Hall of Shame: Alex Mogilny Should be in HOF

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Speaking of Ziggy Palffy, I'd consider inducting him over Mogilny, but he wasn't lucky enough to have a spike year in the fluke 1992-93 season.

Give Ziggy an extra ~10 goals spread across 3 seasons and suddenly we're talking about a 3 time 50 goal scorer in the DPE. He seemed to have a weird knack for scoring at the high end of each goal threshold, if that makes sense. High forties, high thirties, high twenties. Really doesn't make a difference in the grand scheme of things, but keeps him from those nice even-number milestones that the HHOF seems to love. My all-time favourite player, but realistically needed a minimum of two more really productive years or a deeper playoff run to get to the Kariya category of 'strong-maybe' for the HHOF.

i loved palffy, and he was one of the most underrated players of that era for sure. not enough people saw his and deadmarsh's heroics in the '01 playoffs to upset detroit, and his '03 season which i think was his best is often totally overlooked because he was on such a terrible team.

but i don't think you can compare palffy to mogilny. fewer games, way fewer complete seasons, and best vs. best i just don't think he was as good of a player as mogilny was. i feel like palffy has maybe started to get the lafontaine treatment, where he was so underrated when he played but because of per game numbers has maybe started to get over-romanticized after his career. again, i say this a big palffy fan.

but assuming you are counting the '96 season in the "~10 goals spread across three seasons," that's not a DPE year. 1996 had eight 50 goal scorers, twelve 45 goal scorers (palffy finished tied for 14th in goals), twelve 100 point scorers, and twenty-two 90 point scorers (palffy finished tied for 23rd in points). you would have to add 19 goals to the '97, '98, and '01 seasons to push palffy to "3 time 50 goal scorer in the DPE."

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
i loved palffy, and he was one of the most underrated players of that era for sure. not enough people saw his and deadmarsh's heroics in the '01 playoffs to upset detroit, and his '03 season which i think was his best is often totally overlooked because he was on such a terrible team.

but i don't think you can compare palffy to mogilny. fewer games, way fewer complete seasons, and best vs. best i just don't think he was as good of a player as mogilny was. i feel like palffy has maybe started to get the lafontaine treatment, where he was so underrated when he played but because of per game numbers has maybe started to get over-romanticized after his career. again, i say this a big palffy fan.

but assuming you are counting the '96 season in the "~10 goals spread across three seasons," that's not a DPE year. 1996 had eight 50 goal scorers, twelve 45 goal scorers (palffy finished tied for 14th in goals), twelve 100 point scorers, and twenty-two 90 point scorers (palffy finished tied for 23rd in points). you would have to add 19 goals to the '97, '98, and '01 seasons to push palffy to "3 time 50 goal scorer in the DPE."

On the other hand, Palffy was a lot more consistent than Mogilny, ending up with 4 seasons in the top 10 of points vs 2 for Almo.

I wouldn't induct either.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Apart from the awesome skill, he may have been the best clean corner player I've ever seen since Dave Keon.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
More points than Lindros, Bure and Kariya.
More points per game than Kariya, approximately the same as Bure and Lindros.
Only one of the four to get over 1000 points.

Best of all (and this should put him in the HHOF): He alone amongst the 4 won a stanley cup.

He should be an obvious selection.

(I like Kariya too for the HHOF)

Well for starters he had a mere 7 points during the Devils run to the Cup in 2000. This wasn't a defenseman or a purely defensive forward, this was a guy who you'd count on to score goals, and he didn't. Well, he did in a contract year, you could always count on that.

No, the guy was wildly inconsistent. It wasn't just game in game out, shift in shift out. It was SEASON by SEASON he was inconsistent. When did he have two good years in a row? He didn't. He was always a guy that you feel as if could have done it if he wanted to but he never did.

Plus he had a really bad spell in his prime too. 1996-'00 he did nothing of note. Heck, there was a season where he played 75% of the games where he only scored 14 goals. These were low times for Mogilny and this is in the prime of his career. Unlike Fedorov he doesn't have the postseasons to fall back on.

Sorry, I wouldn't put him in, and for some reason his career has aged well in the minds of people. Remember one thing, it was one of the best well-known jokes in the NHL - and everyone knew it - that he would disappear once he signed a big deal but would play well in a contract year.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
I think a thousand points and over a point/game through the heart of the dead puck era gets in.

My Best-Carey

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
The fact that Zubov has such a underwhelming award resume is ridiculous. Mogilny also.

Maybe not Mogilny, but Zubov was probably shafted a few times. He also had the bad luck to play in an era of some outstanding great defensemen. If he had played in the early 80s he would have had his Norris.

To illustrate how badly screwed Zubov was by the voters, in '96'-97 he was ranked 19th in all-star team voting among defensemen behind the great Sylvain Lefebvre.

Last edited:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Also saying that Mogilny has no case for HHOF when Bernie Federko is in takes a lot of historical ignorance. He has a case.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
7th and 9th in points, 1st and 6th in goals. That's it. I don't see what he brings to the HHOF, not everyone who was a great talent should be inducted. Does Mogilny open doors that shouldn't be opened? Quite possibly. I think so.

Turgeon and Palffy would be next in line...

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
HOF-talent but not HOF-career.
This is the correct answer.

The standards for the hockey hall of fame really need to be higher, it's kind of embarrassing the players that now get in and that guys like Mogilny are talked about as potential entries. A guy who had the type of career Mogilny had should never get in or even be considered.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
If his career year was in any season other than the freak 92-93, nobody would ever talk about him as a HHOFer. As is, he has a non-trivial shot of getting in, with the way the HHOF is loading up on high scorers from the 80s and early 90s.

Reactions: Sentinel

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
If his career year was in any season other than the freak 92-93, nobody would ever talk about him as a HHOFer. As is, he has a non-trivial shot of getting in, with the way the HHOF is loading up on high scorers from the 80s and early 90s.

Strange and frankly unacceptable logic.

If his career year took place in any season other than the freak 92/93, we're totally clueless as to how his perception would change because we know nothing about how his new career year would look both in itself and within the context of that hypothetical season.

As a matter of fact, if anything, his career year may be flying under the radar since there were so many other career highs and much more powerful stories that season. Your take is a good example of what I'm talking about.

As for the what if game, if he hadn't broken both of his legs, maybe we wouldn't be putting up with him being in conversation for a HHoF spot. Maybe he would be already in.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i have mogilny in the bernie nicholls ballpark of 2.5 year wonders, with a crazy 1.5 year peak that was propelled by an exceptional situation. (with mogilny, i don't mean lafontaine, i mean that entire powerplay unit. they were only 8th in the league in '93, but that group was out for almost all of every buffalo PP. that unit was 2nd, 3rd, 8th, and 3th in powerplay goals on the ice for, with mogilny in 13th place and almost certainly cracking the top ten if he hadn't missed seven games. ftr, the fifth guy, doug bodger, was 31st.)

mogilny has the best non-exceptional season ('96 > nicholls' 100 point year), and i think generally in years like '01 and '03 was a better player than nicholls' 4th and 5th best seasons (i guess those would be the years he flirted with 100 points in the mid-80s?), but nicholls has a much better playoff record.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Strange and frankly unacceptable logic.

If his career year took place in any season other than the freak 92/93, we're totally clueless as to how his perception would change because we know nothing about how his new career year would look both in itself and within the context of that hypothetical season.

As a matter of fact, if anything, his career year may be flying under the radar since there were so many other career highs and much more powerful stories that season. Your take is a good example of what I'm talking about.

As for the what if game, if he hadn't broken both of his legs, maybe we wouldn't be putting up with him being in conversation for a HHoF spot. Maybe he would be already in.

My point is that 92-93 was the easiest season in NHL history for top players to put up ridiculous point totals. There have been multiple threads on this forum as to why that was the case.

I mean... just look at all the 100 point scorers:

1.Mario Lemieux* • PIT160
2.Pat LaFontaine* • BUF148
3.Adam Oates* • BOS142
4.Steve Yzerman* • DET137
5.Pierre Turgeon • NYI132
Teemu Selanne* • WIN132
7.Doug Gilmour* • TOR127
Alexander Mogilny • BUF127
9.Luc Robitaille* • LAK125
10.Mark Recchi* • PHI123
11.Mats Sundin* • QUE114
12.Kevin Stevens • PIT111
13.Pavel Bure* • VAN110
14.Rick Tocchet • PIT109
15.Jeremy Roenick • CHI107
16.Craig Janney • STL106
17.Joe Sakic* • QUE105
18.Joe Juneau • BOS102
19.Brett Hull* • STL101
20.Theoren Fleury • CGY100
Ron Francis* • PIT100
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I realize he had more goals than any of them, but when Mogilny's career season doesn't completely distinguish himself from Oates, Turgeon, Robitaille, Recchi, or Sundin, and he has quite a bit less "meat" on his resume than any of them, maybe he just isn't a HHOFer based on on-ice performance.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
More points than Lindros, Bure and Kariya.
More points per game than Kariya, approximately the same as Bure and Lindros.
Only one of the four to get over 1000 points.

Best of all (and this should put him in the HHOF): He alone amongst the 4 won a stanley cup.

He should be an obvious selection.

(I like Kariya too for the HHOF)

Lindros won a Hart trophy and was the most dominant player in the game for a 3 year period. Just because someone has a lot of points, doesn't mean they should go in the Hall.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
I think we are all forgetting that this isn't the NHL hall of fame but the Hockey Hall of Fame.

- Olympic Gold
- WJC Gold
- WC Gold
- Triple Gold Club
- First Russian player to defect (people seem to forget how big of deal this was in the world of hockey at the time)

Along with a cup and over a PPG career in NHL, I think he absolutely belongs.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
He was a guy walking to the beat of a different drum but he had a fantastic career and certainly as good or better than some of the recent inductees:

1032 points in 990 games:

Awards and achievements

NHL All-Star Game(s) – 1992, 1993, 1994, 1996, 2001, 2003 (Injured)
NHL Second All-Star Team – 1993, 1996
NHL Stanley Cup Champion – 2000 with the New Jersey Devils
1992–93 NHL Season – Goal Scoring Leader (76) (*tied) (since 1999, this distinction has been awarded the Maurice "Rocket" Richard Trophy)
2002–03 NHL Season – Lady Byng Memorial Trophy
(NHL) 1992–93 Season – Game-Winning Goals (11) (1st)[19]
Buffalo Sabres Hall of Fame (Inducted on January 1, 2011)
(IIHF) 1988 World Junior Championships - All-Star Team
(IIHF) 1988 World Junior Championships - (Best Forward)

Alexander Mogilny - Wikipedia

take away everything that is not personal achievement-- that is the first argument most will give

also--take away the IIHL all star and best forward awards--their system if another discussion all togther--so he made the Buffalo sabres hall of fame--for NHL HOF that means little

his NHL trophy case has the Lady Byng and that is it

Glenn Anderson who's stats are similier only got in because of the fact he had 6 cup rings and 214 playoff points to Mogilny's 86 and Anderson's playoff pts gets him in over Mogilny--

here are a list of players a head of Mogilny who are not in the hall yet-that can be in

Doug Weight
Bobby Smith
Pat Verbeek
Ray Whitney
Keith Tkachuk
Dave Taylor
Theoren Fleury
Daniel Alfredsson
Rod Brind'Amour
Vincent Damphousse
Bernie Nicholls
Jeremy Roenick
Jarome Iginla
Pierre Turgeon

All those guys have more points the Alex M

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
He isn't.
He's in the American Hall of Fame, which is a different institution, and has no bearing on Mogilny's case.

Sorry. I meant Clark Gillies. Thinking one name, typing another. Less than 700 points. He's in because of 4 cups - a team accomplishment.

But, I could list off a number of comparable players to Molginy.

Joe Mullen. Mullen was a ppg for 1000 plus games. He played a big chunk of those in the run and gun 80s. He's in.

Bernie Federko. Played most of his career in the 80s. 1100 points in 1000 plus games, and didn't break 400 goals. He's in.

Glenn Anderson was a sub ppg player and he's in. He benefited from one of the best rosters of all time.

Guys like Gartner and Ciccarelli are because they managed to play 20 years and were extremely consistent. If Alex had been able to play that long he surpasses both of them for total points. Gartner doesn't have a cup ring (which seems to help bubble guys get in and weights too heavily imo).

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
My point is that 92-93 was the easiest season in NHL history for top players to put up ridiculous point totals. There have been multiple threads on this forum as to why that was the case.

I mean... just look at all the 100 point scorers:

1.Mario Lemieux* • PIT160
2.Pat LaFontaine* • BUF148
3.Adam Oates* • BOS142
4.Steve Yzerman* • DET137
5.Pierre Turgeon • NYI132
Teemu Selanne* • WIN132
7.Doug Gilmour* • TOR127
Alexander Mogilny • BUF127
9.Luc Robitaille* • LAK125
10.Mark Recchi* • PHI123
11.Mats Sundin* • QUE114
12.Kevin Stevens • PIT111
13.Pavel Bure* • VAN110
14.Rick Tocchet • PIT109
15.Jeremy Roenick • CHI107
16.Craig Janney • STL106
17.Joe Sakic* • QUE105
18.Joe Juneau • BOS102
19.Brett Hull* • STL101
20.Theoren Fleury • CGY100
Ron Francis* • PIT100
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I realize he had more goals than any of them, but when Mogilny's career season doesn't completely distinguish himself from Oates, Turgeon, Robitaille, Recchi, or Sundin, and he has quite a bit less "meat" on his resume than any of them, maybe he just isn't a HHOFer based on on-ice performance.

His 92/93 season was noticeably sexier than Sundin's and while he was tied with Selanne for goals, he played 7 fewer games. I know, crazy year... But Almo was on pace for over 80 goals (82 actually) and almost 140 points. Suddenly much less indistinguishable from the other monster years of the era. Or just better.

He was on pace for 100 points the year before and even the year after. As lukewarm and hit-or-miss as he would eventually become, if he had been just a little bit healthier during his prime, his career would probably look very HHoF worthy to (many more people than just) me.

So it's not as much a matter of "having a fluke monster year among a dozen of fluke monster years" but rather "being injured too much in his prime" to me.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
There have been enough “meh” inductions of players from the 80’s and 90’s, we don’t need anymore.

Of course that’s not gonna stop the HHOF committee.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad