Halifax Mooseheads: 2016-2017 Thread

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Another Great draft in the 1st round for the Mooseheads. Anyone want to take a stab at potential line-ups?

- Assuming the three 20 year olds are Fortier, Moynihan, Dixon?

- Does Newhook decide to play for the Moosheads? Seems to me, we have a shot at convincing him but it's 50/50 at this stage? Or is it very slim he reports?

- I'm assuming Jake Wise is not coming to Halifax? Anybody know any updates on his commitments for next year (his NHL draft year!)?

- Who do we pick in the Euro draft at 11th overall? Do we trade this pick because we are confident Somppi will produce as a 19 year old? Or do we take somebody in case Hischier makes the NHL as an 18 year old (I think its doubtful). Hischier is also a loan to the Mooseheads and can go back overseas or play in the AHL. It might be one and done for Hischier as a Mooseheads (hope not!)

- Does Groulx play center this year? Seems to me, the Moosheads have a lot of depth at center and LW. RW and LD seems to be the areas where we need to address.

My quick attempt at the Mooseheads potential roster:

W8akyOx.jpg

Last edited:

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
If Hischier is back and Newhook reports:

Durandeau - Hischier - Fortier
Parent - Groulx - Moynihan
Newhook - Somppi - Lavoie
Dachyshyn - Bishop - Higgins
Crossley - Rich

McIsaac - Flower
Chainey - Barron
Jones - Lepage

Gravel
Mann-Dixon

Though, there's always someone who comes in and surprises to steal a spot like Higgins did or Lavoie did at the beginning of the year. I wonder who it'll be this year. I also wonder if we'll hang onto Mann-Dixon or find someone else to contribute as an overager rather than a backup goalie.

Also, we can't trade import picks so we will use it even though we have two Euros because Hischier will go in the first round of the NHL draft. My guess is they'll go for a guy like Nando Eggenberger but have also heard Dominik Bokk, Yannik Valenti and Alexander Khovanov's names if they decide to come over.

Edit: forgot about the Charlebois trade.

Last edited:

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
Charlebois was traded.

I'd say slim for Newhook but you never know. Not sure if Arlo Merritt is going Q, but he slid deep into draft so he must be considering US route.

Just from watching videos, Cole Stewart and Kyle Petten should be given a good look at camp and could break the team if they have a good camp and the other two don't report.

Rich kind of disappeared from lineup at the end of the year and didn't produce much when he was in, so I have doubts that he will be back. He'll have to outperform the younger guys who might have a bigger part of future.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Moose will be dominated with 18 and 17 year olds in the Memorial cup run. If any moves are made, expect us to pick up 18 year olds this season so they are 19 next season!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Hischier is back and Newhook reports:

Durandeau - Hischier - Fortier
Parent - Groulx - Moynihan
Newhook - Somppi - Lavoie
Dachyshyn - Bishop - Higgins
Crossley - Rich

McIsaac - Flower
Chainey - Barron
Jones - Lepage

Gravel
Mann-Dixon

Though, there's always someone who comes in and surprises to steal a spot like Higgins did or Lavoie did at the beginning of the year. I wonder who it'll be this year. I also wonder if we'll hang onto Mann-Dixon or find someone else to contribute as an overager rather than a backup goalie.

Also, we can't trade import picks so we will use it even though we have two Euros because Hischier will go in the first round of the NHL draft. My guess is they'll go for a guy like Nando Eggenberger but have also heard Dominik Bokk, Yannik Valenti and Alexander Khovanov's names if they decide to come over.

Edit: forgot about the Charlebois trade.

We got loads of skill at center. If Hischier is not back next year (could be in the AHL or back with SC Bern because he was on loan), then were set up the middle. Groulx, Somppi, Lavoie, Bishop. However, If Nico is back, there is quite the competition at center I say in camp!

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
We got loads of skill at center. If Hischier is not back next year (could be in the AHL or back with SC Bern because he was on loan), then were set up the middle. Groulx, Somppi, Lavoie, Bishop. However, If Nico is back, there is quite the competition at center I say in camp!

Definitely, even Parent plays center if we think he's better suited there this year with our depth. Quite a good problem to have.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Sorry to hijack your thread, but since the Devils may be taking Hischier, a couple of questions:

1) Is he ready for the NHL?

2) What's do you think his realistic ceiling is?

3) How excited should we be if NJ picks him?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sorry to hijack your thread, but since the Devils may be taking Hischier, a couple of questions:

Hischier has excelled everywhere he has played. He already has an NHL shot and his one timer is impressive. I'm not too sure he is NHL ready yet though. His skating is very very good but I can see him struggling at first with the less time and space and how much more tougher the players are.

Think most Moosehead fans would say he is as talented as Ehlers and Drouin. Very skilled, great skaters. and a great shot, but need to toughen up for the NHL. McKinnon made it in the NHL as a 18 year old because he was tough enough. Ehlers & Drouin made it as 19 year olds and I say Hischier follows the same path. He is on loan from SC Bern so he can go through 3 options if he don't make the NHL: 1) Back to the Moosheads, 2) Back overseas to SC Bern, 3) Play in the AHL.

I would say his biggest assets are his skating and his shot.

CrazyPucker27

Jun 25, 2012
Charlottetown
Hischier has excelled everywhere he has played. He already has an NHL shot and his one timer is impressive. I'm not too sure he is NHL ready yet though. His skating is very very good but I can see him struggling at first with the less time and space and how much more tougher the players are.

Think most Moosehead fans would say he is as talented as Ehlers and Drouin. Very skilled, great skaters. and a great shot, but need to toughen up for the NHL. McKinnon made it in the NHL as a 18 year old because he was tough enough. Ehlers & Drouin made it as 19 year olds and I say Hischier follows the same path. He is on loan from SC Bern so he can go through 3 options if he don't make the NHL: 1) Back to the Moosheads, 2) Back overseas to SC Bern, 3) Play in the AHL.

He is not on loan

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax

Ya this has already been refuted. It's basically he sticks in the NHL or he's back to the Moose.

I agree with your assessment tho.

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax

1) Like Ehlers, he has the skills and the work ethic, but I think he needs another year of seasoning before he would stick. Conditioning and putting on some size.

2) Wow hard to say, I can definitely see him as #1C. Projects similar to Ehlers I think, probably higher.

3) Very. Dynamic skater. His edge work is crazy good and he is very shifty along the boards, in the corners, behind the net. Decent shot, very very smart and creative offensively and very responsible defensively (esp for his age). He is good, but he is also fun to watch. Without arguing who the better player is, I think its fair to say that Nico is the more fun/exciting to watch than Patrick.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
NJ
1) Like Ehlers, he has the skills and the work ethic, but I think he needs another year of seasoning before he would stick. Conditioning and putting on some size.

2) Wow hard to say, I can definitely see him as #1C. Projects similar to Ehlers I think, probably higher.

3) Very. Dynamic skater. His edge work is crazy good and he is very shifty along the boards, in the corners, behind the net. Decent shot, very very smart and creative offensively and very responsible defensively (esp for his age). He is good, but he is also fun to watch. Without arguing who the better player is, I think its fair to say that Nico is the more fun/exciting to watch than Patrick.

Thank you both!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site

You should be very excited as he will probably be on your team next Fall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad