Halifax Mooseheads: 2018-2019 Thread

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015

Check out my footage from the game!

Was a great game for both Cape Breton and Halifax in the beautiful Dartmouth 4-Pad. No goals were scored in the first but Mooseheads were all over Cape Breton. Gravel let in no goals half way through Jonathan Pickrem went in and let in a bad one on his first shot 1-0. But Mooseheads bounced back with Marcel Barinka getting a rebound from Raphael Lavoie to make it 1-1. Arnaud Durandeau got the next goal for a 2-1 lead. Cape Breton was then all over Halifax with Pickrem making some solid saves and great defense from Denis Toner and Jared McIssac but Cape Breton ended up scoring 48 seconds left in the game by Tyler Hylland to tie it at 2. We went into 3on3 overtime where it was evenly matched and one change for both teams was made when the overager Tyler Hylland scores again to get his 5th goal in 2 preseason games to give Cape Breton the victory 3-2. Solid effort by all the guys but the people who caught my eye the most that haven’t played for Halifax yet (not incl Barinka) was Denis Toner and Gavin Hart both did very well. Thanks for reading! Go Moose Go!

Reactions: Thrasymachus

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Sorry to spam posts but I wanna make sure every update is said.

Patrick “Patty” Kyte has decided to leave the Mooseheads and go play in Lake Superior State Univ. (NCAA)

Mooseheads played their third game of preseason in Bathurst last night with a 6-3 victory! Marcel Barinka got 2 Goals and an assist to put him up 4 points in 2 games. Yo Rookie Sonny Kabatay put up a goal and an assist! And Rookies William Dagenais and Cole Larkin put up a goal! Joel Bishop also put up a goal and an assist. Mooseheads play Titan again tomorrow in Wolfville, NS as Jordan Maher will make his first preseason appearance!

Still no word on Samuel Fagemo I think he’s staying in Sweden to play for Frölunda HC J20. Sadly a waste of a pick... That import spot will be open for 2020 though and will help make 2020s roster even stronger! There is no way Filip Zadina will come back.

Last edited:

Reesor01

Jul 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Sorry to spam posts but I wanna make sure every update is said.

Patrick “Patty” Kyte has decided to leave the Mooseheads and go play in Lake Superior State Univ. (NCAA)

Mooseheads played their third game of preseason in Bathurst last night with a 6-3 victory! Marcel Barinka got 2 Goals and an assist to put him up 4 points in 2 games. Yo Rookie Sonny Kabatay put up a goal and an assist! And Rookies William Dagenais and Cole Larkin put up a goal! Joel Bishop also put up a goal and an assist. Mooseheads play Titan again tomorrow in Wolfville, NS as Jordan Maher will make his first preseason appearance!

Still no word on Samuel Fagemo I think he’s staying in Sweden to play for Frölunda HC J20. Sadly a waste of a pick... That import spot will be open for 2020 though and will help make 2020s roster even stronger! There is no way Filip Zadina will come back.

Kyte's Elite Prospects page does say Lake Superior State Univ. But he committed to them before he signed with the Moose last year, and he's still on their roster as of this morning. Plus I don't believe he is eligible for NCAA having played a game in the CHL.

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
Seems that Russell thinks there is still a good chance Fagemo reports. Moose Training Camp Update #5 – Halifax Mooseheads

I read a Swedish article earlier this summer that seemed to suggest via translation that Fagemo is hoping to make the main club for Frolunda, otherwise he will consider Halifax.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Kyte's Elite Prospects page does say Lake Superior State Univ. But he committed to them before he signed with the Moose last year, and he's still on their roster as of this morning. Plus I don't believe he is eligible for NCAA having played a game in the CHL.

Yeah I just watched a video last night saying that he’s in the roster but is injured... Sorry my bad. EliteProspects must auto-generate their information so that’s why it was wrong. Thanks for posting the cuts didn’t see those until now and for the heads up. Don’t know why they have Cooper Jones listed as a forward he doesn’t play both forward and defense does he?

Last edited:

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Seems that Russell thinks there is still a good chance Fagemo reports. Moose Training Camp Update #5 – Halifax Mooseheads

I read a Swedish article earlier this summer that seemed to suggest via translation that Fagemo is hoping to make the main club for Frolunda, otherwise he will consider Halifax.
Yeah just watched that video on a YouTube channel. Didn’t post it here because thought there was no point. There is definitely some potential I think it’s open just to make 100% sure Zadina isn’t coming back. Because CHL players are not eligible to go to the AHL until they’re 20 unless they played 4 seasons in the CHL. Unless the player is on loan with the Mooseheads but he is not on loan. Don’t personally think he’s NHL Ready. Either way if Fagemo does come we’re still getting an awesome player.

Last edited:

Reesor01

Jul 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Yeah I just watched a video last night saying that he’s in the roster but is injured... Sorry my bad. EliteProspects must auto-generate their information so that’s why it was wrong. Thanks for posting the cuts didn’t see those until now and for the heads up. Don’t know why they have Cooper Jones listed as a forward he doesn’t play both forward and defense does he?

Jones and Dachyshyn are trying out for the last 20yo slot (Which will probably be upgraded upon one way or another). Jones is trying out as a forward because the top 6 dmen are a lock, and there's no sense in a 20yo being a 7th dman.

Kyte was committed to NCAA, but came to Halifax instead. EliteProspects must not have removed his commitment. They have hundreds of thousands of player profiles on that site... it was probably just an oversight.

Reactions: Coolmcneil

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015

Jordan Maher and Antoine Morand played their first preseason games as a Moosehead in Wolfville, NS against their former team the Titan. Maher got a hatty with Morand assisting Maher’s goals. Raphael Lavoie also got a goal. Jake Ryczek left the game early due to an injury and didn’t return to the ice. Mooseheads next preseason game is September 7th in Springhill, NS against the Moncton Wildcats.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I think it's a long shot he makes the SHL. Would he choose the QMJHL over the Allsvenskan league though? That is the question

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Jordan Maher and Antoine Morand played their first preseason games as a Moosehead in Wolfville, NS against their former team the Titan. Maher got a hatty with Morand assisting Maher’s goals. Raphael Lavoie also got a goal. Jake Ryczek left the game early due to an injury and didn’t return to the ice. Mooseheads next preseason game is September 7th in Springhill, NS against the Moncton Wildcats.

I'm not as high on Ryczek as most are. Small type defenseman and he needs to be stronger. I am a bit worried about the Mooseheads D this season. We need to be a bit more physical and force outside shots while also have the ability to move the puck out our own end with possession.

We lost the Islanders cause our team D was bad in my opinion. I like Chainey and Barron. McIsaac needs to be better as a 18/19 year old this year. Then there is a bit of a drop in talent after that? Ryczek needs to be more offensive and produce on the PP if he is going to impress me and be a definite top 4D.

SnaGG

Dec 16, 2014
Cooper Jones and Barrett Dachyshyn have both been placed on waivers . That now leaves a 20'year old spot open on the team .

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
I'm not as high on Ryczek as most are. Small type defenseman and he needs to be stronger. I am a bit worried about the Mooseheads D this season. We need to be a bit more physical and force outside shots while also have the ability to move the puck out our own end with possession.

We lost the Islanders cause our team D was bad in my opinion. I like Chainey and Barron. McIsaac needs to be better as a 18/19 year old this year. Then there is a bit of a drop in talent after that? Ryczek needs to be more offensive and produce on the PP if he is going to impress me and be a definite top 4D.
I couldn’t agree more with you. Though Ryczek in my opinion is very well offensively but he and many lack defensively. McIssac needs to work on his physically a bit because I saw many times on the ice where you missed a guy and ran himself into the boards and sometimes he misplays the puck. I have no complaints on Barron and Chainey. Barron’s still a young guy with a huge hockey IQ. Chainey is the underdog no one talks about he’s a great playmaker but needs to stay out of the box. I haven’t really paid much to Patrick Kyte last season he needs to improve. I don’t know what to say about Walter Flower because he keeps missing ice-time from Back-To-Back injuries in his career on the Mooseheads. There is 2 spots open for defense on the team year. Trade Deadline ended today and Cooper Jones and Barrett Dachyshyn are on waivers. As said already. And Ryan Barbosa is gone. The last spots will most likely go to one of the following remaining in camp.
Name/POS/Height/Weight/DOB/Age/
Acquired/Previous Team

Cole Larkin | RD | 6’02” | 174 | 2002-09-13 | 16 | Q Draft 18 | Charlottetown NBPEIMMHL

Zachary Byard | LD | 6’02” | 212 | 2002-05-04 | 16 | Q Draft 18 | Halifax Macs NSMMHL

Denis Toner | LD | 5’09 | 163 | 1999-09-22 | 16 | Q Draft 15 | Woodstock Slammers MHL

Curtis Heffernan | LD | 6’01” | 185 | 1999-12-23 | Free Agent Invite | Truro Bearcats MHL

Jack McGovern | RD | 6’03” | 205 | 2000-01-19 | Saint John -> Halifax 2017 | Truro Bearcats MHL

Size and Age wise I wanna say Curtis Heffernan and Jack McGovern would be the best choices BUT the best performing guys in camp have been Cole Larkin and Denis Toner. I don’t see a huge issue in Larkin other then him being young. But Toner is only 163 pounds. That’s pretty skinny. But hopefully Russell can make a good transaction in the future. I was hoping Mooseheads would try to get a defense in the Import draft but I can’t complain with Barinka because he’s doing very well. But the overage spot is open. We’ll have to see what the Mooseheads do. Thanks for reading this took a long time to write... lol

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
I couldn’t agree more with you. Though Ryczek in my opinion is very well offensively but he and many lack defensively. McIssac needs to work on his physically a bit because I saw many times on the ice where you missed a guy and ran himself into the boards and sometimes he misplays the puck. I have no complaints on Barron and Chainey. Barron’s still a young guy with a huge hockey IQ. Chainey is the underdog no one talks about he’s a great playmaker but needs to stay out of the box. I haven’t really paid much to Patrick Kyte last season he needs to improve. I don’t know what to say about Walter Flower because he keeps missing ice-time from Back-To-Back injuries in his career on the Mooseheads. There is 2 spots open for defense on the team year. Trade Deadline ended today and Cooper Jones and Barrett Dachyshyn are on waivers. As said already. And Ryan Barbosa is gone. The last spots will most likely go to one of the following remaining in camp.
Acquired/Previous Team

Cole Larkin | RD | 6’02” | 174 | 2002-09-13 | 16 | Q Draft 18 | Charlottetown NBPEIMMHL

Zachary Byard | LD | 6’02” | 212 | 2002-05-04 | 16 | Q Draft 18 | Halifax Macs NSMMHL

Denis Toner | LD | 5’09 | 163 | 1999-09-22 | 16 | Q Draft 15 | Woodstock Slammers MHL

Curtis Heffernan | LD | 6’01” | 185 | 1999-12-23 | Free Agent Invite | Truro Bearcats MHL

Jack McGovern | RD | 6’03” | 205 | 2000-01-19 | Saint John -> Halifax 2017 | Truro Bearcats MHL

Size and Age wise I wanna say Curtis Heffernan and Jack McGovern would be the best choices BUT the best performing guys in camp have been Cole Larkin and Denis Toner. I don’t see a huge issue in Larkin other then him being young. But Toner is only 163 pounds. That’s pretty skinny. But hopefully Russell can make a good transaction in the future. I was hoping Mooseheads would try to get a defense in the Import draft but I can’t complain with Barinka because he’s doing very well. But the overage spot is open. We’ll have to see what the Mooseheads do. Thanks for reading this took a long time to write... lol

Thanks good post, IMHO I’d like to see the young right handed D.

My picks so far would be McGovern, Larkin, Byard.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Acquired/Previous Team

Great post bud! Lets see how our roster looks after December. I think the management is going to test this team and then make moves to shore up the roster for the cup run. The Mooseheads are actually built to win this year and next year IMO.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
591CE4EE-A096-4875-9751-98D29F90C1EB.png

Here are your... 2018-19 Halifax Mooseheads. GO MOOSE GO!

Sorry for the horrible cropping job here’s the roster if you can’t see it. Gonna probably be a few moves before the season comes.

Forwards
91 Marcel Barinka
94 Samuel Dubé
19 B.O. Groulx
15 Jordan Maher
67 Xavier Parent
21 Arnaud Durandeau
28 Ben Higgins
14 Jared McIssac
9 Kyle Petten
61 Joel Bishop
88 Antoine Morand
26 Cole Stewart
50 Raphael Lavoie

Defense

2 Denis Toner
20 Justin Barron
14 Jared McIssac
16 Jake Ryczek
3 Walter Flower
12 Patrick Kyte
79 Jocktan Chainey

Goalies

1 Alexis Gravel
29 Cole McLaren

Last edited:

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Overall this is a small team? Our new coach likes his teams to play with an edge & finish their checks. Can’t wait to see some live action, go Moose.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
D17B7C44-42AF-4F40-B49C-5F9BE75B4A86.png

Just got back from Halifax’s preseason game at the Halifax Forum against the Moncton Wildcats. Overall a great effort by the youngsters on the team I’m super impressed with the talent I saw on the ice today. Lavoie got the lone goal for the Mooseheads and McLaren made 47 saves for Halifax as they lost 2-1 in Overtime. The play was back and fourth but it was Moncton who got much more shots off but in Overtime that’s when Halifax sprang into action. But Halifax got caught too deep and Moncton got a breakaway and the guy was hooked so he got a penalty shot where he scored to win the game. But yet again it was an amazing game. We’re gonna have a heck of a year. GO MOOSE GO!

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Anybody hear any news on Somppi? I don't believe he is on Tampa's camp roster so he is on the Syracuse Crunch training camp? Is it official that that is not coming back to the Mooseheads? Haven't heard any news on this.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No clue about lineups yet. Games on Friday so we’ll know soon. I highly doubt Somppi’s coming back but it’s not impossible. I haven’t heard much from him over the summer.

I took a hard look at their depth chart at center. There is a lot of centers at the AHL level. I'm sure some will be moved to wing but I just don't know what their plans are with Somppi. I guess we will see after pre-season is done. Do they value a memorial cup run or do they value him playing against men right away. If they have enough centers, do they value him playing center in junior vs wing in the AHL. It's just too hard to say.

Let me know when you start noticing typical lines. I'm curious to see how this looks.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
It was reported today that Samuel Fagemo is staying in Sweden. He was very close to joining the Mooseheads and made his decision just recently. Will likely be heading over after this season.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
It was reported today that Samuel Fagemo is staying in Sweden. He was very close to joining the Mooseheads and made his decision just recently. Will likely be heading over after this season.
That’s what I was assuming would happen. Hope he comes next season the roster will probably be even stronger next year. Thanks for the info.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->