Halifax Mooseheads: 2018-2019 Thread

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
From what we have this season this has potential in being our roster for the 2019-20 season. It's good but also a bit disappointing because if we didn't get host of the Memorial Cup this year we could've had a strong team this season and an even stronger team next season. But not gonna complain I think what we have this year is okay, we haven't had our complete roster yet this season so we haven't got a feel of how good this team will be going into the playoffs. Anyways back to the point, here is what the Roster could look like.
-
FORWARDS
Arnaud Durandeau (20) [Islanders Prospect]
Maxim Trepanier (20)
Benoit-Olivier Groulx (19) [Ducks Prospect]
Raphael Lavoie (19) [2019 Eligible]
Marcel Barinka (18) [2019 Eligible]
Xavier Parent (18) [2019 Eligible]
CHL Import Player [???]
Cole Stewart (18)
Kyle Petten (18)
Gavin Hart (18)
Samuel Dube (17) [2020 Eligible]
Sonny Kabatay (17)
Nathan MacMillan (17)
-
DEFENSE
Jocktan Chainey (20) [Devils Prospect]
Jared McIssac (19) [Red Wings Prospect]
Jack McGovern (19)
Liam MacKinnon (19)
Justin Barron (18) [2020 Eligible]
Felix Gascon (18)
Zachary Byard (17)
Zacharie Bordeleau (17)
-
GOALIES
Alex Gravel (19) [Blackhawks Prospect]
Cole McLaren (19)
-
CUT OVERAGERS / Definite AHL's
Joel Bishop
Patrick Kyte
Walter Flower
Denis Toner
Ben Higgins
Alexis Sansfacon
Antoine Morand (Ducks)
Ostap Safin (Oilers)
-
So... What Are Your Thoughts? Obviously Durandeau and Chainey still have chances at the AHL that would leave room for Joel Bishop and Patrick Kyte. It'd be a miracle if Morand or Safin came back.
I could see them trading Trepanier and keeping Bishop. I think he’s a character guy with all around skill to keep around. Haven’t seen enough of Trepanier yet but he’d probably fetch a better return in trade. Looks like a pretty inexperienced D beyond top 3. Will need to make some deals for sure if we want to compete again.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
I could see them trading Trepanier and keeping Bishop. I think he’s a character guy with all around skill to keep around. Haven’t seen enough of Trepanier yet but he’d probably fetch a better return in trade. Looks like a pretty inexperienced D beyond top 3. Will need to make some deals for sure if we want to compete again.
There’s no doubt Trepanier is playing as an Overager next season he just hasn’t been able to play due to injury. Halifax used a first round pick and a prospect on him for a reason. They could always trade Trepanier and keep Bishop to get a talented 18/19 year old but I’d like to see Maxim another year.

Newt91

Feb 8, 2019
I don’t think he has the hockey sense to make the NHL. Good skills but I doubt he will go beyond AHL. Hope he proves us wrong.

Yeah I think he will top out at an AHL level, probably will need time in the ECHL even

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
There’s no doubt Trepanier is playing as an Overager next season he just hasn’t been able to play due to injury. Halifax used a first round pick and a prospect on him for a reason. They could always trade Trepanier and keep Bishop to get a talented 18/19 year old but I’d like to see Maxim another year.
Yeah they gave up a lot to get both Trepanier and Safin and they've both battled injuries all season. Hopefully they get to play a few games and get up to speed before playoffs arrive. The 4th line has been decent but not producing consistently.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
How much better would this team be if they had Newhook?
That’d make the team 2 times better plus we wouldn’t acquire so much this season and save more ammo for next season to have another run at the Memorial Cup! I can’t imagine.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Durandeau still a fringe NHL prospect, or do you guys think he has bottom six potential?

Personally I don't see it but many islander fans are getting excited about him. I try to remind them he is 20 in a league where the average age is 18, and Halifax is, well, really good
Durandeau plays a middle 6 game. Not enough grit for a 4th line role. Not enough skill for 1st line. However he's one of the fastest players in the league and is rounding out his game. Decent hands and good instincts. Good shot blocker. He's still improving so there's a chance he will ek out a pro career. He's a different player with this years new coaching system. Not as chirpy. Think you could drop him off on just about any Q league team and he'd find a way to produce moderate numbers. Missed a year development last year with poor coaching. Think he'll have a lot of points next year.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Safin and Chainey back in lineup

Lavoie and Morand out Day-To-Day

No word on Trepanier and Stewart possibly week-to-week

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Cam Russell states Halifax will be a competing team next season. Will it be good enough? Probably not... Mooseheads have no assets left but he seems confident he can pull something off. A rebuild next season would’ve been amazing we’d get so many first rounders. I personally don’t think Halifax will be that good but we’ll see.

Also Halifax won the Eastern Conference and will compete against the lowest seed the Quebec Remparts!

Go Moose Go!

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
We officially have our full lineup for the playoffs except for Groulx who’s out indefinitely with Mono. Must win game for the Mooseheads in Quebec today. #GoMooseGo

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Wow, just wow. I was at both Game 1 and Game 2 and Safin to me is the biggest disappointment i've ever seen in a Moose jersey. Completely disinterested, could not finish a check or at least make it look like he wanted to finish a check what so ever. I just can't understand how in our Memorial cup season Safin and Barinka are the two import players we end up with.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Wow, just wow. I was at both Game 1 and Game 2 and Safin to me is the biggest disappointment i've ever seen in a Moose jersey. Completely disinterested, could not finish a check or at least make it look like he wanted to finish a check what so ever. I just can't understand how in our Memorial cup season Safin and Barinka are the two import players we end up with.
Yeah both imports are heavily dissapointing but the plan was to have Zadina and Somppi this season but their respective AHL teams kind of screwed us over. They weren’t planning on using a first round pick to get an import but Fagemo didn’t report which is the 5th player out of 25 players to not report to Halifax. The plan was to use that first round pick for next season and only use one (which was used to get Trepanier). There wasn’t much left in the 2nd Round Of imports but luckily we got something out of it. Barinka in my opinion wasn’t bad it’s just he got scratched over and over to give Dube and Stewart more games. And that’s ruining Barinkas future development and his draft stock. Hopefully he gets more time next year and hopefully the import we acquire this summer when Safin leaves reports. These past 2 seasons have been frustrating and wild on the organization and nothing seems to work out in their favour. Hopefully they can play better on the road and win this series and keep going hard throughout the playoffs. The injuries are another obstacle we had to face this season as well.

Reactions: markrander87

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Here’s what the START of the season lineups could’ve been this season.

Lavoie | Somppi | Zadina
Durandeau | Groulx | Morand
Parent | Bishop | Maher
Dube | McLeod | Higgins

Kyte | Ryczek
McIssac | Barron
Chainey | Flower
Toner

Gravel
McLaren

Still Have In The System...
2020 1st Round Pick
2021 1st Round Pick
2019 2nd Round Pick
Cole Larkin
Yannic Bastarache
William Dagenais

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
How is Lavoie doing? He's one of my favourite prospects in this draft? What is his potential and who is a good player comparable? Where would you pick him?

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
How is Lavoie doing? He's one of my favourite prospects in this draft? What is his potential and who is a good player comparable? Where would you pick him?
Not sure who he compares to but he’s been doing great. I’d pick him somewhere in the middle of the draft. He’s pretty much the only player producing points for the Mooseheads in the playoffs. In 5 games he has 5G 4A | 9P And is 2nd in the Points race.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Not sure who he compares to but he’s been doing great. I’d pick him somewhere in the middle of the draft. He’s pretty much the only player producing points for the Mooseheads in the playoffs. In 5 games he has 5G 4A | 9P And is 2nd in the Points race.
By middle of the draft I assume you mean middle of the 1st round, right?

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia

As far as a comparison would go I'd say he resembles Rick Nash but there are differences for sure.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Lavoie reminds me of Vanek as a junior.

Moose lineup tonight

Lavoie/Asselin/Morand
Durandeau/Getson/Trepanier
Parent/Bishop/Safin
Dube/Mcleod/Higgins

Kyte/Flower
Chainey/Barron
Toner/Ryczek

Gravel