Celebrity Death: Hal Blaine, 90

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
I'd heard the name, didn't know who he was and had to look him up this morning. You've left out key details: he is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, for instance, and he played drums on Pet Sounds for the Beach Boys, including on Good Vibrations. His work appeared on more than 35,000 recordings and 6,000 singles. I've heard the Wrecking Crew mentioned most recently by Mike Nesmith of The Monkees on some interviews on one of the Sirius channels talking about the Bakersfield country scene of the 60s, as Blaine worked with I believe both The Monkees and Nesmith individually. He worked with Elvis, The Mama's and the Papa's, John Denver, Nancy Sinatra, Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, most of Phil Spector's "Wall of Sound", Steely Dan, and many, many, many other household name musicians. He started out with Count Basie (at least that's how I'm reading it).

Reactions: CHGoalie27

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Classic example of a guy that nobody ever heard of but everybody heard. Such is the life of a session musician.

Hopefully more people will get to know who he was and how much of a legend he remains.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad