Halifax Mooseheads: 2018-2019 Thread

Shernix

Jul 26, 2018
Halifax missed the opportunity to have two proven elite European players in the season where they host the Memorial Cup. Otto Somppi and Filip Zadina probably will stay in the NHL and the AHL respectively. Outside of that, Alexis Gravel doesn't look very solid in the net compared to Blade Mann-Dixon. The situation with the 20 year olds is suspect. Jake Ryczek will be good and will probably stay. I read they acquired Jordan Maher. Who is going to be the third one? Fortier and Moynihan are leaving, and most 19 year olds in the 2017-18 season were bottom-six players (Brett Crossley, Barrett Dachyshyn) or bottom-four defensemen (Ryan Barbosa, Cooper Jones). It can't be one of them. They also added Antoine Morand, who is a top talent in the league, but he's gonna be a 19 year old.

On the other hand, Antoine Morand, Jake Ryczek, Xavier Parent, B-O Groulx, Arnaud Durandeau, Jocktan Chainey, Jared McIsaac, Justin Barron, Jordan Maher and Raphael Lavoie is more talent than most QMJHL teams have. Should they throw two talented Euros and another decent 20 year old, and their team is a Memorial Cup contender.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Samuel Dubé 5’7” 143lbs is a very skilled offensive talent with really great skating ability. Samuel got 9G 23A in only 12 games with EC Salzburg U18 in the EBJL! He may only be 16 years old but Mooseheads think he’s ready for the big push to the big leagues and help contribute to the team for the Memorial Cup year! Finding a spot on the roster will be tough though. #GoMooseGo #ThisIsMooseCountry #MemorialCup2019 #MemorialCup101

Last edited:

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Halifax missed the opportunity to have two proven elite European players in the season where they host the Memorial Cup. Otto Somppi and Filip Zadina probably will stay in the NHL and the AHL respectively. Outside of that, Alexis Gravel doesn't look very solid in the net compared to Blade Mann-Dixon. The situation with the 20 year olds is suspect. Jake Ryczek will be good and will probably stay. I read they acquired Jordan Maher. Who is going to be the third one? Fortier and Moynihan are leaving, and most 19 year olds in the 2017-18 season were bottom-six players (Brett Crossley, Barrett Dachyshyn) or bottom-four defensemen (Ryan Barbosa, Cooper Jones). It can't be one of them. They also added Antoine Morand, who is a top talent in the league, but he's gonna be a 19 year old.

On the other hand, Antoine Morand, Jake Ryczek, Xavier Parent, B-O Groulx, Arnaud Durandeau, Jocktan Chainey, Jared McIsaac, Justin Barron, Jordan Maher and Raphael Lavoie is more talent than most QMJHL teams have. Should they throw two talented Euros and another decent 20 year old, and their team is a Memorial Cup contender.
I’m not quite sure what the Mooseheads will do. They’ll probably use there last Overage spot to attempt getting a goaltender during the season but for the first while I have no clue what they’ll do because Alexis Gravel won’t be able to push the Moose the whole time. Moose currently have 5 other goaltenders on the team including 18 year olds Raphael Blais, Cole McLaren, and 16 year olds Gavin Fitzpatrick, William Dagenais, and Jonathan Pickrem. All of them don’t really look they’ll be ready but I’m certain they’ll use the overage spot on a goaltender. The rosters already pretty much set it’s just what’s gonna happen if Filip Zadina makes Detroit or not which I’m sure he will. Somppis already gone. Moose picked up 2 import players in the draft named Samuel Fagemo (Arizona Coyotes Undrafted Prospect) and Marcel Barinka. Not sure if they’ll play with Halifax or not but if no Zadina they’ll be 2 import spots open that’s the maximum Samuel Dube Mooseheads 12th Overall Pick is only 16 years old but people say he’s like Xavier Parent maybe a little better. He got exceptional status because his parents were born in Canada and his father was a beast in the QMJHL. Can’t wait to see what happens. I think we have a solid team!

Last edited:

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
This article seems to suggest that Marcel Barinka will sign with the Moose soon. His twitter also showing that he will compete in Hlinka Gretzky Cup which will be interesting to watch.
Otec a syn v Kometě? Barinka junior zvolil Kanadu, nahradí tam Zadinu - iSport.cz

Haven't seen anything about Fagemo coming over. I assume he will as long as Zadina and Somppi are both gone.

Almost seems like all the pieces line up for a President's Cup run next year as much as or more than this year, especially if no Somppi and Zadina.
If things don't change drastically, next season will only see departure of Morand, Maher, Ryczek. Durandeau and Chainey could return if they don't sign and most of the other drafted Mooseheads won't be ready for NHL. Mcisaac, Barron, Lavoie, Groulx, Parent, Gravel will all be in their prime. A number of our 16-17 year olds will also be further along next season.
2018-19 should be good, but 2019-20 could be better.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
This article seems to suggest that Marcel Barinka will sign with the Moose soon. His twitter also showing that he will compete in Hlinka Gretzky Cup which will be interesting to watch.
Otec a syn v Kometě? Barinka junior zvolil Kanadu, nahradí tam Zadinu - iSport.cz

Haven't seen anything about Fagemo coming over. I assume he will as long as Zadina and Somppi are both gone.

Almost seems like all the pieces line up for a President's Cup run next year as much as or more than this year, especially if no Somppi and Zadina.
If things don't change drastically, next season will only see departure of Morand, Maher, Ryczek. Durandeau and Chainey could return if they don't sign and most of the other drafted Mooseheads won't be ready for NHL. Mcisaac, Barron, Lavoie, Groulx, Parent, Gravel will all be in their prime. A number of our 16-17 year olds will also be further along next season.
2018-19 should be good, but 2019-20 could be better.
Wow I wasn’t even thinking that far. I think the Mooseheads will have a season familiar to the 2014 season this coming year unless Zadina comes back that’ll put a huge affect on the team. I don’t wanna get cocky but with him I could already see us winning the Presidents Cup. Don’t get me wrong Drummondville and other teams have some pretty big rosters as well. Though as I said we need another goalie preferably 18, 19, and don’t get me wrong we have some strong defence but most of the boys in my opinion are offensive defenceman. That’s why the Mooseheads had such a hard time in the Playoffs. But the 2019-20 season... Man that should be a good one. 2 back to back returns to the Memorial Cup tourney would be sick.

Also I do believe we’ll be seeing Barinka next season though Fagemo is the better player I’m not sure if he’ll commit. Barinka is teammates with Dubé as well and if Dubé makes it they’ll do great paired together on the same line with the Moose and get a lot more comfortable.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
facility-banner.jpg
Getting my tickets for Halifax’s first preseason home game against Cape Breton at the Dartmouth 4-Pad! Haven’t seen the facility yet. Pretty pumped.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Mooseheads will be a young team in their Memorial Cup Host season. I expect moves to be made after they see what kind of roster we have. Areas that I will be looking at...

1. New coach. He has a track record of having solid team defense. Lets see what he can do with our group.

2. Somppi and Zadina. It's likely they already have a good idea if they are back or not cause they would of had conversations with the Lightning and Wings. Will be interesting to watch their performance at NHL camps and pre-season games. I think there is a real chance Somppi is back but no idea about Zadina.

3. Groulx, McIsaac, Gravel. Can they have improved seasons? If they have stalled development, it will be very disappointing.

4. Parent, Durandeau, Lavoie, Barron. Can they keep improving and have better production vs last year? Big draft years for Parent, Lavoie, and Barron.

5. 20 year olds? Interested to see how this develops as the year goes along.

6. Team Toughness and Maturity. I think we have an overall soft group. Not saying it's a huge problem but we did lose the war to the Islanders in last years playoffs. They had a much more matured and physical team that played smart and that's why we lost 4 games straight.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Barron isn't actually eligible for the draft until 2020. Which only makes his rookie season even more impressive.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
I hate to point out certain players so I’m not but there’ll be players that have developed over the season and some that may not have developed at all. It kind of seems we’re stuck in a rebuild mode still and will have better rosters in the next few seasons. Eric Veilleux gets all out of his players and doesn’t #### around I think he can get the Toughness and Maturity the team needs. I think Somppis a no brainer staying in Syracuse unless the roster is full and he gets scratched then there could be a chance. By articles I’ve been reading some people have been saying Zadina May come back due to the fact a lot of players on the Detroit roster have resigned contracts with the team and there isn’t anymore spots to fill either. Scratched players likely to be Michael Rasmussen, Filip Zadina, and Martin Frk. Maybe I’m going a little too far with it as of now but who knows. As of now I don’t really care what we have for forwards all I want is Good Defense and another goaltender. There was a Rumour Moose tried getting Matthew Welsh but Charlottetown declined. But I can’t confirm that.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I hate to point out certain players so I’m not but there’ll be players that have developed over the season and some that may not have developed at all. It kind of seems we’re stuck in a rebuild mode still and will have better rosters in the next few seasons. Eric Veilleux gets all out of his players and doesn’t #### around I think he can get the Toughness and Maturity the team needs. I think Somppis a no brainer staying in Syracuse unless the roster is full and he gets scratched then there could be a chance. By articles I’ve been reading some people have been saying Zadina May come back due to the fact a lot of players on the Detroit roster have resigned contracts with the team and there isn’t anymore spots to fill either. Scratched players likely to be Michael Rasmussen, Filip Zadina, and Martin Frk. Maybe I’m going a little too far with it as of now but who knows. As of now I don’t really care what we have for forwards all I want is Good Defense and another goaltender. There was a Rumour Moose tried getting Matthew Welsh but Charlottetown declined. But I can’t confirm that.

Good post. I actually think the Mooseheads are better build to win in the 2019/2020 season vs next year. It will be interesting to see how our roster does in the 1st few months and what moves are made for the Memorial cup run at the deadline.

I would love the Mooseheads to acquire Matthew Welsh. Not a big goalie but he looked very good last year. Very consistent and doesn't allow soft goals. If you want to beat him, you got to earn it. Gravel is just way to inconsistent.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
D'Orio will be available by Christmas.
That’d be a good choice as well but he is already Signed with the Pittsburgh Penguins. Doesn’t mean he’ll only play 1 year but I don’t know if the Moose would take that risk due to the fact as we have been saying 19/20 might be the better season. Once you’re 20 you can make the AHL. But I don’t know much about the guy though I’ve seen him play a few times. Saint John’s rebuilding so that may be a good choice to attempt to get. Besides Moose have a lot of scratched goaltenders so many one of them may come to play as backup in 19/20 or another transaction could be made. But we’ll see! Same goes for Welsh but he’s apparently not draft eligible until 2019 which is weird not sure why. But I don’t know if he’d make the move to the AHL instantly I think he’d play one more year. I think D’Orios the better choice.

Last edited:

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Anyone know why Lavoie isn’t playing at the Gretzky Hlinka?
He actually got invited to play in the World Junior Summer Showcase U20 Team for Team Canada a week before the Hlinka Gretzky and performed pretty well!

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
8C7192AF-B43E-4108-AB94-DDBC6C2B7C88.png
Ah... that makes sense...

Training Camp begins in 3 more days! Not really any spots to fill. Possibly defence but should definitely be interesting. Mooseheads added a new Goalie Coach named Marco Raimondo I have heard good things about him.

At the moment it’s looking like Raphael Blais or Cole McLaren will play backup for the Mooseheads until Moose can acquire a goaltender I’ll attempt to be in attendance at there open training camp schedule at the 4-Pad at the 2 evening WvR matchups. And I’ll be at the 2 preseason games at the 4-Pad and Forum. Quite interested to see what happens. Ignore the Aug, 19 Typo.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015

Training Camp has arrived! Here’s an inside look on Marcel Barinka (CHL Import), Recently Added Antoine Morand, and New Head Coach Eric Veilleux!

By the looks of what Marcel said it’s looking like he’ll be guarenteed a spot on the roster! Samuel Fagemo (CHL Import) is not in attendance but GM Cam Russell says positive on-going discussions continue. Pretty awesome video check it out.

Subscribe to this channel it’s pretty good!

Last edited:

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
6804FD26-8DEB-4719-9329-60A38DFE0F78.png
How does Dube look in camp so far?
I heard he’s been doing pretty well for a 16 year old. He just got his photo taken at the photo shoot yesterday he’s 100% making the team. He didn’t play in the preseason game on Sunday which Moose Lost 5-1 but pretty sure Marcel and Samuel will be playing at the home game in Dartmouth today. I’ll be in attendance I’ll keep everyone updated after the game.

Last edited:

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Also a Recap from Mooseheads Training Camp / Preseason Game on Sunday against Cape Breton

TRAINING CAMP
Some players ended up leaving due to their interest in the NCAA Route including Ethan Phillips a 16 year old who was apart of Filip and Nicos billet family he ended up putting up a hat trick in one of the intersquad games. Another one was Stephen Davis who was a very strong defence and could’ve had potential in making the team. There was some awesome 16 year olds at the camp!

PRESEASON RECAP (8/19/2018)
Was an okay night for the boys. They put up a strong performance in Cape Breton at the Centre 200 with a crowd of 1,053 watching. Tyler Hylland an overager for Cape Breton got 3G 1A and a 1G 1A game for both 18 year old Isiah Campbell and 16 year old Alex Falardeau. Cole Stewart (2017 3rd RD) got the lone goal for the Mooseheads unassisted. Both goaltenders on Sundays Roster were played in the game. Cole McLaren (2016 8th RD) let in 3 goals in 29:44 mins of ice time and saved 11 shots. And Joel Goguen (FA Invite) let in 2 goals in 30:16 mins and made 16 saves. I think different goalies will be played on Tuesday.

Lineups
MacMillan 61 Kabatay 17 Stewart 12
Petten 9 Higgins 28 Dagenais 41
French 89 Dachyshyn 51 Trudel 21
Hart 32 Watt 5 Bastarache 67

Gascon 2 Orzel 7
Byard 20 Heffernan 8
Smith 14 McGovern 71

Cole McLaren 35
Joel Goguen 40

Thanks for Reading! Go Moose Go!

Last edited:

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015

Today is Game #2 of preseason as Mooseheads take on the Screaming Eagles at the 4-Pad today. Watch the video to hear about Cole Larkin and see the returning of Justin Barron and hear about the cuts and injuries in camp.

Samuel Dube is out due to a lower body injury but should make a quick recovery and be back in action soon.

The roster has shortened to 42 players and some cuts were made including Simon Bucheler one of the competiting goaltenders.

Here’s the stronger roster for today’s preseason game...

FORWARDS
#9 Kyle Petten
#12 Cole Stewart
#16 William Dagenais
#17 Sonny Kabatay
#19 Benoit-Olivier Groulx
#21 Arnaud Durandeau
#28 Ben Higgins
#32 Gavin Hart
#50 Raphael Lavoie
#51 Marcel Barinka
#61 Justin Trudel