Hall of Fame talents who faded into oblivion

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
i wouldn’t call him mario-assisted. his best season was with mario out all year. recchi and stevens-assisted? sure. garbage team and pressure of replacing ron francis? probably. being surprisingly old for a fourth year player and just approaching the end of his natural prime? i wouldn’t be surprised.

i think long before the cancer, there were injury problems too.

btw, two 90 pt years, not three.
Meh hockey reference did a poor job. It looks like two 90s and a 110 at a glance.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
I can literally think of like 2-3 dozen players I'd put into the HHOF before Andreychuk and Housley.

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
Ryan Miller.

The NCAA all star began his NHL career with seven consecutive 30+ win seasons in Buffalo.

He won the Vezina his 1st all-star season and was MVP of the 2010 Olympics, backstopping USA to a silver medal with a stellar 0.946 save percentage.

Then... his next seven seasons he never hit 30 wins again, and is mired in mediocrity in Anaheim, having faded away.

I agree with this one. It seemed like one day Ryan Miller was this major goalie-stud, and the next day he fell off a cliff and was never heard from again.

To be fair to Miller, his wins totals dropped off as the Sabres decided to go full tank mode. As a pending free agent in 2014 he was traded to the Blues with the expectation he'd put them over the top in the playoffs, replacing Jaroslav Halak. He kind of wilted under the pressure and the Blues were upset in the first round.

He went into that off-season with the expressed intention of signing with a team on the Pacific coast, as his actress/model wife wanted to live somewhere better for her career prospects. He signed a deal with the rebuilding Vancouver Canucks, as it was the only team out there needing a new goalie. He signed a deal with the Ducks a couple years ago to be backup to John Gibson for the same reason: to stay on the west coast for his wife's sake.

Had he played for a better team than the Canucks, or tried to sign a deal as a starter somewhere other than Anaheim, he likely would have better stats. (He had 29 wins in 2014-15 playing a 1A-1B tandem with Eddie Lack...)

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
And married quite possibly the hottest NHL wife of all time . . .

Charlie-Simmer-full-body-4.jpg
Yeah let's see what she looks like without the bright lighting and makeup

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
He was probably fringe, but 11 seasons into his career, Marian Gaborik had 324 goals and 647 points in 721 games.

Coming off a 41 goal, 76 point season, it seemed like there were more productive seasons to come. But, injuries did him in, and he only scored 83 goals and 168 points over his next 313 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad