Halfway point stats

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
Just looking at the stats at the halfway point ...some surprises ...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20132VANSASALL&sort=points&viewName=summary

The team --
*The 11-7-6 record has them sitting at #20 out of 30 teams.
*They're 17th in GF and 12th in GA; 24th on PP and 17th on PK.
*Most notably we're 22nd in FO%, at 48.5%, first time in 6 years we've been <50% (last year was 52.2%, prior was 54.9%...an alarming trend.)
All fairly mediocre, but we know they've been slumping and are without key players in KB and RK (and MM, for FOs.)

Individually --
*Not a surprise, but the twins are leading the way and doing pretty much everything expected of them. PPG pace, leading in +/-, etc.
*After the twins, who's our leading scorer? How many would've guessed Hamhuis, with 14 pts? (tied w Burrows)
*Daniel leading in goals with 8, then Higgins with 7 (cant ask too much more of him.) Same w Hansen & Raymond, who both have 6 (w Hank.)
*Garrison may be slow making w the offence, but his +8 is best after the top line, so that's solid. His shooting % is pretty low at 7.7%, so you have to figure (hope) that'll come around.
*Ballard gets a lot of love and slack around here, but his #s are pretty weak. 21 games, avg 16.5 min, and just one assist, w even +/-. This has to be against some pretty weak competiton too ... He may be being mis-used, but not nearly good enough for $4M+.
*Lapierre the only current roster guy with over 50 FO% (51%)
*Edler, Schroeder and Weise all tied at team-worst -5. Kassian -4, Booth -1, all other regulars even or better.
*Our 13M worth of ex-Panthers collectively have 8 pts in 54 GP.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
*Garrison may be slow making w the offence, but his +8 is best after the top line, so that's solid. His shooting % is pretty low at 7.7%, so you have to figure (hope) that'll come around.

That's a pretty good shooting % for a Dman. Bieksa's S% is the one that's out of whack right now.

NHLNucksFan

Mar 6, 2011
Vancouver
I have to point out that one of Booth's negative plus-minus came as he was stepping out of the penalty box a few games back. That sucked.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
I have to point out that one of Booth's negative plus-minus came as he was stepping out of the penalty box a few games back. That sucked.

Lol. It must be getting pretty damn hard to defend Booth these days eh?

Also, I don't understand how our record puts us 20th overall.

Edit: according to NHL.com, we're sitting 14th overall right now.

Points percentage wise has us in a tie for 10th.

Last edited:

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I'm actually shocked at how low Garrison's point totals are given how much offense the team generates with him on the ice.

Garrison: 5 points on 28 GF (17.9%)

Hamhuis: 14 points on 26 GF (53.8%)

Edler: 12 points on 25 GF (48%)

Bieksa: 6 points on 21 GF (28.6%)

By all rights he should have some more assists in there, if only by pure dumb luck. Hamhuis has 8 secondary assists already this year while Garrison has only 1.

nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6

Jul 14, 2009
Sudbury
I feel compelled to mention, for posterity, that before this season began I called that we miss the playoffs this season.

We don't have any of the traits that made us click the the Stanley Cup finals a few years ago. We lost our mojo, so to speak, and truthfully, I don't think a coaching change, or even one or two key pieces will change this.
This team is stale to the core and it pains me to say it.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I'm actually shocked at how low Garrison's point totals are given how much offense the team generates with him on the ice.

Garrison: 5 points on 28 GF (17.9%)

Hamhuis: 14 points on 26 GF (53.8%)

Edler: 12 points on 25 GF (48%)

Bieksa: 6 points on 21 GF (28.6%)

By all rights he should have some more assists in there, if only by pure dumb luck. Hamhuis has 8 secondary assists already this year while Garrison has only 1.

Agreed. Garrison may not be picking up the points but holy moly has he been impressive once he acclimatized to the system. I like him a lot.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I feel compelled to mention, for posterity, that before this season began I called that we miss the playoffs this season.

We don't have any of the traits that made us click the the Stanley Cup finals a few years ago. We lost our mojo, so to speak, and truthfully, I don't think a coaching change, or even one or two key pieces will change this.
This team is stale to the core and it pains me to say it.

There's a vast difference between not being a Stanley Cup favorite and not even making the playoffs. I just don't see this team finishing where Calgary did last season, especially given their remaining schedule (only 10 of 24 games against teams currently in a playoff position).

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
last year vs this year

2012(LY)

we were 6th in the west(29pts) 2nd in the division behind Min(31pts)

we had 29pts 14-9-1 73gf 60ga.........25ppg(24.8) 48evstrgf..... 12ppga 48evstrga

this year we are 6th in the west(28pts) 2nd behind Min(28pts)

we have 28pts 11-7-6 66gf ......14ppgf(15.0) 50evstregf .........18ppga(80.2) 44evstrga

so main diffrence is evstr slightly better and special teams worse.......this year.

standings same

booth,kesler and malholtra healthy last year

Last edited:

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
Henrik LY 8-16=24pts......now 6-18=24pts
Daniel LY 7-20=27pts.......now 8-15=23pts
Burrow LY 8-4=12pts........now 5-9=14pts
Kesler LY 5-9=14pts..........now 1-4=5pts

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Booth has 1 goal in his last 25 games, a meaningless one against Edmonton. Not sure why people think that posters prediction is so crazy. ''But uhh he's working hard and like hitting and trying and goes to the net thats good enough for 4 million''

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
Booth has 1 goal in his last 25 games, a meaningless one against Edmonton. Not sure why people think that posters prediction is so crazy. ''But uhh he's working hard and like hitting and trying and goes to the net thats good enough for 4 million''

1 goal in last 16gms to be fair....ie coming off injury (always hard to produce) TO BE FAIR TO INJURED PLAYER(not counting 9gms this year......see how hes producing after 16-20gms

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

So you think he'll go goalless in his next 50 odd games?

NHLNucksFan

Mar 6, 2011
Vancouver
last year vs this year

2012(LY)

we were 6th in the west(29pts) 2nd in the division behind Min(31pts)

we had 29pts 14-9-1 73gf 60ga.........25ppg(24.8) 48evstrgf..... 12ppga 48evstrga

this year we are 6th in the west(28pts) 2nd behind Min(28pts)

we have 28pts 11-7-6 66gf ......14ppgf(15.0) 50evstregf .........18ppga(80.2) 44evstrga

so main diffrence is evstr slightly better and special teams worse.......this year.

standings same

booth,kesler and malholtra healthy last year
We don't have the luxury of time here. I understand the numbers look the same or similar but it's the fact we're losing in such manners and to Western only teams too.

It's not bad if you look at last year after 48 games (29-15-4, 62 points, 2nd in the West) but given how some other teams are fairing this year, we can't rely on the same scenario.

Steve Bennett*

Winning percentage is probably what was calculated, to account for the variable of games played.

Yeah before yesterday we were tied for 6th, so I guess through our struggles we have not really fallen behind - maybe we are a little spoiled having such a high end team the last few years. Mind you I'm not so sure we'll win tomorrow night and that 10th place could fall to the dead middle of the pack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad