Hall of Shame: Alex Mogilny Should be in HOF

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I have no idea why up until now I never knew that Mogilny got a 10 game suspension for pushing a ref. How on earth did I just hear about that today? Or am I getting old and don't remember it? Okay, maybe it is the second one...................but I honestly can't recall it at all.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Okay in all seriousness with Mogilny why is he all of the sudden becoming this legend that we MUST induct? We love his 1993 season and even his 1996 year, and his 2001 sort of game him that rejuvenation. But this was a prime Mogilny right here:

1997 - 73 points in 76 games
1998 - 45 points in 51 games
1999 - 45 points in 59 games
2000 - 44 points in 59 games

There isn't a lot to complain about when he was in Buffalo other than he was hurt a lot. But what sort of HHOFer gets in with that being what should have been his prime years? Then he has a nice year in 2001 and everyone blows their lid.

He had two great seasons and that was it. He was not good in the postseason and didn't do much when he won the Cup. The following year he collapsed in the final. What am I missing?

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Okay in all seriousness with Mogilny why is he all of the sudden becoming this legend that we MUST induct? We love his 1993 season and even his 1996 year, and his 2001 sort of game him that rejuvenation. But this was a prime Mogilny right here:

There isn't a lot to complain about when he was in Buffalo other than he was hurt a lot. But what sort of HHOFer gets in with that being what should have been his prime years? Then he has a nice year in 2001 and everyone blows their lid.

He had two great seasons and that was it. He was not good in the postseason and didn't do much when he won the Cup. The following year he collapsed in the final. What am I missing?

It wasn't quite his "prime", but from 2002 - 2004, Selanne managed only 150 points in 242 games - which is essentially a 50 point scorer

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
a user posted his transcription of an hourlong swedish radio special with markus naslund on the canucks board. here are the relevant parts about mogilny, whom he saw at the 1989 world championships when it was in sweden (and, he implies, patterned his wrist shot after), and later played with in vancouver.

an interesting take on mogilny's "free spirit," possibly from firsthand knowledge as those guys did play together for almost four seasons.

Wow, that's interesting. Markus sure knows a lot and they must have talked a lot too. In a very polite way, he's saying Almo spent a good chunk of his career playing just for money and not really enjoying it. And it sure looked like that sometimes.

In that sense, you might argue Mogilny was also a pioneer of the Russians who at times looked like giving their best once in every four games. Those who used their talent to coast, doing just enough to get around.

It seems certain people were always aware his drive could just drop off at any moment:

It wasn't quite his "prime", but from 2002 - 2004, Selanne managed only 150 points in 242 games - which is essentially a 50 point scorer

Chronic knee troubles. You're not getting anywhere in a sprinting speed based sport unless your knees are working properly.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Surprisingly good English on Mogilny in the video above. Many Russians never really develop their command of English all that much.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

You aren't missing a thing phil, he is in no way a Hall of Famer.

He easily had the talent to be one but certainly not the career.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
I think some people might be overthinking this. Over 1000 points and 1.04 points per game in the heart of the Dead Puck should get you in.

My Best-Carey

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
I think some people might be overthinking this. Over 1000 points and 1.04 points per game in the heart of the Dead Puck should get you in.

My Best-Carey

In the heart of the dead puck era, Almo's production took a hit. His greatest seasons happened when the overall scoring spiked and offense flourished, which is I think one of the reasons so many people oppose his possible induction.

He has two top ten finishes, albeit strong ones based on goals, about five other decent seasons scattered all over his career, usually spoiled by injuries and games missed. The 02/03 season should have been his third top ten finish. In 2000/01 , he could have flirted with 50 goals, but... He simply played too little.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan

My Best-Carey
Actually, in the so-called Dead Puck Era, during Mogilny's career (1997-98 to 2005-06, his last season), he ranks 25th in points-per-game. Only twice in the Dead Puck Era did he score over 60 points.

Mogilny had a grand total of 5 seasons (on four teams) in which he fully lived up to his potential. Outside of those 5 seasons (two of which largely resulted from Pat Lafontaine), he was Doug Wickenheiser.

Now, 5 great seasons is significant, but when they occur with four different teams, it should tell us something. If you traded for Mogilny, you knew you'd get one great season out of him -- in his contract year.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
My statement remains.

Go look at HHOF.

Check out how many Russians are there and how many from USA.

Then tell me that my statement is incorrect.

I only registered here to ask a question and I haven't watched all that much hockey in the past 15-20 years for obvious reasons. So I can't comment on Ovechkin or Malkin, Datsyuk or any new generation Russian players. Maybe they're better I have no idea.

But in the 90's, the only Russian who was a real impact player deserving of the HOF was Fedorov(sorry if I spelled that wrong). The rest, including Mogilny, Bure, Kovalev ect were just floaters who had 1 or 2 peak seasons. Or simply not good enough. Maybe Larianov would of been good in the 80's, he was already old by the time he went to the NHL.

Either way it's a good think they didn't have stricter doping tests in the 90's, if recent olympic escapades are any indication of Russian fair play....Well...

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
I only registered here to ask a question and I haven't watched all that much hockey in the past 15-20 years for obvious reasons. So I can't comment on Ovechkin or Malkin, Datsyuk or any new generation Russian players. Maybe they're better I have no idea.

But in the 90's, the only Russian who was a real impact player deserving of the HOF was Fedorov(sorry if I spelled that wrong). The rest, including Mogilny, Bure, Kovalev ect were just floaters who had 1 or 2 peak seasons. Or simply not good enough. Maybe Larianov would of been good in the 80's, he was already old by the time he went to the NHL.

Either way it's a good think they didn't have stricter doping tests in the 90's, if recent olympic escapades are any indication of Russian fair play....Well...

Bure was an all-time talent. I don't think that is disputable, really.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Bure was an all-time talent. I don't think that is disputable, really.

That's nice and I don't dispute that. I still have no idea why he's in the hall of fame considering how much of a floater he was and how short his career was.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
During his career (1989-2006) Mogilny was 1.04 points/game. Every player during that time period (500 GP or more) with a better rate is in the Hall save Jagr (not eligible) and Turgeon. And it is higher than Fleury, Fedorov, Shanahan, Sundin, Modano whose careers almost completely overlapped Mogilny's.

My Best-Carey

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
During his career (1989-2006) Mogilny was 1.04 points/game. Every player during that time period (500 GP or more) with a better rate is in the Hall save Jagr (not eligible) and Turgeon. And it is higher than Fleury, Fedorov, Shanahan, Sundin, Modano whose careers almost completely overlapped Mogilny's.

My Best-Carey
Sneaky Pete for the HOF. You heard it here first!

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I'm repeating myself here but while considering Mogilny's hall of fame case, ask yourself what your standard of excellence is. If your cut off point aligns with that of existing hall of famers of the lower tier like Bernie Federko then yes, absolutely, Mogilny is a hall of famer.

But if your standard is an imaginary hall of famer from an imaginary hall of fame in an imaginary land of your own mind, where only flawless players become hall of famers, then I guess you might not see Mogilny as a hall of famer.

Reactions: Troubadour

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Okay in all seriousness with Mogilny why is he all of the sudden becoming this legend that we MUST induct?

There isn't a lot to complain about when he was in Buffalo other than he was hurt a lot. But what sort of HHOFer gets in with that being what should have been his prime years?

See above.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad