Halifax Mooseheads: 2018-2019 Thread

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It was reported today that Samuel Fagemo is staying in Sweden. He was very close to joining the Mooseheads and made his decision just recently. Will likely be heading over after this season.

He has 3pts in 2 games with 2 goals in the SuperElit. He's off to a good start but has he made his SHL team?

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Edmonton Oilers just sent Ostap Safin back to the QMJHL. Saint John now has 3 import players. Cajkovic, Prikryl, And Safin. He’s not on the Roster for the team right now. Saint John will have to trade Safin away. Halifax has an import spot open. Could he come to Halifax?

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Acquired 20 year-old Samuel Asselin from Bathurst for Cole Larkin, Yannic Bastarache, and a 2nd rounder. Kind of sad that Larkin got traded because I felt he could be a big asset after this year but Asselin will be a great 20 year-old to have just coming off the memorial cup run. Another candidate to potentially break PPG for the year. Great add.

Edmonton Oilers just sent Ostap Safin back to the QMJHL. Saint John now has 3 import players. Cajkovic, Prikryl, And Safin. He’s not on the Roster for the team right now. Saint John will have to trade Safin away. Halifax has an import spot open. Could he come to Halifax?

He could. We could trade for him since it’s been over a year since he was drafted.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Acquired 20 year-old Samuel Asselin from Bathurst for Cole Larkin, Yannic Bastarache, and a 2nd rounder. Kind of sad that Larkin got traded because I felt he could be a big asset after this year but Asselin will be a great 20 year-old to have just coming off the memorial cup run. Another candidate to potentially break PPG for the year. Great add.

He could. We could trade for him since it’s been over a year since he was drafted.
I’m disappointed for Larkin as well as he could’ve been a great player for the team but he may be able to crack the Titan this year and it’s better for his development. Bastarache was quite impressive at camp as well. Really excited to have Asselin though another 40-50 point scorer for the team!

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015

With guys still at NHL Camp this made it such a weirdly interesting game. Durandeau got 2 goals in the game and call up Gavin Hart got his first of his career. Justin Barron got his third of his career and surprisingly Patty Kyte got a weird one from behind the net in overtime to win the game. Saint John just kept bouncing back there young talents gonna be some good in the next year or 2. The underdog team this year Charlottetown Islanders are up next!

Last edited:

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
Anybody hear any news on Somppi? I don't believe he is on Tampa's camp roster so he is on the Syracuse Crunch training camp? Is it official that that is not coming back to the Mooseheads? Haven't heard any news on this.
Somppi is still with the main club in Tampa. Almost no chance he returns as a 2o now that Asselin has been acquired. He should have no trouble making AHL anyway.

I'd say they'll wait to hear more on Zadina before making a move for an import.

SnaGG

Dec 16, 2014
Ostap Safin will be traded to us from the Sea Dogs . ( Via Twitter )

So the door is closed on Somppi and Zadina .

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Somppi is still with the main club in Tampa. Almost no chance he returns as a 2o now that Asselin has been acquired. He should have no trouble making AHL anyway.

I'd say they'll wait to hear more on Zadina before making a move for an import.

I agree with Somppi now. As far as Zadina... I think there is a legal battle going on at the moment. Was he on loan or not? I tried to dig on the internet a bit and there is little information on this.

Was he on loan from HC Dynamo to the Mooseheads or not? There seems to be conflicting info on this. If he was indeed on loan, he is AHL eligible at age 19. If he wasn't on loan, I can see him with the Mooseheads this year. Wings have history of not rushing prospects.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ostap Safin will be traded to us from the Sea Dogs . ( Via Twitter )

So the door is closed on Somppi and Zadina .

I would agree Somppi stays in the AHL and won't be back. However with Zadina, I am not sure. There appears to be a legal battle going on with him. Was he on loan from HC Dynamo to the Mooseheads or not? Some think they know for sure but I've been reading conflicting reports. I read a report where they are waiting for the NHL to make a ruling on this.

Lets say the Mooseheads acquire Safin and Zadina is also back. All that means is Barinka is the odd man out. Pretty sure the Mooseheads would value some 19 year olds on their cup run.

I'm also pretty sure the Mooseheads are in contract with the Red Wings and their plans for Zadina as well. They know more about this than we do and this might hold up the deal for Safin for a few days.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
For What ?

Shouldn't be a massive return... Sea Dogs already have 2 Euros that they drafted this past draft and were very good picks. They don't have much leverage other than if there are several other teams on top of the Mooseheads looking for Euro's. How many top teams in the Q are looking for a Euro? Not sure but I suspect most already have their 2 guys.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Line projections now that the dust has settled? So much depth especially with guys who can play centre.

My guess:

Durandeau - Morand - Safin
Parent - Groulx - Lavoie
Asselin - Barinka - Maher
Dube - Bishop - Stewart

McIsaac - Barron
Chainey - Ryczek
Kyte - Flower/Toner

Reactions: Coolmcneil

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Man this team is absolutely insane right now I’m so pumped for this season! Here are my line projections! LW-C-RW

Safin - Morand - Maher
Durandeau - Groulx - Lavoie
Parent - Barinka - Asselin
Bishop - Dube - Higgins/Stewart

McIssac - Barron
Chainey - Ryczek
Kyte - Flower/Toner

Gravel
McLaren

GO MOOSE GO!

Last edited:
Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This roster is sick with skill and speed. So many line-up options in the forward group too! All 4 lines are deep in talent. D is solid. Need Gravel to be at his best.

Durandeau / Morand / Maher
Parent / Groulx / Lavoie
Asselin / Barinka / Safin
Dube / Bishop / Higgins

Petten, Stewart

McIsaac / Barron
Chainey / Rychek
Kyte / Flower

Toner

Gravel
McLaren

Last edited:
Reactions: Coolmcneil

NSHockeyfanCH

Dec 28, 2017
I see all of you guys have Asselin on the wing, i think he'll play center somewhere, he was one of the best face-off guys in the league last year, but this team is looking very exciting such a deep team, should be lots of high scoring games, teams shouldnt be able to keep that top 9 from scoring. I think toner looked really good while he played as well, kind of sucks he'll end up being 7th on the depth chart but should be good for injuries

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I see all of you guys have Asselin on the wing, i think he'll play center somewhere, he was one of the best face-off guys in the league last year, but this team is looking very exciting such a deep team, should be lots of high scoring games, teams shouldnt be able to keep that top 9 from scoring. I think toner looked really good while he played as well, kind of sucks he'll end up being 7th on the depth chart but should be good for injuries

I was thinking about Asselin at center. But who does he replace? Bishop? I guess that works and I am a fan of Asselin. How about moving Barinka to the wing?

Asselin is a great work horse to add on our team. Love the moves we made this off season and definitely softens the blow losing both Zadina and Somppi

NSHockeyfanCH

Dec 28, 2017
I was thinking about Asselin at center. But who does he replace? Bishop? I guess that works and I am a fan of Asselin. How about moving Barinka to the wing?

Asselin is a great work horse to add on our team. Love the moves we made this off season and definitely softens the blow losing both Zadina and Somppi

yeah they help for sure, yeah i was thinking Barinka to the wing but at the same time id think they'd want him to play the position hes comfortable while he adjusts to playing in north america, i guess probably just have Asselin on the wing 5v5 and have him taking faceoffs on pk or something, having a few good face-off takers is definitely a nice problem to have

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015

Cam Russell says he’s done making trades and will evaluate the team until Christmas.
Asselin and Safin are excited for Halifax!

Go Moose Go!

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
41DBB2F1-1CCB-4932-BDF5-62339D3D9561.png

Lines For Halifax!
Everyone is back! Petten and McIssac are still hurt. Not sure about Dube and Bishop. Nathan MacMillan gets called up!

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015

Make It 4-0! Though there’s a few players out there I’m not impressed with so far. I’m sure they’re still switching lines up every game to see who plays best with who. Also a lot of penalties recently that’s not how we should be playing. Stay out of the box. The boys are going up to Quebec for games against Remparts, Saguneens, and finally a tough one against the Drakkar from Wednesday to Saturday. Lets hope the boys can pick it up and players can come back from injury. Go Moose Go!

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
I saw the highlights but how would you rate Durandeau? He was quite impressive in training camp for the Islanders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad