Halifax Mooseheads: 2019-2020 Thread

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Lots of early discussion has already started for the Mooseheads next season with the look for more additions, new coach, etc. Some people have different looks on the upcoming season then others, it'll be pretty interesting to follow.

Keep all discussions on the Halifax Mooseheads here all the way to the end of the run! When will it end? Who knows, Let's get discussing!

Go Moose Go!

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Hearing these are the names so far as free agent invites go, Cole Owen probably the best with the most potential on the list that could make the team as a player on the roster!

F Owen Cole (Ottawa Jr Senators CCHL) [2000-1-29]

www.eliteprospects.com/player/359030/owen-cole

D. Alex Gallant (Moncton Flyers NBPEIMMHL) [2002-3-18]

www.eliteprospects.com/player/417754/alex-gallant

F. Said Abi-Faycal (Montreal-Nord Arctic QJAAAHL) [2001-1-6]

www.eliteprospects.com/player/296658/said-abi-faycal

F. Sam Grant (Cape Breton West Islanders NSMMHL) [2002-1-29]

www.eliteprospects.com/player/473154/sam-grant

F. Mitch McLeod (Halifax Macs NSMMHL) [2002-9-9]

www.eliteprospects.com/player/390132/mitchell-mcleod

F. Emile Villard (Saint Hyacinthe Gaulois QMAAA) [2002-3-27]

www.eliteprospects.com/player/410767/emile-villiard

D. Luke MacLean (Dartmouth Major Midgets NSMMHL) [2002-1-21]

www.eliteprospects.com/player/390097/luke-maclean

Also hearing rumors that equipment manager Chris MacDonald could have an opportunity to be hired by the Laval Rocket of the AHL as their equipment manager. He's an extremely hard worker who's done the World Juniors multiple times, etc. He's put down previous offers to stay with family but if he wants to take his job to another level he could very well take it. We'll have to see in the following weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: jabes

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think there is a chance the Mooseheads are sellers at this next trade deadline. If we don't sell, we run the risk of a very long rebuild with the lack of picks we had this past draft and future drafts. I doubt we are good enough to win the Q with our roster this season so it's time to sell and accelerate the rebuild.

Not many are talking about it but I see this as our best option cause we will not have any assets to improve the team at the deadline and we will have several players graduating if we keep them. What do we get for this? Nothing. Lavoie, Groulx, McIsaac would return a boat load of futures! Then trade Parent and Barron the year after.

Rebuild now for a short span or rebuild later in a long span?

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I think there is a chance the Mooseheads are sellers at this next trade deadline. If we don't sell, we run the risk of a very long rebuild with the lack of picks we had this past draft and future drafts. I doubt we are good enough to win the Q with our roster this season so it's time to sell and accelerate the rebuild.

Not many are talking about it but I see this as our best option cause we will not have any assets to improve the team at the deadline and we will have several players graduating if we keep them. What do we get for this? Nothing. Lavoie, Groulx, McIsaac would return a boat load of futures! Then trade Parent and Barron the year after.

Rebuild now for a short span or rebuild later in a long span?

The roster is still very safely (I'd say) in the top quarter of the league. No point to sell off just to sell off because next year may not be as good. There's no doubt that they still think they can compete this year and I have no doubt that's the goal. It should be interesting to see what they do with their abundance of good quality 20 year olds as thhey may be able to get some guys who can play this year and next year.

Even if the team goes for it this year, you still enter next year with Barron, Parent, Dube, Barinka, Peeters, Jones, and whomever may establish themselves this year. If that's not enough to cut it next year, then start to make moves next offseason but no need to bypass a perfectly good opportunity to be a competitive team this year for the sake of future years in junior hockey.

Reactions: Apocalypse Dude

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The roster is still very safely (I'd say) in the top quarter of the league. No point to sell off just to sell off because next year may not be as good. There's no doubt that they still think they can compete this year and I have no doubt that's the goal. It should be interesting to see what they do with their abundance of good quality 20 year olds as thhey may be able to get some guys who can play this year and next year.

Even if the team goes for it this year, you still enter next year with Barron, Parent, Dube, Barinka, Peeters, Jones, and whomever may establish themselves this year. If that's not enough to cut it next year, then start to make moves next offseason but no need to bypass a perfectly good opportunity to be a competitive team this year for the sake of future years in junior hockey.

I think the roster will be competitive but can we win the Q? Doubt it. We can try and see how far we go but then what after this season? Look at the picks we have available and it's not good. The rebuild will be longer than you think

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I think the roster will be competitive but can we win the Q? Doubt it. We can try and see how far we go but then what after this season? Look at the picks we have available and it's not good. The rebuild will be longer than you think

Perhaps? I think only Moncton, Rimouski, Chicoutimi and Sherbrooke are the teams that I'd say might be better (even if only slightly) than the current roster the Moose have on paper. Gravel could arguably be the best goalie in the league, Lavoie the best goal scorer, and McIsaac being one of the best dmen, not to mention Groulx as one of the premier centres in the league. The team will look different once a couple of these 20 year olds are moved I would imagine - Kyte, Bishop, or Flower could be decently valuable at least to fill holes that exist currently in the roster.

Beyond that, moving guys next year probably means we're down for a couple years but I think that's as far as it will go. I think the management is creative enough to keep it to only a couple years. A big year out of Barron could go a long way to getting high-end assets next year.

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
I think they’ll at least give it a go this year and if it is looking grim at Christmas time, then maybe they’ll sell off. I also think they’ll be top 5-6 at least. Still going to have to make some trades and signings before this season starts so we’ll see how the team shapes up in the next couple of months.

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
Hearing these are the names so far as free agent invites go, Cole Owen probably the best with the most potential on the list that could make the team as a player on the roster!

F Owen Cole (Ottawa Jr Senators CCHL) [2000-1-29]

www.eliteprospects.com/player/359030/owen-cole

D. Alex Gallant (Moncton Flyers NBPEIMMHL) [2002-3-18]

www.eliteprospects.com/player/417754/alex-gallant

F. Said Abi-Faycal (Montreal-Nord Arctic QJAAAHL) [2001-1-6]

www.eliteprospects.com/player/296658/said-abi-faycal

F. Sam Grant (Cape Breton West Islanders NSMMHL) [2002-1-29]

www.eliteprospects.com/player/473154/sam-grant

F. Mitch McLeod (Halifax Macs NSMMHL) [2002-9-9]

www.eliteprospects.com/player/390132/mitchell-mcleod

F. Emile Villard (Saint Hyacinthe Gaulois QMAAA) [2002-3-27]

www.eliteprospects.com/player/410767/emile-villiard

D. Luke MacLean (Dartmouth Major Midgets NSMMHL) [2002-1-21]

www.eliteprospects.com/player/390097/luke-maclean

Also hearing rumors that equipment manager Chris MacDonald could have an opportunity to be hired by the Laval Rocket of the AHL as their equipment manager. He's an extremely hard worker who's done the World Juniors multiple times, etc. He's put down previous offers to stay with family but if he wants to take his job to another level he could very well take it. We'll have to see in the following weeks.
These players are now listed on the Mooseheads preseason roster so your unidentified source was correct haha. McLeod might be one to follow. Looks like he had a good 2nd season for Macs and still only 16. Will be interesting to see who else is invited and how they all look at training camp.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I think Cole has a shot of getting 2nd line centre duties this year depending on how everything shakes out. I have friends in Ottawa that have seen him quite a bit and really like him, really good in the draws and plays PK in addition to putting up big offensive numbers. Maybe another Philippe Gadoury situation on our hands.

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
I think Cole has a shot of getting 2nd line centre duties this year depending on how everything shakes out. I have friends in Ottawa that have seen him quite a bit and really like him, really good in the draws and plays PK in addition to putting up big offensive numbers. Maybe another Philippe Gadoury situation on our hands.
Seems he still has an NCAA commitment.
I wonder if he’s just keeping his options open attending Mooseheads camp or is keen on actually making team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think they’ll at least give it a go this year and if it is looking grim at Christmas time, then maybe they’ll sell off. I also think they’ll be top 5-6 at least. Still going to have to make some trades and signings before this season starts so we’ll see how the team shapes up in the next couple of months.

I agree. Christmas time is when they decide what road they will take.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Perhaps? I think only Moncton, Rimouski, Chicoutimi and Sherbrooke are the teams that I'd say might be better (even if only slightly) than the current roster the Moose have on paper. Gravel could arguably be the best goalie in the league, Lavoie the best goal scorer, and McIsaac being one of the best dmen, not to mention Groulx as one of the premier centres in the league. The team will look different once a couple of these 20 year olds are moved I would imagine - Kyte, Bishop, or Flower could be decently valuable at least to fill holes that exist currently in the roster.

Beyond that, moving guys next year probably means we're down for a couple years but I think that's as far as it will go. I think the management is creative enough to keep it to only a couple years. A big year out of Barron could go a long way to getting high-end assets next year.

Takes guts to sell but I think the time is right if we want another contender that can win in the shorter span vs longer span. I know all about how the Mooseheads will be solid again this year but how do they make improvements for a playoff run? We have no picks to use. Other teams will be going all in and we won't be able to.

Smart thing is to start selling one by one in my opinion. If they don't, I won't be upset but be prepared for some very rough years to come and the rebuild takes longer than most realize due to the lack of picks we have

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
Next year we should be reacquiring our 2021 1st rd pick that eventually went to SJ for Safin. Should be able to get that pick plus more for Barron. Also should be able to get at least a 2020 or 21 first rounder for Parent.

Another thought, since Lavoie doesn’t technically need to be signed for 2 years is it possible Edmonton gives him age 20 in the Q as a late bday? Maybe not if he tears it up this year.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Been pretty inactive, moved over to the QMJHLEast Forums. Here's a look at Import Senna Peeters!

Newt91

Feb 8, 2019
Nice trade for the moose getting rid of Parent for a top prospect (Cameron Whynot) and a pick (3rd round)

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Nice trade for the moose getting rid of Parent for a top prospect (Cameron Whynot) and a pick (3rd round)

Agreed.

Wow, the Whynot kid was said to be a steal at 9 during the Q draft. Scouts I know have said this kid could be #1 as early as 20/21. He loves to control the play from the back end.

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
Excited to see this kid play. Won't hurt us much this year and will be a big asset for the coming years. Hopefully a couple of these free agent invites turn out to be diamonds in the rough also.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
I really like Parent, in his rookie year he looked pretty special, but he just didn't seem to take that next step last season. Can't say I know a lot about Whynot, but it looks like we got a nice return for Parent.

Also, I love that Halifax is becoming a team that produces quality defensemen now. McIsaac, Barron, and now hopefully Whynot continuing the trend. And it's pretty cool that they're all Nova Scotian as well. I remember back in the day when we would always have a talented group of forwards, but our D tended to be pretty awful outside maybe one or two players.

SnaGG

Dec 16, 2014
Training camp roaster has been released ....Looks like Joctan Chainey has stepped away from Hockey and wont be back this year . Brings new light to the Whynot trade . Also Arnie will go pro with the Islanders system and also wont be back .

Attachments

• 68347726_10162729235495144_8904773952702775296_o.jpg
    68347726_10162729235495144_8904773952702775296_o.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad