Hainsey Marleau Dad Appreciation

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
These two are fighting to stay in the league, as hard, or harder than some of the young bucks are fighting to get into the league.

They are about my age or older. I can appreciate these Dad Heroes. Long may you run!

We've been through
Some things together
With trunks of memories
Still to come
We found things to do
In stormy weather
Long may you run. - Neil Young

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
i hope Marleau lets the Leafs trade him in the offseason.
Its such a tough situation. He's such a likeable guy, and his off ice contributions to the team are enough for me to want to keep him. But the reality of the league is, you cant pay guys like him big bucks to be the 9th best forward on the team.

A Brooks Orpik situation would be ideal

Reactions: TML Dynasty

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I wonder if we sign Hainsey to a 1-year extension? He’s pretty underrated by plenty of Leafs fans, his game has no flash but he’s a smart, reliable dman. I don’t get people who think he’s declined this year - if anything he looks better this year than last.

We don’t have anyone else who’s remotely as good a fit as Rielly’s partner - other RD choices are Zaitsev, Oz and Liljegren, they’d all be terrible with Rielly IMO. Won’t have much money to spend on UFAs either, doubt we can find a better UFA partner for Rielly with the $$ we’ll have to spend.

For Rielly’s partner next season, I think the realistic options are:
  • Trade Gards+ for an RD before the deadline
  • Re-sign Hainsey on a cheap, short (ideally 1-year) deal
  • Trade for an RD in the offseason - likely costs us a very good forward
I like the “trade Gards+” option the best, but barring that, re-signing Hainsey makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: slozo and frog

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It’s kinda odd.

We always hear of Marleau being close with Matthews, and Marner. Martin was close with all the young guys too.

Never really hear anything about Hainsey.

Reactions: FishManSam

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I wonder if we sign Hainsey to a 1-year extension? He’s pretty underrated by plenty of Leafs fans, his game has no flash but he’s a smart, reliable dman. I don’t get people who think he’s declined this year - if anything he looks better this year than last.

We don’t have anyone else who’s remotely as good a fit as Rielly’s partner - other RD choices are Zaitsev, Oz and Liljegren, they’d all be terrible with Rielly IMO. Won’t have much money to spend on UFAs either, doubt we can find a better UFA partner for Rielly with the $$ we’ll have to spend.

For Rielly’s partner next season, I think the realistic options are:
  • Trade Gards+ for an RD before the deadline
  • Re-sign Hainsey on a cheap, short (ideally 1-year) deal
  • Trade for an RD in the offseason - likely costs us a very good forward
I like the “trade Gards+” option the best, but barring that, re-signing Hainsey makes a lot of sense.

Re-Sign 1 year x 1/1.5 Million and play him with Liljigren on the bottom pair to ease the kid into the league

Rielly - Dermott
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Hainsey - Liljigren

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
It’s kinda odd.

We always hear of Marleau being close with Matthews, and Marner. Martin was close with all the young guys too.

Because media doesnt care about hainsey... As a reporter you would you rather talk about the friendship of an enforcer with the smallest guy on the team. Or a retiring and future hall of famer... You'd get fired if you decided to devote all your time on the average but likeable Ron Hainsey

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Both need to go.

Sorry.
Only Marleau's current contract needs to go. He's still on pace production wise. He's also a good influence on our kids. I wouldn't mind him back on a cheaper cap hit after next year, unless another Marlie is ready.

As for Hainsey, he just needs to have his ice time cut back and play on the 3rd pairing.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Rather read
It’s kinda odd.

A news article on Marleau over Hainsey as well as Marleau more high profile so I think that's all to do with it.

Reactions: 1specter

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
These two are fighting to stay in the league, as hard, or harder than some of the young bucks are fighting to get into the league.

They are about my age or older. I can appreciate these Dad Heroes. Long may you run!

We've been through
Some things together
With trunks of memories
Still to come
We found things to do
In stormy weather
Long may you run. - Neil Young

As Neil would say.

Welfare mothers make better lovers.....

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Ad

Upcoming events