Hall of Fame

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Mark Howe

I'm still surprised that Mark Howe hasn't been elected and I don't think he even got serious consideration and this is a weak year.

In a stronger year, Neely wouldn't have made it either.

Maybe they should bring back the veterans category.

It will be interesting when potentially Messier, Yzerman, Francis, Stevens and other great players may be eligible all at the same time.

moneyp said:
Kharlamov is a no-brainer. Shame they couldn't have gotten him in while alive. I wouldn't have elected Neely, but it ain't my Hall of Fame. I think there are many better available candidates out there.

The door is all but closed on Anderson, Mark Howe, Vachon, Dave Taylor (well, he has a chance as an exec, I guess) and many others. Shame.

Hab-a-maniac

Sep 28, 2003
Toronto via Calgary!
Visit site
Two guys who are locks for next year, IMO are Roy and Gilmour. Explain the logic of Gilles making it and Anderson not. He was a better reg. season performer and arguably a better playoff performer as well. 93 playoff goals, somewhere around a dozen game winners and 4 OT goals. He could get it done in the clutch. Stupid HOF goes for nice guys and just because Anderson's a deadbeat dad doesn't mean he doesn't deserve the nod. But if this coming season is the last for many stars such as Yzerman, Francis, Stevens, Oates (wait, didn't he already retire?), Messier, etc. then we will have some amazing classes in the years of 2007-09.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Good to see Kharlamov finally recognized, this was long overdue in my opinion. It is good though that the commitee is looking beyond NHL accomplishments. Mikhailov had a great international career and played very well in his matchups against NHL players. He should follow VK at some point.

I have to believe that Herb Brooks will be honoured at some point as well.

And I agree with you guys, a few players may have seen their chances expire a la Lorne Chabot. You get passed over enough times and it becomes automatic in some peoples minds.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Door closed on Vachon a long time ago. I don't see it open for Taylor or Mark Howe, either. Don't know if it was ever open for Larmer, Lowe or Doug Wilson. Sergei Makarov, Glenn Anderson and Dino Ciccarelli still have a chance, but I think this was their best chance for at least the next three to five years.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
What do people have against Glenn Anderson that they won't vote him in? Bernie Federko and Clarke Gillies are in, but not Glenn Anderson....

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Anderson

Jim Gregory of the selection committee admitted that off-ice behaviour is a factor in being chosen for induction. That might be working against Glenn Anderson & Dino
Ciccarelli.

Not sure about Anderson's reputation other than rumors but I do know of Ciccarelli's troubles. Ciccarelli suing one of the NHL teams probably doesn't help his case.

go kim johnsson said:
What do people have against Glenn Anderson that they won't vote him in? Bernie Federko and Clarke Gillies are in, but not Glenn Anderson....

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
ClassicHockey said:
Jim Gregory of the selection committee admitted that off-ice behaviour is a factor in being chosen for induction. That might be working against Glenn Anderson & Dino
Ciccarelli.

Not sure about Anderson's reputation other than rumors but I do know of Ciccarelli's troubles. Ciccarelli suing one of the NHL teams probably doesn't help his case.

I guess if a player on-ice accomplishments were big enough if wouldn`t matter, but may be a factor with the borderline guys. Vanbiesbrouck`s stupidity a couple of years ago likely buried his chances.

King_Brown

If Al Strachan is in the HOF, then Chris Clark should be also.

Ogopogo*

King_Brown said:
If Al Strachan is in the HOF, then Chris Clark should be also.

If Al Strachan is in the HOF, I should be in.

Is he really? OMG. :eek:

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
There was a good debate on Mtl. radio regarding the inclusion of international players,after the Kharlamov announcement. I saw him play about 20 games and was very impressed, somewhere between,Lafleur and Cournoyer imo. The debate was regarding whether the committee in place is qualified to vote on these players or is just trying to be politically correct. If the door is open to the world's best players, and it should be by the hall's own definition, how many voting members are qualified ? Should there be a separate voting body ? Should journalists or retired scouts with int'l. experience be used ? I'd venture a guess that some of our European posters know more about some past Euro stars than the hhof does. You can't elect guys simply based on tournament performance.

Ogopogo*

mcphee said:
There was a good debate on Mtl. radio regarding the inclusion of international players,after the Kharlamov announcement. I saw him play about 20 games and was very impressed, somewhere between,Lafleur and Cournoyer imo. The debate was regarding whether the committee in place is qualified to vote on these players or is just trying to be politically correct. If the door is open to the world's best players, and it should be by the hall's own definition, how many voting members are qualified ? Should there be a separate voting body ? Should journalists or retired scouts with int'l. experience be used ? I'd venture a guess that some of our European posters know more about some past Euro stars than the hhof does. You can't elect guys simply based on tournament performance.

I think that the HOF voters are too inconsistent, and lenient that they have made the HOF honor less than it should be. I take HOF inductions with a grain of salt. Some are deserved and some are not, IMO.

I suspect the voters picked Kharlamov on reputation alone and not on acutal performance. He could have been one of the all time greats but, I am not convinced that the HOF voters know for sure.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
mcphee said:
There was a good debate on Mtl. radio regarding the inclusion of international players,after the Kharlamov announcement. I saw him play about 20 games and was very impressed, somewhere between,Lafleur and Cournoyer imo.

I agree. What's funny is that prior to hockey on network television, this is about as often as most people had gotten to see most hockey players (that weren't on their team) play. It's really hard to get a definitive read on a player unless you have the opportunity to watch them game in and game out.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
mcphee said:

Yes, I was talking about this awhile back. Who on the current Hall of Fame committee is qualified to be judging the European players of the past? No disrespect to them, because they have a wealth of hockey knowledge and experience but there should be some International representation on the committee. So I agree that it should be looked at. As well, I don't know if there anyone with a strong US college or JR hockey background? Some food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad