Hall of Shame: Alex Mogilny Should be in HOF

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
I have Mogilny being just a little bit short of HOF credentials. I don't know if worse guys are already in...but he falls just short. If he would've gotten maybe to 500 goals, or if he didn't get hurt in the 93 playoffs and continued a torrid pace a little longer I'd vote him in. Good player though, very good. Injuries probably cost him a little to me as well. I remember hearing something that when he broke his leg in the 93 playoffs that people were wondering where in the heck is a stretcher or ambulance etc to put him on. Maybe you guys can help with clarification on that incident?

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
IMO, the hiccup for Mogilny's chances is that he combined a lack of (in season) durability like Forsberg/Lindros with the highs of players who get in due to longevity. It seems shocking to look back and see that he only played 5x 70+ game seasons out of 16 total.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
...Not to mention, to vote for him for the Hart in 1992-93, a voter pretty much had to vote for two Buffalo Sabres... When he only had three votes.

That would've made no sense whatsoever. None. It's not like the Sabres finished the year with 120 pts or something like that, and it's not like there was remotely a case for Mogilny over.. say, Doug Gilmour. Who wasn't even the best non-Lafontaine skater that season!

Yep. That 93 season seems mind-blowing...until you take a look at what everyone else was doing that season and realize a half-dozen guys had even bigger years (including another Sabre who was correctly considered to be better than AM).

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
What Mogilny and Selanne accomplished in 92-93 (76 goals) has only been bettered by Gretzky (2x), Lemieux and Hull (1x each) and hasn't been touched by anyone since. The only guys that are eligible for the Hall that even scored 60+ that aren't in are Nicholls, Leach, Maruk. And Mogilny missed seven games that year.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: Vanzig

Vanzig

Aug 6, 2018
Vancouver, B.C.
I laugh when I see people say Oh Mogilny was only a 2nd team all star twice and only led the nhl in goals once, you look at CAREER, Its NOT Hall of PEAK. MOGILNY should be in the HOF, I can make about a 100 Players he was way better than (SKILL/STATS WISE).
He won Stanley cup, scored 50+ goals many times, Scored 76 Goals one season and his career numbers are over a POINT A GAME. Yes he belongs, If Bure, Yakushev, Shutt, Boivin, Laprade, Armstrong, Gillies etc etc are IN the HOF then why not him. I have HUNDREDS of Games on VHS/DVD-r and have watched them over n over and even though he wasn’t the most vocal and likeable guy its what you do ON THE ICE that counts!!!
1000+ Points in under 1000 Games prove’s he did it in his long PRO Career.

Reactions: frisco

Vanzig

Aug 6, 2018
Vancouver, B.C.
You realize how era-dependant that is?

It’s easy to blame the “ERA” debate, so I guess hockey is better today than ever right?? Yes certain era’s are weaker but you have players from the 1920’s/1930’s/1940’s/1950’s that would get killed in hockey eras from 1970’s to present.
Regardless of era MOGILNY was an all star and was better than a HELL OF ALOT of players that are currently in the HOF.

I know there’s opinion, bias, people like their OWN teams and yes MOGILNY isn’t one of the “good old Canadian boys” but he was an amazing player who I believe should be in HOF.

Yes Hockey has 1 of the weakest HOF and Baseball has done a great job but if you can name 50 players that were a lot worse than Mogilny and they are in the HOF does that not give him a chance?
Look at MIDDLETON, one of the best danglers, one on one deadly goal scorers (finally getting his number retired)
If we do the whole ERA thing then lets erase ALL of hockey history. I don’t know if you care for MOGILNY or not or if your “era” biased type person but I simply believe he belongs along with a lot of others who have been passed over eh.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
It’s easy to blame the “ERA” debate, so I guess hockey is better today than ever right??

That's exactly my opinion, which is why I spend my spare time on a board dedicated to the history of hockey... ;)

No, era consideration is a must - not because one era was better than the other, but because the level of scoring differs significantly from era to era. For example, the O6 era was a much lower scoring era than the 1980s. Which means absolute scoring numbers don't tell us a lot about a player's rank as a scorer among his peers, let alone in history. Mogilny scoring X goals (or points) in Y games might sound nice, but the question is: where does that actually put him among his contemporaries?

Vanzig

Aug 6, 2018
Vancouver, B.C.
That's exactly my opinion, which is why I spend my spare time on a board dedicated to the history of hockey... ;)

No, era consideration is a must - not because one era was better than the other, but because the level of scoring differs significantly from era to era. For example, the O6 era was a much lower scoring era than the 1980s. Which means absolute scoring numbers don't tell us a lot about a player's rank as a scorer among his peers, let alone in history. Mogilny scoring X goals (or points) in Y games might sound nice, but the question is: where does that actually put him among his contemporaries?

I like all era’s, I love the history of hockey too, I just feel the HOF inducted players that shouldn’t be in their, I personally feel the way Mogilny played (skill wise) in his prime was great, I saw a ton of games here in Vancouver and I’m NOT a Canucks super fan at all. But if you don’t score or get assists (points) which is the objective of the game then how do you rank a guy? People don’t rank players by how he turns on the ice with his skating etc. I cant believe the NHL doesn’t even consider the “SHORTHANDED GOAL” a Major Stat in the NHL Hockey Record Books. All they have is (In 1 game, or in a season) there is no CAREER. Remember Mogilny didn’t play in the 1980s, He started in 1992-93 and played in the dead puck era hop thru 2006, so he really only played in 3 seasons of the so called “High scoring era”. I know he was moody just like BARRASSO (who I also think should be in HOF) but the 5X All Star, Stanley Cup Champion and 2 time 2nd Team All Star is not bad at all if I say so. The problem with Mogilny is their were way too many superstars in his era as opposed to the 31 team “watered” down NHL today. But we alll have are opinions and that’s the great thing about hockey/sports is we all have the love for the game which is what counts :)

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Do you think MOGILNY deserves to be in HOF?
What didn’t he do, I would like to hear yer opinion on him

Aside from a Byng he never won any individual awards.
He never came close to leading the nhl in scoring.
He doesn't have great playoff numbers for a player of his caliber.
He was known to not preform as well when not in contract years.

No offense to the guy, he was a great player but no way should he be in the HHOF.

Vanzig

Aug 6, 2018
Vancouver, B.C.

No offense to the guy, he was a great player but no way should he be in the HHOF.

I agree on the contract squabble but it happened with BURE and Hundreds of players, But I can also name 40+ other players IN the HOF right now that never won an major award and have less than desireable numbers. But like I said, all of us hockey nuts have are favs and opinions. I think THEO FLEURY should def be in HOF as well. But Hockey HOF messed up and baseball did it right by only having the elite of elite.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
But I can also name 40+ other players

There's plenty I'd take out of the HHOF. That being said as good as Mogilny was I don't think he's HHOF caliber.

There are also worse players then him in it.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Do you think MOGILNY deserves to be in HOF?
What didn’t he do, I would like to hear yer opinion on him

There's no one thing that gets anybody in or keeps them out.

Two notables against Mogilny's induction, IMO are:
1) Due to injury, lockout and ineffectiveness... he failed to crack the 50 point mark in nearly half of his seasons (7/16). That's a shockingly high number for somebody who wasn't dominant.
2) His playoff numbers are pretty bad for a player of his caliber.

Both of those points look worse because he played such a significant portion of his career in a vry high scoring era (1/3 of it).

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
There's no one thing that gets anybody in or keeps them out.

Two notables against Mogilny's induction, IMO are:
1) Due to injury, lockout and ineffectiveness... he failed to crack the 50 point mark in nearly half of his seasons (7/16). That's a shockingly high number for somebody who wasn't dominant.
2) His playoff numbers are pretty bad for a player of his caliber.

Both of those points look worse because he played such a significant portion of his career in a vry high scoring era (1/3 of it).
There's seems to be a double standard in place. Cam Neely or Pavel Bure get sympathy, for lack of a better word, for being injured a lot of the time but for Mogilny that counts as a negative? While we're on the subject, Neely avoided the DPE altogether and played his entire career in a high scoring era but had less points/game than Alex who played through the heart of the dead puck. And Mogilny played like 300 more games and has a Cup. I don't want to make this a Mogilny vs. Neely thread but most people don't question Neely's spot in the HHOF but it seems Alex is more qualified.

My Best-Carey

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

There are plenty of guys in the HHOF that don't have any individual awards.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Yep. That 93 season seems mind-blowing...until you take a look at what everyone else was doing that season and realize a half-dozen guys had even bigger years (including another Sabre who was correctly considered to be better than AM).

Mogilny was 2nd in GPG and 4th in PPG. Brett Hull won a Hart Trophy one year where his linemate had a 0.20 better PPG ratio. Yes, Oates missed 20 games, but still. The difference between Lafontaine and Mogilny was closer, 0.12.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
In 1988-89 Bernie Nicholls was 4th in scoring with 150 points (70 goals).
In 1981-82 Denis Maruk was 4th in scoring with 136 points (60 goals).

Are these guys HHOF players? Nicholls was better then Mogilny and he's not in, why don't you make a thread about him instead?

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Are these guys HHOF players? Nicholls was better then Mogilny and he's not in, why don't you make a thread about him instead?

Instead? I didn't start this thread. I don't think Mogilny has a particularly strong HHOF resume, by the way. As many other posters have said many times on this board: he had HHOF talent but couldn't string together a cohesive/consistent enough career for whatever reasons (injuries, defection, character issues, fear of flying, etc.).

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I laugh when I see people say Oh Mogilny was only a 2nd team all star twice and only led the nhl in goals once, you look at CAREER, Its NOT Hall of PEAK. MOGILNY should be in the HOF, I can make about a 100 Players he was way better than (SKILL/STATS WISE).
He won Stanley cup, scored 50+ goals many times, Scored 76 Goals one season and his career numbers are over a POINT A GAME. Yes he belongs, If Bure, Yakushev, Shutt, Boivin, Laprade, Armstrong, Gillies etc etc are IN the HOF then why not him. I have HUNDREDS of Games on VHS/DVD-r and have watched them over n over and even though he wasn’t the most vocal and likeable guy its what you do ON THE ICE that counts!!!
1000+ Points in under 1000 Games prove’s he did it in his long PRO Career.

seeing as how he only scored 50 goals twice, i think the bolded statements are in contradiction.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
In 1988-89 Bernie Nicholls was 4th in scoring with 150 points (70 goals).
In 1981-82 Denis Maruk was 4th in scoring with 136 points (60 goals).

Nicholls was not better than Mogilny. Mogilny was not a one-hit wonder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad