Tribute Half point of the season

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
Galch was a potential star that fell. Could be nothing or could ba a diamond in the rough.

My guess is he is a project for the future. Get him, sign him cheap for a few years, then you use next year when you lose Thornton and maybe Kerfoot (or Kerfoot's rental replacement.) If he works out he could a great bargain.

For now we should look to get a proven top 6 rental.

This was my thought as well, providing he wants to stay. I thought it’s a bit odd otherwise to make the trade for him and put all this effort into him only to walk as a UFA half a season later.

Reactions: willmma

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
you think Simmonds will get a regular spot in the top 9?
I know he will. He will be on the powerplay too. I have vcash bro. Don’t have the slightest idea how to use but i got it ha. He will be right back with Willy and JT in no time. You think he won’t get a sniff of anything but 4th line. We couldn’t disagree more here eh :)

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Nice thread.

Boy half the season already done. Time flies when you're in first place.

Let's finish strong here boys.
We are fifth in pts % now. Just lay a good beating on the Jets to start the second half Saturday. They haven’t lost 2 in a row yet this season. End that streak for them too :)

Last edited:
Reactions: MattySnipes

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
one of the most encouraging things about this team is that regardless of the outcome, we seem to be the better team on the ice 90% of the time. Last year there were plenty games where we either didn't deserve to win, or was a coin flip that ended up in our favor. But this year, this team looks completely in control of the game most nights. even in their 3 game slide, I'd argue they were the better team in every game. The results didn't match the flow of play, but it felt like they lost the game rather than the other team winning. Even last night when they were down a goal going into the 3rd, last year it would have been a foregone conclusion, EN at the end, maybe 2 and the leafs lose. But I really had no doubt in my mind that if they played the 3rd like they had played the 1st and 2nd that they would win the game. Historically i'd expect them not to play the 3rd that hungry, but this year the 3rd period has not been as much of a kryptonite as it has been in years past.

fun time to be a Leafs fan

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
one of the most encouraging things about this team is that regardless of the outcome, we seem to be the better team on the ice 90% of the time. Last year there were plenty games where we either didn't deserve to win, or was a coin flip that ended up in our favor. But this year, this team looks completely in control of the game most nights. even in their 3 game slide, I'd argue they were the better team in every game. The results didn't match the flow of play, but it felt like they lost the game rather than the other team winning. Even last night when they were down a goal going into the 3rd, last year it would have been a foregone conclusion, EN at the end, maybe 2 and the leafs lose. But I really had no doubt in my mind that if they played the 3rd like they had played the 1st and 2nd that they would win the game. Historically i'd expect them not to play the 3rd that hungry, but this year the 3rd period has not been as much of a kryptonite as it has been in years past.

fun time to be a Leafs fan

They learned they won’t win without defense,structure,discipline,sticking to a game plan and working hard. All them things realized on top of their talent level has catapulted them right to contender. It is fun. The depth has really worked their cans off . This is a full team effort.

Last edited:

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
What NHL player needs weeks and weeks to get used to a teams NHL system? This is just a random argument but it doesnt hold weight when you see players moved from one team to the next and step in shortly

If galchenyuk had some major injury he was coming off of I'd understand as it would be good to get AHL reps before coming up. However he played 8 games on the sens. Hes healthy and fit and needs the opportunity to see if he can be a top 6 winger on the leafs

He wont learn the leafs system by playing on the marlies . He needs to be on the NHL team and given 2-3 games with the 2nd line to see where he is at. Hes a vet player with plenty of games. If he us going to be good we will see within the first 5 games he gets. If he struggles than he can be sent down with no worries.

There does not seem any intention for the leafs to call him up with his name being mostly forgotten by the median and fans. Doesn't make sense to me with the team needing a goal scoring winger and Galchenyuk having been that in the past. I'm hoping he gets called up soon and gets game action. Hopefully sens back to back he is up and ready
I have a lot of confidence in the leafs organization in handling him correctly and not some joe blow on HF boards. Sorry dude.

It would have been a disaster to throw him in to the lineup right away, on the team in the largest spotlight, and watch him fail. To send him down and let everyone forget we have him and let him gain some confidence is most definitely the right way to go.

Reactions: Buds17

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Holl was the story for most of the first half. Now I would say that Hyman is becoming the new talk of the town: a beast (always was), but lately a line driver.

This is still an extremely likable team. You just know there is something special going on, and we will look back fondly at these times.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Holl was the story for most of the first half. Now I would say that Hyman is becoming the new talk of the town: a beast (always was), but lately a line driver.

This is still an extremely likable team. You just know there is something special going on, and we will look back fondly at these times.
No we won’t if Freddy keeps throwing down a 900 season. We will scratch and claw back and play tentative. Need a warrior in the net not a mouse. Even willy was getting revved up last game. He likes it he says. Damn right. Freddy internally spontaneously combusts ha. He has to snap and let it go once in a while. He just does

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Fred, Willie, Tavares, Dermott, Vesey (in limited minutes) will have better 2nd halves. Campbell will get more games in down the stretch letting us feel better going into playoffs if Fred falters, and also keeping Fred from being run down (fatigued) come playoff time. I bet we pickup a top 7 forward and some sort of cheap reliable depth defenseman with an all round game for our system, defensively strong, and maybe a bit physical, not soft.

Barring no trades, I think the top 4 cup favorites/contenders right now are: 1) Lightning; 2) Golden Knights; 3) Islanders; 4) Leafs; with the Lightning being the clear-cut #1. Lightning & Leafs have the best chance at making the final 4, where hopefully a high league seed will keep us from playing the Lightning right away. Odds are 1 or maybe none of the Golden Knights or the Islanders make the final 4 out of their divisions with some good teams to go through. IF were make it to the final 4, that would put us as likely the #3 favorite, possibly #2. Hopefully we continue to improve, stay healthy (specifically Matthews wrist) and add enough before the TDL to move up and challenge a team like Tampa (+Kucherov) or the others.

Mid-Season Report Cards (based by player to player and largely influenced by my expectation of them; So I'm not saying Jason Spezza has been better than Mitch Marner)

Forwards:
Auston Matthews: A+
Jason Spezza: A+
Zach Hyman A
Mitch Marner: A-
Pierre Engvall: B+
Travis Boyd: B+
Wayne Simmonds: B+
Alex Kerfoot: B+
Ilya Mikheyev: B+
Joe Thornton: B
Alexander Barabanov: B
Nicholas Petan: B-
William Nylander: B-
John Tavares: C+
Jimmy Vesey C-

Defense:
Jake Muzzin A
TJ Brodie A
Justin Holl A
Morgan Rielly B+
Zach Bogosian B+
Travis Dermott B-

Goalies:
Michael Hutchinson A
Jack Campbell A
Frederik Andersen C

Keefe & Coaching Staff: A

MVP:
Auston Matthews
Runner up: Mitch Marner

Matthews has been a complete beast and clearly the 2nd best player in the world going head to head with McDavid for the Hart trophy; I'd have him edging out McDavid as of now. He and Marner are leading this team.

Best newcomer: TJ Brodie
Runner up: Wayne Simmonds

Brodie has adjusted and has been the perfect top pairing complementary player Rielly has needed for years. Guy has fit right into the Leafs system and has been very good & reliable defensively. Wain train has brought the Leafs what they needed and plays his role well; looks great on the PP, tells guys to shoot it off his chest, and looks like he can be effective both in the top 6 and 4th line.

Top forward: Auston Matthews

Yup, Keefe rides them for a reason.

Top defenseman: Morgan Rielly
Runner-up: Jake Muzzin

Whole top 4 has been great but Rielly's been our best D with a lot of thanks to Brodie, but Muzzin has been leading the way from the 2nd shutdown pair playing an important role.

Best value (outplaying their contract): Zach Hyman
Runner-up: Justin Holl

Hyman's been a nightly beast at just 2.25m, he makes every line he's on better and has been great on every single one of them, especially that new 3rd line. Holl's been great in solidifying our top 4, shutdown pair, and penalty kill. I would have thought Bogo would have been playing over him for penalty killing but Holl's been great there.

Biggest surprise: Auston Matthews
Runner-up: Sheldon Keefe & the coaching staff

I knew he was good and that despite how good he's been that he had more (high ceiling), but I didn't think he could be this good this early, still with more to his game to be unlocked, and while playing injured... The way he's scoring now, adding layers to his game, and all of a sudden playing even more physical, I thought he would have left that in the playoffs, can't wait for this time around.

Malhotra with the powerplays, Keefe and the staff definitely have had a huge influence on changing the way this team has been playing (along with Dubas). Dubas got his guy and Keefe got to start with his own training camp this year and it's paying off. He's been great at finding the right combination of players, putting the lines in a blender, and managing his players individually and team as a whole.

Most intriguing player: Auston Matthews
Runner-up: William Nylander

How is he (Matthews) not, what a player he's becoming for the Leafs at just 23. Willie & his skill is always going to be intriguing and leaving everyone wanting more. A good scorer/playmaker, he shows flashes like in Winnipeg that he can dominate and be relentless. Some nights like that he looks like a completely different player with a different brain or something. Hopefully he can bring it all together.

Good first half, the bar has been raised.

Last edited:
Reactions: Primary Assist

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
He's getting acclimated to the teams style in the AHL. Nothing wrong with that, they're actually setting him up the best they possibly can for success.

That doesn’t take a month.
What happens at TDL, send them to the Marlies for a month or more.

Reactions: Garthinater

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Wish we play Alex Galchenyuk in the second half.

Hes a sniper in the past, atleast try and see if he has chemistry with line 2. Otherwise not sure why we dealt korshkov for him.

Teams been on fire this year but I want to see AG trued as 2LW and see if any chemistry occurs allowing us to not have to trade for a 2LW at the deadline
We're saving his debut for the Habs, hatrick guaranteed. Habs board implodes all is good.

Scion

May 25, 2012
What NHL player needs weeks and weeks to get used to a teams NHL system? This is just a random argument but it doesnt hold weight when you see players moved from one team to the next and step in shortly

If galchenyuk had some major injury he was coming off of I'd understand as it would be good to get AHL reps before coming up. However he played 8 games on the sens. Hes healthy and fit and needs the opportunity to see if he can be a top 6 winger on the leafs

He wont learn the leafs system by playing on the marlies . He needs to be on the NHL team and given 2-3 games with the 2nd line to see where he is at. Hes a vet player with plenty of games. If he us going to be good we will see within the first 5 games he gets. If he struggles than he can be sent down with no worries.

There does not seem any intention for the leafs to call him up with his name being mostly forgotten by the median and fans. Doesn't make sense to me with the team needing a goal scoring winger and Galchenyuk having been that in the past. I'm hoping he gets called up soon and gets game action. Hopefully sens back to back he is up and ready

Alex Galchenyuk has skating issues that have been compounded by multiple knee surgeries. The reason that the Leafs kept him with their skills development team for a week and then sent him down to the AHL is because they are attempting to rebuild his dynamic posture from the ground up and that cannot be done at the NHL level. This project will most likely end up a failure because of how hard it is to relearn how to skate at 28, but this is the only chance the Leafs have of actually correcting what has hindered him as a player.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Fred, Willie, Tavares, Dermott, Vesey (in limited minutes) will have better 2nd halves. Campbell will get more games in down the stretch letting us feel better going into playoffs if Fred falters, and also keeping Fred from being run down (fatigued) come playoff time. I bet we pickup a top 7 forward and some sort of cheap reliable depth defenseman with an all round game for our system, defensively strong, and maybe a bit physical, not soft.

Barring no trades, I think the top 4 cup favorites/contenders right now are: 1) Lightning; 2) Golden Knights; 3) Islanders; 4) Leafs; with the Lightning being the clear-cut #1. Lightning & Leafs have the best chance at making the final 4, where hopefully a high league seed will keep us from playing the Lightning right away. Odds are 1 or maybe none of the Golden Knights or the Islanders make the final 4 out of their divisions with some good teams to go through. IF were make it to the final 4, that would put us as likely the #3 favorite, possibly #2. Hopefully we continue to improve, stay healthy (specifically Matthews wrist) and add enough before the TDL to move up and challenge a team like Tampa (+Kucherov) or the others.

Mid-Season Report Cards (based by player to player and largely influenced by my expectation of them; So I'm not saying Jason Spezza has been better than Mitch Marner)

Forwards:
Auston Matthews: A+
Jason Spezza: A+
Zach Hyman A
Mitch Marner: A-
Pierre Engvall: B+
Travis Boyd: B+
Wayne Simmonds: B+
Alex Kerfoot: B+
Ilya Mikheyev: B+
Joe Thornton: B
Alexander Barabanov: B
Nicholas Petan: B-
William Nylander: B-
John Tavares: C+
Jimmy Vesey C-

Defense:
Jake Muzzin A
TJ Brodie A
Justin Holl A
Morgan Rielly B+
Zach Bogosian B+
Travis Dermott B-

Goalies:
Michael Hutchinson A
Jack Campbell A
Frederik Andersen C

Keefe & Coaching Staff: A

MVP:
Auston Matthews

Matthews has been a complete beast and clearly the 2nd best player in the world going head to head with McDavid for the Hart trophy; I'd have him edging out McDavid as of now. He and Marner are leading this team.

Best newcomer: TJ Brodie
Runner up: Wayne Simmonds

Brodie has adjusted and has been the perfect top pairing complementary player Rielly has needed for years. Guy has fit right into the Leafs system and has been very good & reliable defensively. Wain train has brought the Leafs what they needed and plays his role well; looks great on the PP, tells guys to shoot it off his chest, and looks like he can be effective both in the top 6 and 4th line.

Top forward: Auston Matthews

Yup, Keefe rides them for a reason.

Top defenseman: Morgan Rielly
Runner-up: Jake Muzzin

Whole top 4 has been great but Rielly's been our best D with a lot of thanks to Brodie, but Muzzin has been leading the way from the 2nd shutdown pair playing an important role.

Best value (outplaying their contract): Zach Hyman
Runner-up: Justin Holl

Hyman's been a nightly beast at just 2.25m, he makes every line he's on better and has been great on every single one of them, especially that new 3rd line. Holl's been great in solidifying our top 4, shutdown pair, and penalty kill. I would have thought Bogo would have been playing over him for penalty killing but Holl's been great there.

Biggest surprise: Auston Matthews
Runner-up: Sheldon Keefe & the coaching staff

I knew he was good and that despite how good he's been that he had more (high ceiling), but I didn't think he could be this good this early, still with more to his game to be unlocked, and while playing injured... The way he's scoring now, adding layers to his game, and all of a sudden playing even more physical, I thought he would have left that in the playoffs, can't wait for this time around.

Malhotra with the powerplays, Keefe and the staff definitely have had a huge influence on changing the way this team has been playing (along with Dubas). Dubas got his guy and Keefe got to start with his own training camp this year and it's paying off. He's been great at finding the right combination of players, putting the lines in a blender, and managing his players individually and team as a whole.

Most intriguing player: Auston Matthews
Runner-up: William Nylander

How is he (Matthews) not, what a player he's becoming for the Leafs at just 23. Willie & his skill is always going to be intriguing and leaving everyone wanting more. A good scorer/playmaker, he shows flashes like in Winnipeg that he can dominate and be relentless. Some nights like that he looks like a completely different player with a different brain or something. Hopefully he can bring it all together.

Good first half, the bar has been raised.

I'm so curious about your grading criteria.

Hutchison gets an A?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
It's Hutchinson everyone had a stroke when Dell was claimed and then another when he started a game. Did pretty well in 5 considering what he was like last season. A for the third string.

With all due respect, if I were a GM evaluating goaltending I wouldn't bank on a Hutchison/Campbell tandem. Not in a year when this team MUST show results in the playoffs.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Curious what Marner would have to do to get that A+ rating ? Lead the team in points ? play all 200ft ? Lead the PP ? Lead the PK ? What exactly is he lacking ?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
With all due respect, if I were a GM evaluating goaltending I wouldn't bank on a Hutchison/Campbell tandem. Not in a year when this team MUST show results in the playoffs.

Leafs would be better off if they made a desperation pay for Dave Rittich if it came down to Hutchinson/Campbell.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
We played 28 of 56 games.

Here is what we accomplished

We are
#1 in points in the league
#1 in goals for
#1 goal scorer in the league
#2 PP% in the league
on pace to 117 points in 82 game season

and despite 3 game slide, we played quite well.
The effort the team was in the first Jets game was praise. Impressive effort.

Excellent first half.

We need better goaltending in the second half.
Andersen is #50 in the league with .903 saves. just Ok. not good.

Keep the HEM line intact.

We're going to be even better when the Wayne Train returns

GO LEAFS GO.

Share your midterm report cards here and/or pay tribute to the team.
Losers of 4 out of the last 5......just saying...

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
A quarter of our remaining games are against the Jets, plus another couple against Edmonton. That first seed definitely isn't looking as safe as it was a couple weeks ago.
We vastly outplayed them in 3/4 games so far. I'm pretty sure we will expand on our lead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad