Movies: Halloween 2018

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Frankly all of Rob Zombie's films are complete and utter ****. But that's a discussion for another day. :laugh:

The Devil's Rejects was actually for most part pretty good

A bit too vulgar and dumb at parts but overall stands out as his finest film and is certainly enjoyable if your a genre fan

That one with witches or whatever was god awful and last Zombie film I wasted my time on

He just finished making a prequel to Devil's Rejects. Though some people are saying its sequel which doesn't make sense given the ending of Devi's Rejects

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
yo I just saw this and expected it to be terrible but it looks so good :O

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
'Halloween' is poised to have the biggest horror movie opening of the year, and has already broken a record

We shall see how accurate forecast of a 65M+ is

Wont shock me as a lot of fans seem happy to have this film disregard sequels and be fresh chapter in series after the original series dreadful turn (Essentially everything from Revenge of Michael Myers thru Resurrection) and the disappointment with the Zombie remake and its sequel

now they need to finally make that Alien movie that disregards everything after Aliens

Shadowtron

Feb 27, 2002
Earth
I saw it last night. And I'd say about 85% of it was really good. It started a bit slow...but that's to be expected since the movie is re-writing the cannon. It had one moment in the 3rd act that just comes out of nowhere and is a bit jarring.

Jamie Lee Curtis is the strongest of the characters. But for the most part, the rest of the cast did a good job. Even the teens manage to avoid the simple cardboard character types. My least favorite character was Meyer's Doctor (Dr. Sartain). He just seemed to serve no real purpose other than to be a cardboard cutout, Van Helsing archetype. Even had the cliche accent to go with it. Really makes you miss Donald Pleasence.

Michael Meyers was perfect. The director really nailed what made this character so unsettling and enduring back in '78. No Rhyme, No Reason, just an unrelenting killing machine. And the fact that more often than not his murders were just random made it a bit chilling to me.

Mercifully they did away with the brother/sister plot of the previous sequels. Never cared for that story because it was about as clear as mud to me.

All in all, a fun movie, with some problems, but I think fans will definitely enjoy it.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Film made $7.7M at midnight showings

Considering it only had a $10M production budget Universal execs are probably giddy at the thought of how much profit this film will bring studio

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Film made $7.7M at midnight showings

Considering it only had a $10M production budget Universal execs are probably giddy at the thought of how much profit this film will bring studio

This movie is going to be profitable before its opening weekend is even over. That has to be a rare feat, at least nowadays. $60M weekends are common and some movies make over $100M (i.e. nearly double the forecast of this movie) in their first weekend, but those movies usually cost at least that much to make, so even the biggest blockbusters don't start turning a profit until at least the second weekend.

Last edited:

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
The Devil's Rejects was actually for most part pretty good

A bit too vulgar and dumb at parts but overall stands out as his finest film and is certainly enjoyable if your a genre fan

That one with witches or whatever was god awful and last Zombie film I wasted my time on

He just finished making a prequel to Devil's Rejects. Though some people are saying its sequel which doesn't make sense given the ending of Devi's Rejects

yeah great movie. the family was a lot more entertaining than in 1000 corpses and sheriff wydell was a mint “hero”

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
As someone who isn't a fan of the series, or slasher movies in general, I thought this one does a really good job of paying (a lot) of homage to the original while also poking fun at some of the genre cliches that the original helped to establish.

All while staying true to what makes the character so endearing to so many.

There was one twist that was very, very stupid, but honestly these movies are never about the plot so its not that big of a deal. Otherwise I think this movie nails what it is trying to do.

It also has quite a lot of hunour that works quite well. The little conversations characters have while they're waiting around (often unaware they are about to be killed) were very nicely written and gives a little bit more vibrance to the movie. Yes the characters only exist to get killed, but the director does a great job of making them seem like they could exist outside of there couple minutes of screen time.

For my money, easily the best of the franchise, although admittedly I had only seen the originals over the years during those yearly Spike TV marathons. I only saw the 1978 original in full, not edited for TV, earlier in the week to get ready for this one.

So take my opinion for what it is! Which isn't much.

Shadowtron

Feb 27, 2002
Earth
As someone who isn't a fan of the series, or slasher movies in general, I thought this one does a really good job of paying (a lot) of homage to the original while also poking fun at some of the genre cliches that the original helped to establish.

All while staying true to what makes the character so endearing to so many.

There was one twist that was very, very stupid, but honestly these movies are never about the plot so its not that big of a deal. Otherwise I think this movie nails what it is trying to do.

It also has quite a lot of hunour that works quite well. The little conversations characters have while they're waiting around (often unaware they are about to be killed) were very nicely written and gives a little bit more vibrance to the movie. Yes the characters only exist to get killed, but the director does a great job of making them seem like they could exist outside of there couple minutes of screen time.

For my money, easily the best of the franchise, although admittedly I had only seen the originals over the years during those yearly Spike TV marathons. I only saw the 1978 original in full, not edited for TV, earlier in the week to get ready for this one.

So take my opinion for what it is! Which isn't much.

As a long time fan of the series, yeah it's definitely the best of the sequels by a pretty wide margin.

And I absolutely agree about that "twist" near the end. It was about as convincing as having spaceships land at that moment lol. I found to it be as jarring and out of place as the Leia scene in The Last Jedi (if you've seen it then you'll know what I'm talking about).

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Saw it yesterday...was expecting it to be better than it was, the first 45 minutes were a complete waste and could have "set up" the story in 10. Barely any jumps and it was hardly creepy. B-Horror movie that is better left to watch at your house on your couch on a rainy night.

It was very obvious it only had a 10M budget.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
It was ok. Not good, not bad.

Agree with others though. Not scary at all. Not even the "jump scares" did anything for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad