We played 28 of 56 games.

Here is what we accomplished

We are
#1 in points in the league
#1 in goals for
#1 goal scorer in the league
#2 PP% in the league
on pace to 117 points in 82 game season

and despite 3 game slide, we played quite well.
The effort the team was in the first Jets game was praise. Impressive effort.

Excellent first half.

We need better goaltending in the second half.
Andersen is #50 in the league with .903 saves. just Ok. not good.

Keep the HEM line intact.

We're going to be even better when the Wayne Train returns

GO LEAFS GO.

Share your midterm report cards here and/or pay tribute to the team.

Steve776

Feb 8, 2021
A quarter of our remaining games are against the Jets, plus another couple against Edmonton. That first seed definitely isn't looking as safe as it was a couple weeks ago.

Reactions: Eric bungay

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
The only two things that I worry about are Andersen's goaltending and Matthews' wrist.

Our defense has been a huge bright spot. Our depth have been filling in for injuries and finding ways to produce. Our stars are clicking and putting up good seasons. The backup goaltending has been stellar.

There's things to nitpick of course. Specific depth guys have struggled, JT has had his issues, Nylander had a bad stretch, it's not all sun and roses. But those are all minor compared to Andersen and Matthews. If Freddy can sort himself out and play .915sv% for the rest of the year, I'm happy and we're sitting pretty.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The only two things that I worry about are Andersen's goaltending and Matthews' wrist.

Our defense has been a huge bright spot. Our depth have been filling in for injuries and finding ways to produce. Our stars are clicking and putting up good seasons. The backup goaltending has been stellar.

There's things to nitpick of course. Specific depth guys have struggled, JT has had his issues, Nylander had a bad stretch, it's not all sun and roses. But those are all minor compared to Andersen and Matthews. If Freddy can sort himself out and play .915sv% for the rest of the year, I'm happy and we're sitting pretty.

Good summary and yup, those are the only two things I worry about as well.

Despite our recent mini slump, we're 5th overall. Not too shabby.

Maybe one more thing I'm worried about - the idea of trading futures when our goaltending is uncertain. A 2nd or 3rd round pick I could live with but I really hope Dubas doesn't trade away a 1st rounder or an A prospect for a rental.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Good summary and yup, those are the only two things I worry about as well.

Despite our recent mini slump, we're 5th overall. Not too shabby.

Maybe one more thing I'm worried about - the idea of trading futures when our goaltending is uncertain. A 2nd or 3rd round pick I could live with but I really hope Dubas doesn't trade away a 1st rounder or an A prospect for a rental.
Yeah I'm pretty on the fence with rentals too. On the one hand, I don't blame a team for wanting to load up. On the other, we might be looking at pure rentals only because of the impending expansion draft. I think our main needs are some middle six scoring and maybe a 3c, those don't cost 1st round picks, and prospects like Sandin/Liljegren/Robertson are pretty much never traded for rentals. So we'll see. There's certainly a part of me that's hoping we make a move for a goalie, but it's hard to see a trade like that materializing when so many teams are still in the hunt. Not many good options, so mostly I'm just praying that Fred can find his .915 game again.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Simmonds is overrated af on here. I doubt he cracks the top 9 when he gets back
I dunno if overrated is the right term. He brings an element of the game that the leafs have lacked the last few years. It's in leaf fans DNA to like and appreciate lunchpail type guys. While no-one in their right mind should be clamouring to have him playing with top guys 5v5, he does add another wrinkle to the pp and is still an effective 3rd or 4th liner.

Over appreciated for what he's done, I'd be in line with. Overrated would be us considering he's much better than what he is, which, I think the bulk of us on hfleafs understand what he is at this point in his career. Maybe I'm arguing semantics, but it's not a bad thing to like and appreciate hard workers. I learned that the hard way with Hyman and am super good with eating crow on my hot takes of him from a few seasons back.

Reactions: Eric bungay

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
We are a elite team at the half point here and there isn’t complaining about our defensive play. We rank very well defensively in the league in the highest scoring division. If Freddy went on a heater,everyone was healthy we could be pretty dominating in stretches this next half.

Reactions: willmma

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
March 25th to April 24th will be a very tough stretch. Playing 17 games in 31 days.

That's 1 game every 1.8 days.

We have to do load management. Give each of our top players a night off. Give younger players more ice time. Play the backup goalies more. We don't want to be utterly exhausted going into the playoffs.

Our eyes should be on preparing for the playoffs.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Wish we play Alex Galchenyuk in the second half.

Hes a sniper in the past, atleast try and see if he has chemistry with line 2. Otherwise not sure why we dealt korshkov for him.

Teams been on fire this year but I want to see AG trued as 2LW and see if any chemistry occurs allowing us to not have to trade for a 2LW at the deadline

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON

Hes a sniper in the past, atleast try and see if he has chemistry with line 2. Otherwise not sure why we dealt korshkov for him.

Teams been on fire this year but I want to see AG trued as 2LW and see if any chemistry occurs allowing us to not have to trade for a 2LW at the deadline
He's getting acclimated to the teams style in the AHL. Nothing wrong with that, they're actually setting him up the best they possibly can for success.

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
Simmonds is overrated af on here. I doubt he cracks the top 9 when he gets back

Maybe. I think he brings an element we need. He will park his ass in front of the net and fight for scraps. We don't screen goalies enough. We don't get enough tip ins. We don't get enough garbage goals. Simmonds will bring that element if nothing else.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He's getting acclimated to the teams style in the AHL. Nothing wrong with that, they're actually setting him up the best they possibly can for success.
What NHL player needs weeks and weeks to get used to a teams NHL system? This is just a random argument but it doesnt hold weight when you see players moved from one team to the next and step in shortly

If galchenyuk had some major injury he was coming off of I'd understand as it would be good to get AHL reps before coming up. However he played 8 games on the sens. Hes healthy and fit and needs the opportunity to see if he can be a top 6 winger on the leafs

He wont learn the leafs system by playing on the marlies . He needs to be on the NHL team and given 2-3 games with the 2nd line to see where he is at. Hes a vet player with plenty of games. If he us going to be good we will see within the first 5 games he gets. If he struggles than he can be sent down with no worries.

There does not seem any intention for the leafs to call him up with his name being mostly forgotten by the median and fans. Doesn't make sense to me with the team needing a goal scoring winger and Galchenyuk having been that in the past. I'm hoping he gets called up soon and gets game action. Hopefully sens back to back he is up and ready

Reactions: Garthinater

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

If Gally commits to defense and fits in just defensively he is a excellent pick up. He will produce. He could possibly produce more than Johnsson who has 3 goals for Jersey. Anderson only played one game for us. Only 3 goals behind Johnsson lol.
Anderson,Gally and Robertson can and possibly will be getting playing time down the stretch.
There is some depth in place so I wouldn’t expect dubas to be interested in paying much for a rental. Maybe if it’s a serious rental with a extra year on them he would but that also has a bearing on the expansion draft.
This trade deadline could be dead alright

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
What NHL player needs weeks and weeks to get used to a teams NHL system? This is just a random argument but it doesnt hold weight when you see players moved from one team to the next and step in shortly

If galchenyuk had some major injury he was coming off of I'd understand as it would be good to get AHL reps before coming up. However he played 8 games on the sens. Hes healthy and fit and needs the opportunity to see if he can be a top 6 winger on the leafs

He wont learn the leafs system by playing on the marlies . He needs to be on the NHL team and given 2-3 games with the 2nd line to see where he is at. Hes a vet player with plenty of games. If he us going to be good we will see within the first 5 games he gets. If he struggles than he can be sent down with no worries.

There does not seem any intention for the leafs to call him up with his name being mostly forgotten by the median and fans. Doesn't make sense to me with the team needing a goal scoring winger and Galchenyuk having been that in the past. I'm hoping he gets called up soon and gets game action. Hopefully sens back to back he is up and ready

Galch was a potential star that fell. Could be nothing or could ba a diamond in the rough.

My guess is he is a project for the future. Get him, sign him cheap for a few years, then you use next year when you lose Thornton and maybe Kerfoot (or Kerfoot's rental replacement.) If he works out he could a great bargain.

For now we should look to get a proven top 6 rental.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Chucky is not good, guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->