Halifax Mooseheads: 2019-2020 Thread

SnaGG

Dec 16, 2014
So the 20 year olds will be Bishop, Trepanier, and Kyte possibly and then try to trade any of Flower, Toner, Higgins, or McLeod.
Higgins and Mcleod arent on the list , so I dont think they will be back .

Newt91

Feb 8, 2019
So by trading for Whynot what does that mean ? Going for it this year again or retool.

I think a little of both. They'll be pretty competitive this year while also looking to retool when the opportunity presents itself.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
So the 20 year olds will be Bishop, Trepanier, and Kyte possibly and then try to trade any of Flower, Toner, Higgins, or McLeod.
Higgins is now playing for the Truro Bearcats of the MJAHL and McLeod will be playing for Valley Wildcats of the MJAHL. Both would definitely not get traded, Flower likely has a chance to play RD though Bishop is a better player. The 3 overagers will likely be Trepanier, Kyte, and Flower, to help our D shape up better and no trades need to be made for extra players at the start of the season. Then when the trade deadline hits, the organization will decide if they want to trade Lavoie, Groulx, McIsaac, and Gravel away. These trades will include 1st Round Prospects, 1st Round Picks, and others. There's been some great Free Agents on the team so far and things are starting to shape up though the level of skill on from the 2nd line to 4th line is actually fairly even which means there'll probably be a weak 2nd line but stronger 3rd and 4th lines. As lines go heres what I got so far.

Lavoie | Groulx | Trepanier
Losev | Barinka | Burridge
Jones | Dube | Peeters
Petten | Kabatay | Abi-Faycal
+Stewart (just recovering from surgery)

Kyte | Flower
Whynot | Barron
Bordeleau | Charlebois
+McIsaac (out until december)
others could be in the mix for 3rd pairing

Gravel
McLaren
Caseley (moves to backup position if Gravel's traded)

If moves happen at all they'll definitely be at Christmas. They will be there to make sure the team makes the playoffs. Unless they shock us all and surprisingly do very well but next season would be an absolute s-hit show.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Trade with Shawinigan: Moose acquire 19 year old LHD Jason Horvath for a 2020 6th. Defensive dman that slots in the 2nd or 3rd pairing depending on the lineup.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Burke, Charlebois, Sack, Robitaille, Tourchot, Grant have been cut from camp. 38 remain...!

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
11 cuts were just made from Mooseheads training camp! Those are...

Seva Losev!?!? (19)
Nathan MacMillan (17)
Bryan Laureigh (19)
Landon Miron (17)
Merle Putnam (16)
William Smith (19)
Jack McGovern (19)
Zack Byard (17)
Zach Bordeleau (17)
Tyler Caseley (19)
Jonathan Pickrem (17)

I'm shocked about Seva Losev, I thought he could've played 2nd or 3rd line minutes on the team. That's a very unfortunate takeaway from the team but best of luck to him moving forward...! The team may have been eyeing more on the 18 year olds since they can play an extra year after the season. Looks like our goaltending is confirmed which was very obvious from the start!

TRAINING CAMP ROSTER
-
GOALIES
Alexis Gravel (19)
Cole McLaren (19)
-
DEFENCE
Justin Barron (18)
Walter Flower (20)
Jason Horvath (19)
Keegan Hunt (16)
Patrick Kyte (20)
Jared McIsaac (19)
Lucas Robinson (17)
Denis Toner (20)
Cam Whynot (16)
-
FORWARDS
Said Abi-Faycal (18)
Marcel Barinka (18)
Joel Bishop (20)
Jeffrey Burridge (18)
Samuel Dube (17)
Cole Foston (16)
Matthew Gordon (18)
Benoit-Olivier Groulx (19)
Gavin Hart (18)
Zack Jones (18)
Sonny Kabatay (17)
Raphael Lavoie (19)
Senna Peeters (17)
Kyle Petten (18)
Cole Stewart (18)
Maxim Trepanier (20)

Keegan Hunt is still on the board which I find interesting. Making it this far could mean anything and these guys could have a shot making the team. Though I do agree I like Robinsons game no surprise he's staying he's got some potential. Exciting to see Kabatay and Foston still there. That could be a potential battle for a 4th line Center spot on the roster. Other then that I'm happy with what we have, Lots of new names have been really impressing at camp so far! Things gonna get interesting from here. Our next pre-season game is September 6th in Moncton.

Go Moose Go!

Season Opener Roster?
Lavoie | Groulx | Trepanier
Dube | Barinka | Peeters "The Redbull Line" (Really liking this trio)
Gordon | Jones | Burridge
Petten | Foston | Abi-Faycal
+Stewart

Kyte | Flower
Whynot | Barron
Horvath | Robinson
+McIsaac

Gravel
McLaren

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
So it looks like Petten was elected to go back to Campbellton of the MJAHL after having a really good training camp with Halifax. Our roster is almost solidified, just one D spot left to fill and the 4th line could be anything, definitely not a competing team but a team that can finish around 3rd in the division ahead of Saint John, Bathurst, and I don't know how good or bad Charlottetown will be they seem to have a solid number of 18-19 year old depth. Our roster will stay as it is probably until the deadline where we fire sell some players and hopefully have done enough in the standings to make a playoff spot at the end of the season. Cape Breton also has a fairly interesting team but I feel they can compete if they think the time has come. Then Moncton should be all in except that they had the unfortunate loss of Jeremy McKenna.

Last edited:

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
So it looks like Petten was elected to go back to Campbellton of the MJAHL after having a really good training camp with Halifax. Our roster is almost solidified, just one D spot left to fill and the 4th line could be anything, definitely not a competing team but a team that can finish around 3rd in the division ahead of Saint John, Bathurst, and I don't know how good or bad Charlottetown will be they seem to have a solid number of 18-19 year old depth. Our roster will stay as it is probably until the deadline where we fire sell some players and hopefully have done enough in the standings to make a playoff spot at the end of the season. Cape Breton also has a fairly interesting team but I feel they can compete if they think the time has come. Then Moncton should be all in except that they had the unfortunate loss of Jeremy McKenna.
I'm still pretty optimistic about this team. If we can get decent production from lines 2-3 then we'll be able to compete against most teams. Our top line should be one of the best in the league along with one of the best goalies and a pretty talented D corps once McIsaac returns. The difference isn't going to be drastic between Petten and Stewart or whoever replaces Petten's minutes and Losev obviously wasn't a good fit for whatever reason. Still possible they make some trades at Christmas if things don't go as well as possible, but I don't think they're automatically in sell mode.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
EDJogTIWwAgTn73

Final Roster. Bishop didn’t make it, Trepanier, Kyte, and Flower are the 20 year olds. Cole Foston makes the team as a 16 year old.

Line predictions once McIsaac is healthy:

Lavoie - Groulx - Trepanier
Dube - Barinka - Peeters
Jones - Kabatay - Burridge
Abi-Faycal - Foston - Hart
Stewart

McIsaac - Flower
Kyte - Barron
Whynot - Horvath
Robinson

Gravel
McLaren

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
EDJogTIWwAgTn73

Final Roster. Bishop didn’t make it, Trepanier, Kyte, and Flower are the 20 year olds. Cole Foston makes the team as a 16 year old.

Line predictions once McIsaac is healthy:

Lavoie - Groulx - Trepanier
Dube - Barinka - Peeters
Jones - Kabatay - Burridge
Abi-Faycal - Foston - Hart
Stewart

McIsaac - Flower
Kyte - Barron
Whynot - Horvath
Robinson

Gravel
McLaren
-
Abi-Faycal plays Center, They wouldn't bother signing a free agent if they were gonna be a 4th liner. Kabatay will be either the left wing or center on the 4th line. Abi-Faycal has been doing fairly well as well.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
-
Abi-Faycal plays Center, They wouldn't bother signing a free agent if they were gonna be a 4th liner. Kabatay will be either the left wing or center on the 4th line. Abi-Faycal has been doing fairly well as well.

Agreed and Faycal is the older more mature player so he is likely to get a shot at the 3C position. Kapatay is 16 and will be sheltered to some degree.

Reactions: Coolmcneil

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Agreed and Faycal is the older more mature player so he is likely to get a shot at the 3C position. Kapatay is 16 and will be sheltered to some degree.
He's definitely a mature tough player. Plays very smart too, looks very intimidating imo. I think we have 3 solid lines of great players that can perform with great chemistry with their linemates. May not be the best roster in the Q but if work well, hard, and smart together, could very well be a top contending underdog team. If it seems the teams only depending on the 1st line we will hope that rebuild comes. I guarentee Gravel and McLaren will be machines this year too, Alexis played well in the Summer Showcase and is doing great in the Traverse City tourny. As for Cole he's made over almost 100 saves in his last 2 pre-season games. Which does make the team look bad but makes our goaltending look really good. McLaren always was hit by pucks over the years as when he played for Valley he'd carry the teams in low scoring game but unfortunately was pretty brutal on him when he still ended up losing. Either way we still have 6 really solid D when McIsaac comes back if no moves are made, The defence after our top 6 is pretty bad. Whatever the outcome is this season will still be fun to watch. The Halifax Mooseheads this season have acquired so many brand new teenagers that are set to take the next step into their hockey careers. And good on them for that. #GoMooseGo

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Kaphis

Oct 7, 2008
Hello!

I am new to Halifax and want to get into Moosehead hockey! I've never really followed a junior team before so I am a bit lost as to where and how best to enjoy supporting the team beyond going to games!

Ideas? Looking forward to cheering for our team.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
This team has gotten rolled twice in a row by Cape Breton. Not a good effort from the skaters last night at all.
Forwards gave the puck away to many times to count last night. Just get it deep. Bump a man when he in front of your net with the puck in his feet don’t skate by him. That was a hard game to watch. Even the 50/50 winner went home before his number was called. Don’t think anyone claimed the second number either. Gravel was spectacular and they still put up 7 on him. It’s all on the forwards. They’re hanging the défense and goalie out to dry. They allowed 27 dangerous shots this game vs 3 of their own.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pretty obvious that they will.

If they don't, the rebuild will take many years with the lack of picks we have in the coming drafts. Imagine the shit load of futures we get for Lavoie, Groulx, Gravel, McIsaac, and Trepanier?

There is massive opportunity here and I don't see the Mooseheads missing out on this. Question is, how many teams are contenders and want to pay the price to acquire. Hopefully we have many teams in the mix

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
If they don't, the rebuild will take many years with the lack of picks we have in the coming drafts. Imagine the **** load of futures we get for Lavoie, Groulx, Gravel, McIsaac, and Trepanier?

There is massive opportunity here and I don't see the Mooseheads missing out on this. Question is, how many teams are contenders and want to pay the price to acquire. Hopefully we have many teams in the mix

Cape Breton and Chicoutimi have lots of assets left to make trades at the deadline and are likely contenders. Sherbrooke has to make the decision if they want to “go for it” this year or next year but they’re currently the best team in the CHL so I would just load up. They have lots of assets. Moncton on the other hand doesn’t have much assets left. If they want a top player they may want to try getting rid of guys like Elliot Desnoyers and Charles Lavalle. As Rimouski and Islanders go I highly doubt they go for it which is unfortunate to Alexis Lafreniere and Matthew Welsh. Oceanic has no much assets and depth and lost Zavgorodniy for majority of the season. Charlottetown’s got assets but I think they still got 2 more years of work to do.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Cape Breton and Chicoutimi have lots of assets left to make trades at the deadline and are likely contenders. Sherbrooke has to make the decision if they want to “go for it” this year or next year but they’re currently the best team in the CHL so I would just load up. They have lots of assets. Moncton on the other hand doesn’t have much assets left. If they want a top player they may want to try getting rid of guys like Elliot Desnoyers and Charles Lavalle. As Rimouski and Islanders go I highly doubt they go for it which is unfortunate to Alexis Lafreniere and Matthew Welsh. Oceanic has no much assets and depth and lost Zavgorodniy for majority of the season. Charlottetown’s got assets but I think they still got 2 more years of work to do.

Any Rumors yet for the trade deadline?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad