Half team Russia not going to the World Cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Accoridng to Sport-Express, Russia's leading sports newspaper, Nabokov may not be going to the World cup because he's planning to have a surgery on his knee while Khabibulin's relationship with FHR is pretty bad which is why he may decline to go.

Pretty bad when the only 2 solid goalies that the country has are not going to play for you, right? Well it gets even better.

Danny Markov is scheduled to have a shoulder surgery which could prevent him from playing as well. Kovalchuk and Fedorov apparently have a bad relationship with FHR just like Khabibulin and may not go too.

I just love being a team Russia fan.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
wow...they'd better all be there. i payed good money for my canada-russia tickets, and i want to see a good game against real goalies

BCCHL inactive

I thought Nabokov wasn't allowed to represent Russia since he played for Kazakhstan at the 1999 World U20 Championships.

...Or do IIHF regulations have absolutely nothing to do with this tournament?

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Nabokov was allowed to join Russia, but if he's injured, it doesn't really matter..

I'm pretty pissed about tickets too. The only reason why I bought that damn 5 game pack was to see my country for the first time, and if this is the ******** I get, then I don't want it.. any way to get a refund from ticketmaster?

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I'm a big fan of Frolov, and have wondered why Bryzgalov wasn't picked as the 3rd goalie, but Frolov can't replace Kovalchuk AND Fedorov while Bryzgalov is nowhere near Khabibulin's quality.

jol

Jan 31, 2003
Miami Beach, Florida
Visit site
Van said:
I thought Nabokov wasn't allowed to represent Russia since he played for Kazakhstan at the 1999 World U20 Championships.

Different rules, Canada/World Cup's rules are more liberal, I think
it's enough if you were born in country, you don't even have to be
citizen.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
jol said:
citizen.

I think somebody has to start a Sticky Thread about Nabokov's situation with IIHF :shakehead :banghead:

BCCHL inactive

jol said:
citizen.

The World Cup is played under NHL Rules. Where I am unsure of the regulations is when it comes to who is eligible for the national teams.

Last I heard with the IIHF, they denied Nabokov the right to represent Russia. I guess the IIHF has no sanction whatsoever on the World Cup.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
guys lets not get ahead of ourselves. if nabokov cant play, it still leaves us with KHABIBULIN and i think he will get over his issues and will play, he did agree to play so far
as for FEDOROV and KOVALCHUK, they have also agreed to play so far so lets hope they will play. and lets be realistic here, not all of these players will just bail out. so if one of them bails out, there is FROLOV we can take and he will help a lot.
as for D.MARKOV, lets first find out how he's surgery goes...everyone jumped the gun on ESCHE not playing and now it seems he will play as well.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
This tournament has nothing to do with the IIHF as far as I'm concerned. The NHL and NHLPA decide who gets to play for who, and they're being reasonable... Nabokov played for Kazakstan back in the day, but he wants to play for Russia now, so they're letting him.

BruinsGirl

Aug 27, 2002
Bruinsville, MA
Visit site
I think they all gonna play baring serious injury...

Russia is "wealthy" country and I am sure they'll get inncentives.

It's also NHL tournament so anybody can play..even Zubrus who is Lithuanian and has nothing to do with Russia. ;)

thrill_me_mogilny

May 23, 2003
MOGiLNY said:
any way to get a refund from ticketmaster?

No. But someone would buy them from you. I have always loved Russian hockey(shh-don't tell my Slovak family!) and hate when things like this happen.

On the bright side, if a lot of the selected players don't play, we could be treated to some unsung(in NA) Russian players playing their lives out for a chance to showcase their skills for NHL gigs.

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
Van said:
The World Cup is played under NHL Rules. Where I am unsure of the regulations is when it comes to who is eligible for the national teams.

Last I heard with the IIHF, they denied Nabokov the right to represent Russia. I guess the IIHF has no sanction whatsoever on the World Cup.

Haha, you're going to have wilka91 on your case in short order. He's had to explain it a bunch of times.

a)Yes, the IIHF has no sanction on the World Cup. For instance Zubrus is Lithuanian, but playing for Russia. After the tournament he will still be able to play for Lithuania in IIHF tournaments.

b)Even if this were an IIHF tournament, there was an IIHF ruling that said that Nabokov could play for team Russia. So at future IIHF events he will be able to play for Russia.

I hope I got that right, that's what I remember anyways.

Markov

Apr 16, 2004
Land of ice and snow
Slick Nick said:
I think somebody has to start a Sticky Thread about Nabokov's situation with IIHF :shakehead :banghead:

You got that right! At least once a day this question is asked. (IIHF ruling says Nabokov is eligible to play for Russia)

Where's wilka91? I think he owns royalities on this question. ;)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
colonel_korn said:
b)Even if this were an IIHF tournament, there was an IIHF ruling that said that Nabokov could play for team Russia. So at future IIHF events he will be able to play for Russia.

I hope I got that right, that's what I remember anyways.

This is not correct. he was denied because he represented Kazakhstan in the WJC's. I think you can switch after playing for a U-18, but not a U-20.

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
go kim johnsson said:
This is not correct. he was denied because he represented Kazakhstan in the WJC's. I think you can switch after playing for a U-18, but not a U-20.

They have changed the rules. Nabokov have played in Russia for more than four years (I think it was four years) and is therefore permitted to play for Russia.

Simagin

Nov 18, 2002
possible replacements?

Bryzgalov :lol

Kalinin? Korolyuk? Brylin? Frolov?

:shakehead :banghead: :mad:

this poor poor Mr. Steblin and the FHR.....

:dunno:

Last edited:

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Van said:

just do a search, we've answered this like a hundred times

Nabokov is allowed to play for Russia at any IIHF tournament

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
First: PLEASE, let's not talk about Nabokov's nationality any more!

Second: What means FHR? Is it coaching staff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad