Video Haley vs. McQuaid

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Haven't really seen Haley handled like this. Not saying this is a 1 sided fight but Haley usually digs in and gets in a few good pops.

Watching McQuaid in that box.....................seeing him just drift into space with all the concussions floating around makes me worried tho

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Haven't really seen Haley handled like this. Not saying this is a 1 sided fight but Haley usually digs in and gets in a few good pops.

Watching McQuaid in that box.....................seeing him just drift into space with all the concussions floating around makes me worried tho

First of all: Jesus Christ that announcing is awful. I know announcers show favoritism but that's just awful. "they're beating them and beating them up!". I have a headache just from listening to that.

McQuaid is a beast but how Haley didn't go down after that first shot is crazy.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
While i agree, Brick and Jack are definitely biased. I'll take those guys over idiots who hate anything physical. Christ some of the announcers sound like they're going to cry when a fight breaks out.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
First of all: Jesus Christ that announcing is awful. I know announcers show favoritism but that's just awful. "they're beating them and beating them up!". I have a headache just from listening to that.

McQuaid is a beast but how Haley didn't go down after that first shot is crazy.

The Bruins announcers are some of the worst in the business.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
They're homers but they're talented homers. Lets not pretend Jack Edwards doesnt know his hockey.

McQuaid definitely with a good showing here, he'll have to play more now that Carlo is injured.

I'm not going to pass judgement because I haven't seen too many of their games on that broadcast, but if that's the norm, than no knowledge can make up for that garbage. I get annoyed at our announcers because they get a bit infatuated with our players sometimes, but it's nothing like that. I didn't mind what the commentator was saying. He was biased but not unbearable like that PBP guy. Jesus Christ.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I'm not going to pass judgement because I haven't seen too many of their games on that broadcast, but if that's the norm, than no knowledge can make up for that garbage. I get annoyed at our announcers because they get a bit infatuated with our players sometimes, but it's nothing like that. I didn't mind what the commentator was saying. He was biased but not unbearable like that PBP guy. Jesus Christ.

He goes overboard with fights for sure. Hes a talented guy though..just a super homer.

Its called the New England Sports Network, its not like he was calling the game on NBC Sports.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
He goes overboard with fights for sure. Hes a talented guy though..just a super homer.

Its called the New England Sports Network, its not like he was calling the game on NBC Sports.

If you enjoy that or can even tolerate that level of favoritism than by all means, enjoy it. Personally I could care less how talented an announcer is when it's THAT biased. Again, I'm not saying he's like that all the time (I don't watch many Boston games, let alone on their feed), but that was awful. I can't stand over the top favoritism. I've switched feeds from the Ducks before when Scott Niedermayer used to play for Anaheim. He was awesome, but I don't need to listen to someone stroking themselves to him during a broadcast. Yeah, it's a local network, but I would call that level of favoritism unprofessional personally. It'd be different if viewers always had access to a different feed, but they don't. You can't always hide who you're rooting for, but going that overboard is a freaking joke (for any announcing crew).

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
If you enjoy that or can even tolerate that level of favoritism than by all means, enjoy it. Personally I could care less how talented an announcer is when it's THAT biased. Again, I'm not saying he's like that all the time (I don't watch many Boston games, let alone on their feed), but that was awful. I can't stand over the top favoritism. I've switched feeds from the Ducks before when Scott Niedermayer used to play for Anaheim. He was awesome, but I don't need to listen to someone stroking themselves to him during a broadcast. Yeah, it's a local network, but I would call that level of favoritism unprofessional personally. It'd be different if viewers always had access to a different feed, but they don't. You can't always hide who you're rooting for, but going that overboard is a freaking joke (for any announcing crew).

Hes calling a hockey game on a regional network, I love the enthusiasm personally. I also take his extreme homerism with a major grain of salt.

Its completely up to you though, like you said. Can definitely see why people would hate it.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Hes calling a hockey game on a regional network, I love the enthusiasm personally. I also take his extreme homerism with a major grain of salt.

Its completely up to you though, like you said. Can definitely see why people would hate it.

IMO, it being a regional network doesn't justify that level of favoritism. All I was saying is that their knowledge or, lack of, has nothing to do with that level of favoritism and definitely doesn't justify it.

And come on now, favoritism and enthusiasm/passion are not the same thing. Enthusiasm is awesome but it's not hard to at least somewhat hold back. Passion and Enthusiasm are great, but that's clearly not the issue in this debate. I never once questioned his enthusiasm.

Come to think of it, I do remember the last time I watched a Boston feed. It was a few years ago when Stewart fought Krug, and this guy blasted Stewart on the air about jumping Krug. Krug later said he's the one who initiated the fight. Still, I'm not going to critique him too much because it'd be unfair as I don't watch them enough to have a solid opinion. That said, the guy clearly needs to show some restraint.

Last edited:

SunDevilHockeyFan

Bertuzzi's Italian Kitchen
Feb 1, 2018
Eugene OR / Orange County CA
I'd argue that the Bruins announcers aren't even that big of homers when the play isnt physical. They call opposition goals with as much passion as they call Bruins goals, and in game they recognize good play by the other team and their players pretty equally to the Bruins'.

Its just that when games get chippy and physical Edwards' bloodthirsty homer comes out and he likes to act like a mans' man. Otherwise I'd say he's one of the most exciting and knowledgeable broadcasters in hockey. Would love to hear him call a neutral game.

Patrice37

Jul 19, 2006
I'd argue that the Bruins announcers aren't even that big of homers when the play isnt physical. They call opposition goals with as much passion as they call Bruins goals, and in game they recognize good play by the other team and their players pretty equally to the Bruins'.

Its just that when games get chippy and physical Edwards' bloodthirsty homer comes out and he likes to act like a mans' man. Otherwise I'd say he's one of the most exciting and knowledgeable broadcasters in hockey. Would love to hear him call a neutral game.

I wish we could bookmark this post for every Bruins related thread that has a clip of Edwards. This season has been one of the worst for HF in regards to every single Bruins thread becoming a 10 page discussion on the announcers. Jack and Brick are two of the most knowledgable hockey guys in the league when it comes to broadcasting. Jack used to do national games and he was fantastic because he just loves the sport and oozes enthusiasm for good hockey and talented players. Brickley really isn't even that much of a homer I don't think and he often disagrees with Jack when he gets a little ahead of himself.

Thank you

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Anybody complaining about an Edwards fight call should hear him call a goal by the other team, or listen to him ball wash Crosby every time they play the Penguins. You would immediately cease calling him a homer, and realize he's just an over the top announcer who loses it sometimes.

And note: I f***ing HATE Jack Edwards' shtick. The only thing I like about him is he seems to get other fan bases to go batshit crazy. However, calling him the worst homer in the league ignores the times you'd swear he was working for the other team, instead of having his checks signed by NESN, which is partially owned by the Boston Bruins.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
On the concussion note, after re-watching that fight, I'm not sure I saw McQuaid really absorb any big shots to the head. I didn't see any real cause for concern, but just my 2 cents.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
WITH FACTS!

Its funny cause i get the over the top and home town bias, even dedpite the praise and excitement he has over opposing teams players and plays, but when it come to knowledge of the game and players, particularly the opposing team, prospects bit players etc etc he is right up there.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Jack Edwards is the absolute worst fight commentator there is. He just loses his mind during fights and gets too excited and it always sounds ridiculous.

He's a homer for sure, but like one poster said he calls the other teams with excitement too, but people just ignore that fact.

Reactions: MetM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad