Halifax Mooseheads: 2016-2017 Thread

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Ughhhh.

Time to give Midgley the reigns, we need stability in coaching if we want to host the 2019 Memorial Cup.

AFAIC, there should be compensation headed the way of the Mooseheads. I'd never hold a person back from a promotion, but AT signed a 5 year contract. Both sides have a certain expectation that comes with that.

If the 67s wanted our coach bad enough, they should have to pony up something significant. If it were the NHL, it would be relatively easy: draft pick(s). As all three leagues have individual midget drafts, the only option I see would be the CHL import draft. Ottawa should have to forfeit some picks.

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax
AFAIC, there should be compensation headed the way of the Mooseheads. I'd never hold a person back from a promotion, but AT signed a 5 year contract. Both sides have a certain expectation that comes with that.

If the 67s wanted our coach bad enough, they should have to pony up something significant. If it were the NHL, it would be relatively easy: draft pick(s). As all three leagues have individual midget drafts, the only option I see would be the CHL import draft. Ottawa should have to forfeit some picks.

Well, as they pick after us, and I imagine we will only be needing one pick... I dont see that as terribly appealing.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
For those upset with Tourigny, there is an article called "Anatomy of a coaching change" on halifaxmooseheads.ca , it provides some prospective.

Cheers.

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Great for Midge. He's been great ever since I dealt with him through the SMU hockey camps from when I was a kid. Did an excellent job as an assistant coach and deserves this shot.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Big, big opportunity for Midgley. I wish him all the best and would guess he will be every chance to succeed. He'll have a long leash this year. Could have three dangerous scoring lines if Newhook signs, sucks to loose Charlebois on D but I'm looking forward to watching this young group.

SnaGG

Dec 16, 2014
Import draft is two days away ! Any names on the wind ? We pick 6th overall !

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
We picked 6th last year, we're 11th this year.

The names I've heard thrown around are Nando Eggenberger, Yannik Valenti, Dominik Bokk and Alexander Khovanov. Khovanov would be the one I want but I've heard he's not coming over. In that case I'd want Eggenberger who's a big, skilled winger that could compliment our group a lot. Bokk dismantled the U19 league in German this year as a 16 year old (better numbers than Draisaitl put up) and could put up a lot of points in the Q. Valenti looks great too and is eligible for the 2019 draft so we get him for a couple years before he gets drafted.

Dgill

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax
www.metroho.com

The names I've heard thrown around are Nando Eggenberger, Yannik Valenti, Dominik Bokk and Alexander Khovanov. Khovanov would be the one I want but I've heard he's not coming over. In that case I'd want Eggenberger who's a big, skilled winger that could compliment our group a lot. Bokk dismantled the U19 league in German this year as a 16 year old (better numbers than Draisaitl put up) and could put up a lot of points in the Q. Valenti looks great too and is eligible for the 2019 draft so we get him for a couple years before he gets drafted.

Bokk sounds really intriguing to me.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.

Bokk sounds really intriguing to me.

Bokk has a pro contract and apparently isn't allowed to go to the CHL.

Valenti isn't ready yet, in my opinion. Great skater will skill and excellent IQ, but can't translate it into a solid overall game consistently (despite his high production).

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Assuming Hischier is in the NHL or overseas and Newhook doesn't come:

Zadina - Groulx - Fortier
Durandeau - Somppi - Moynihan
Parent - Bishop- Lavoie
McKenna - Dachyshyn - Higgins
Crossley - Stewart

McIsaac - Flower
Chainey - Barron
Jones - Lepage

Gravel
Mann-Dixon

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Any scouting report?

From Steve Kournianos at the beginning of the year:

At 6’0, 200 pounds, Zadina combines elite hockey sense with pro-level size and skill. If there was a dagger to be thrust, it was going to be Zadina to do so, as the youngster scored four (3g, 1a) of his seven points in the two most important games  the semis against Sweden and the gold medal game against the Americans. He’s the kind of player where multiple wargame exercises won’t do a thing to stop him, which is why we consider him one of the best  if not THE best  prospect for the 2018 draft.

Steve's most recent ranking has him 3rd for the 2018 draft.

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
Assuming Hischier is in the NHL or overseas and Newhook doesn't come:

Zadina - Groulx - Fortier
Durandeau - Somppi - Moynihan
Parent - Bishop- Lavoie
McKenna - Dachyshyn - Higgins
Crossley - Stewart

McIsaac - Flower
Chainey - Barron
Jones - Lepage

Gravel
Mann-Dixon

Yeah I think Newhook is a lost cause for next year at least. There might be some hope with Arlo Merritt who is a very skilled player also. He fell to 7th round in draft and doesn't seem to be getting much attention even though he was ranked 1st round by Q central scouting and hasn't seemed to have committed or signed elsewhere yet. Played with Barron on multiple teams in the past, so maybe they'll join up again.

Zadina looks pretty dynamic, he could end up being another one and done if he has a nice season and is drafted top 5. If Hischier doesn't come back, we'll have to hope that Somppi comes in with some fire. He's shown flashes, so it's time for him to come out with some confidence and put his game together.

I guess things will take shape once camp opens in Aug. Should be an exciting team for the next few years anyway.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
There might be some hope with Arlo Merritt who is a very skilled player also. He fell to 7th round in draft and doesn't seem to be getting much attention even though he was ranked 1st round by Q central scouting and hasn't seemed to have committed or signed elsewhere yet. Played with Barron on multiple teams in the past, so maybe they'll join up again.

not much of a chance. He has in fact committed to go the US college route, like Newhook. Little chance either shows.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
why not trade somppi instead of release ?

You could but I suspect most teams already have their two Euros. Hard to say who would be interested and if they felt he was an upgrade over what they already have. If you can get something, then you make a trade. If not, you release him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad