Speculation: Hainsey Island

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Play 7 d-men every night and only use Hainsey on the PK, lol.
You know what, that is a pretty good idea.

That Nylander guy still has not showed up.

The competition is a little more tight on the backend than the forwards.

They can double shift a center in the 4th line role, such as Kadri, Tavares, Matthews.

Damn, on paper, what a good looking team.

Go Leafs Go!

:dunce:

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Wait what? Hainsey is our most reliable defensemen.. God are people now turning on him now? In a close game we need hainsey out there over Gardner, Zaitsev, Dermott, Carrick, etc.. He is the only guy that can keep Reilly steady.. Remember the Reilly-Zaitsev -20 pairing

Im convinced leaf fans hate everyone who isnt fancy, only scores goals or is under 30. Hainsey is our 2nd best defensemen.
Saying Hainsey is our 2nd best defensmen is such an insult to Gardiner. Yes in the final minute of a game, put Hainsey out there over Gardiner, but there are 59 other minutes of a game and in almost every one of them I’d rather have Gardiner out on the ice than Hainsey

Reactions: smitty10

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Ron Hainsey is a top pairing Dman on the Leafs defense and getting the 2nd most TOI/g among all Leaf players.

Let that sink in ...

Ron Hainsey should be a 3rd pairing guy as he fades into the limelight of his career now age 37 on a Cup competitive team. IMO

He was also second in ice time in Pittsburgh's Cup run in 2017. Just saying.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Opening night roster Leafs defense.

Gardiner - Zaitsev
Reilly - Ozhiganov
Borgman - Hainsey

spare: Martin Marincin

Free Marty!!

Limit Hainsey ice time on the 3rd pair and let him kill penalties and close out the game, he still can do that.

:devdance:
Gardiner-Zaitsev as the first pair? No Dermott?

I though thought 420 legalization day wasn't until Oct 17?

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Saying Hainsey is our 2nd best defensmen is such an insult to Gardiner. Yes in the final minute of a game, put Hainsey out there over Gardiner, but there are 59 other minutes of a game and in almost every one of them I’d rather have Gardiner out on the ice than Hainsey

Why? I wouldnt dare to put Gardner along side Reilly... It would be a disaster. The only two players I am comfortable being on the ice against top players are Hainsey and Reilly. I almost want to put Hainsey with Gardner to settle him down but he needs to be there to help Reilly.. Ideally we have 3 Ron Hainsey's one for Reilly, one for Gardner and one for Zaitsev. Then those 3 guys can play there game with a reliable partner to cover their mistakes

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Since you asked, what I thought, I think this numbering of Dmen of is meaningless....especially in Hainsey's case. Hainsey and Reilly were the Leafs best pair. Hainsey played so many PK cause the Babs was fearful to use any Dmen regularly not named Zaitsev, Reilly, Polak and Hainsy.
He was Leafs the Leafs third best Dman (at worse( last year. If you're a Leaf fan you hope Zaitsev and Dermot up their game so Hainsey can play fewer minutes and maybe they won't be a big distinction minutes played and effectiveness between the "3rd to 6th" guys.
If Babcock still has to pack onto all those minutes onto Hainsey because the other players aren't good enough, the Leafs will have trouble defensively .

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I say it's a 99.9% chance that Hainsey won't be re-signed for next season and we need to get off this "Island" talk. Kyle Dubas is not like Lou Lamoriello where he will exile you to the AHL because of your contract and that's something we should be happy about.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
We are full on Win Now mode.

I think you move Nylander for a Top 4 D at the trade deadline or earlier.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If Hainsey falters in the regular season the Leafs have accumulated a lot of depth that can be cycled in and auditioned.

Reactions: dsred

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I say it's a 99.9% chance that Hainsey won't be re-signed for next season and we need to get off this "Island" talk. Kyle Dubas is not like Lou Lamoriello where he will exile you to the AHL because of your contract and that's something we should be happy about.

Lamoriello didn't exile anyone to the AHL because of their contract. They were exiled because of their lack of ability to play in the NHL. A guy with a $4mil contract shouldn't be on the NHL roster if a guy with a $1 mil contract demonstrates he is as good or better a player.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Wait what? Hainsey is our most reliable defensemen.. God are people now turning on him now? In a close game we need hainsey out there over Gardner, Zaitsev, Dermott, Carrick, etc.. He is the only guy that can keep Reilly steady.. Remember the Reilly-Zaitsev -20 pairing

Im convinced leaf fans hate everyone who isnt fancy, only scores goals or is under 30. Hainsey is our 2nd best defensemen.

I don't see why diminishing Hainsey's minutes would result in him not being allowed to close out games where the score is close.

Last I checked those final 2-3 minutes are valid minutes that count towards ice time.

People want his minutes diminished because he's old and can't maintain it. Not because they hate him.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Hainsey played for WPG and ATL...

I do not think he has a place on the starting roster. He’s a great guy for the press box though, someone I would trust to step in any given night and be serviceable covering Rielly through Ozhiganov.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
I don't see why diminishing Hainsey's minutes would result in him not being allowed to close out games where the score is close.

Last I checked those final 2-3 minutes are valid minutes that count towards ice time.

People want his minutes diminished because he's old and can't maintain it. Not because they hate him.
Ok well thats fair... I just saw a string of posts of people complaining about him and wanting us to dump him or scratch him... Which made no sense to me what is going on anymore. I'd prefer to play him with gardner on the 2nd line but I dont have any faith in zaitsev on the top pairing.. Nor any other defensemen aside from Hainsey.

Ron ellis

May 26, 2018
Keep oriely zaitsev
Dermot ???.
Hainsey ozhiigenov

Trade gardener for a right dman put hainsey on his proper side promote Dermot when healthy. Holl or carrick ad 7 manGardener was responsible for a goal again last night.

ICECOLDBEER

Apr 2, 2017
I think we at least see Hainsey start the year with Rielly. I don't think you should put too much stock into the preseason although I agree he may have lost a step. Maybe he's taking it easy expecting to play big minutes again this year. You gotta at least give him a chance considering he worked so well last year with Rielly.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
No it's not because Gardiner is our best Defenseman so Hainsey being #2 is no insult to him .And if some of you would actually put down the XBox controller long enough to do your own homework you would find that when Reilly was out we played Hainsey and Gards together for big minutes and they dominated , it's amazing how good a D pair can be when one of them is cheating on the breakout and abandoning his partner .

Reactions: Slyfox

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Hainsey needs to get the Polak role of last year. Mainly against 3rd/4th liners at 5v5 and PK.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
No it's not because Gardiner is our best Defenseman so Hainsey being #2 is no insult to him .And if some of you would actually put down the XBox controller long enough to do your own homework you would find that when Reilly was out we played Hainsey and Gards together for big minutes and they dominated , it's amazing how good a D pair can be when one of them is cheating on the breakout and abandoning his partner .
It's great that Rielly doesnt abandon his partner, and is our best d man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->