Halo: Infinite (Dec. 8th, 2021) - Xbox Series X

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
Well, I would think this Cyberpunk release shows that maybe it’s not the worst thing. No reason to rush it out if its not ready. When they delayed it, I expected next Fall because its the 20th anniversary.
Exactly. Push it back as far as you need to. And then when it’s ready release. One of my favorite sayings: Under promise and over deliver. Cyberpunk could have taken that advice. Too late now for them :/

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Exactly. Push it back as far as you need to. And then when it’s ready release. One of my favorite sayings: Under promise and over deliver. Cyberpunk could have taken that advice. Too late now for them :/
I think what happened with Cyberpunk is that you cannot delay the game so many times as they did, but I also think Covid got into the timely manner the dev teams had to fix these glitches. Like how many times was Cyberpunk delayed? Enough that it was at least more than a year based upon my recollection. Bungie learned a hard lesson after Halo 2 as the game they truly wanted to make turned out to be a disaster at a software standpoint and they had to redo the entire sandbox (example Halo 2 reveal trailer vs Halo 2 demo trailer), while they released the game's release date during the same point. Marty O'Donnell revealed a lot of aspects about Halo 2's development, apparently Halo 2 was supposed to be the final game of the franchise where you fight the Prophet of Truth on the Forerunner ship. Because of a short time development, they decided to scrape the final two missions and make an entire new game in Halo 3. Well, that and I think they signed a deal with Microsoft to create a certain number of Halo titles before their contract expired. But I am always surprised that game companies release dates either in years or full date like a year or two before their release because a lot can go wrong in that time frame.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Highly disagree with this JD, the finale in Halo 3 is by the far one of the most satisfying ending I've had in a game, going back from where you started was an excellent end point I thought. Also insanely disagree about your comments concerning Halo 3 MP balance.

I'm not saying the Halo 3 ending was bad. It was well done. But it was essentially just a redux of The Maw from Halo:CE, so it didn't have as much of an impact on me. I took it as a cute homage more than the 'holy shit, this is craaaaazzzzzzy' reaction I had in Halo:CE.

As far as balance, Halo 3 was a huge improvement over Halo 2, but a large amount of the sandbox was still essentially useless, particularly at high-level play. You could tell they were stuck between trying to undo the damage of dual-wielding without scrapping the feature entirely. Ultimately, they'd just rip off the bandaid and scrap dual-wielding altogether in Reach, which was one of many reasons the weapons in Reach were so much more balanced.

The MLG playlist was a big improvement simply by providing BR starts, a change that the BTB playlist would eventually follow.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I was never really into Halo but I've been playing Halo 3 multiplayer on PC recently and it's a lot of fun. Will definitely be checking out Infinite when it drops and it's awesome to see they're taking the PC version seriously.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Just confirm the return of the thrusters, damnit.

First addition to the sandbox in like 4 tries (dual-wielding, equipment, armor abilities, loadouts/weapon drops) that were actually fantastic and well-loved by the community, and they're going to drop them for a damn grappling hook? C'mon.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Looks nothing like an Xbox 360 game? Wtf?

Everything about this game's graphics has come across as underwhelming, and I've been a fan of the franchise since the original. It's just very lackluster for a flagship title for the new console generation.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Considering how much discussion the botched Cyberpunk release had, I’m surprised more people aren’t angry about the lack of definitive info we’ve gotten about this game. It’s been 8 months since that trailer of what was supposed to be a console-selling game. No details really so far, good or bad. No mentions of a release date. No mentions of new gameplay features, nothing about online multiplayer.

I think 343 has done such a good job polishing up Halo MCC and incorporating PC-crossplay that people are having too much fun to care. Halo 5 still seems to have a solid community too.

Regardless, I definitely expected more details at this point. If they don’t have a lot to show at E3 it would be pretty concerning IMO

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I think what happened with Cyberpunk is that you cannot delay the game so many times as they did, but I also think Covid got into the timely manner the dev teams had to fix these glitches. Like how many times was Cyberpunk delayed? Enough that it was at least more than a year based upon my recollection. Bungie learned a hard lesson after Halo 2 as the game they truly wanted to make turned out to be a disaster at a software standpoint and they had to redo the entire sandbox (example Halo 2 reveal trailer vs Halo 2 demo trailer), while they released the game's release date during the same point. Marty O'Donnell revealed a lot of aspects about Halo 2's development, apparently Halo 2 was supposed to be the final game of the franchise where you fight the Prophet of Truth on the Forerunner ship. Because of a short time development, they decided to scrape the final two missions and make an entire new game in Halo 3. Well, that and I think they signed a deal with Microsoft to create a certain number of Halo titles before their contract expired. But I am always surprised that game companies release dates either in years or full date like a year or two before their release because a lot can go wrong in that time frame.

Yeah Halo 2 development was a mess.

But I think a 3rd game was always planned as original storyboards have been released that are quite cool confirming Humans were Forerunners.

Basically the 3rd game would have been the entire flood war

Reactions: S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah Halo 2 development was a mess.

But I think a 3rd game was always planned as original storyboards have been released that are quite cool confirming Humans were Forerunners.

Basically the 3rd game would have been the entire flood war
I'm trying to get my years right, but that would make sense with Bungie signing with Microsoft to make a certain number of Halo games. Because Halo 2's development was a disaster, they decided to make an entire new game that finalised the Master Chief trilogy. I get that 343 want to make Infinity a 5+ year Halo game, but I fully expect them to make some sort of game on the premise of what you mentioned as their next instalment. It's a cool concept and something that has been mentioned in the storyline like a million times (both via primary and secondary methods).

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
They didn't sign Bungie to a deal.

Microsoft already literally owned Bungie, they didn't need a publishing deal.

Bungie bought themselves out from Microsoft in October 2007, shortly after the release of Halo 3, with Microsoft keeping the Halo IP. At that Recon and Reach were in pre-production, so Bungie and Microsoft decided to finish them together, rather than hand them off to another developer. Bungie started building themselves up and working on the pre-production of Destiny in the same time frame.

The development of Halo 2 was difficult by game industry standards, but not really by Bungie standards. Bungie has a long track record of over-reaching, cutting back, and pulling everything out of the fire at the last minute. Same thing happened with Destiny.

Halo 3 and Halo Reach were pretty smooth sailing though.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014

Looks like we’re back to Halo 3 style equipment pick-ups.

Still hating the lack of thrusters. :(

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Holy smokes that MP looked way better than what ever happened in Halo 5. My biggest worry is that they're going to be too many weapons because it seems 343 is bringing back some old skool ones too including armour (a lot of Halo Reach stuff I saw personally).

And I saw map(s) with an actual sky too and not just platforming rubbish!!!

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Also I forgot to mention that how Staten was talking, it seems to me that both campaign and MP will be released in increments. Would make sense since they probably haven't finished campaign yet at this point.

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
I wonder if the Battlepass is included if you purchase the game? Or are you literally just purchasing the campaign mode? I’m buying the game either way, just curious.

I hope they put out a lot of original Arena maps, and really minimize the amount of Forge maps they include (including going forward much later after launch). Anytime I play H5 or Reach and get forge maps I just get so bummed. I know forge has its place but I just think it brings down the aesthetic so much.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
As someone who didn't like the Halo 5 campaign, I'm excited for this; the world looks beautiful, the art style is cool, the physics look awesome (I love how enemies react to the specific limb targeted and their speed/direction are taken into account at the time of bullet impact), and it looks like there will be environmental destruction.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The recent bump in quality over the last year or so of Halo: MCC has me feeling really good about Halo: Infinite.

I’m guessing most of you here don’t play MCC all that much anymore but it’s been excellent.

Reactions: JaegerDice

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Wife and I played through the campaigns a few months back (I never have) and was great, imagine our dismay when we fire up Halo 5 and no couch coop. Glad to see that the new one will have it for both modes!

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->