haha, crosby clarifies his position. who'd have thought??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Strike (or lockout in this case) Pay is not Strike Insurance. Strike Pay is awarded in exchange for performing strike duty (picket line, office work, etc.) Not everyone qualifies for Strike Pay. Conduct unbecoming a union member is grounds for suspending strike pay. A Committee is usually sent up for this sort of thing.

YellHockey*

The Iconoclast said:
I do believe that BlackRedGold was trying to take a shot at the intelligence of the Buffalo fans, not realizing that if he hammers the union folk of Buffalo he does the same to the union folk in the NHLPA. He's really really good at hiding his blanket statements and then hiding behind the vagueness of them.

I honestly don't know what the overall education level of the city of Buffalo is. Although you seem to believe it is rather low since you believe that asking that question is an insult.

If you know what it is, why don't you just answer the question? Or you don't know and you're just talking out your behind AGAIN?

YellHockey*

Kaiped Krusader said:
Pro-NHLPA fans, moreso than pro-owner fans, seem to consider lobbing insults to be an effective means of debate. That's been my observation the last few months.

I didn't know that asking a question is now regarded as an insult.

But I guess the billionaires running the NHL have brainwashed some fans so much that they don't know up from down, left from right or a question from an insult.

Lanny MacDonald*

Bicycle Repairman said:
Conduct unbecoming a union member is grounds for suspending strike pay.

Oh, you mean like taking a job in the same industry (being a scab) across the ocean?

:eek:

Lanny MacDonald*

BlackRedGold said:
I honestly don't know what the overall education level of the city of Buffalo is. Although you seem to believe it is rather low since you believe that asking that question is an insult.

If you know what it is, why don't you just answer the question? Or you don't know and you're just talking out your behind AGAIN?

You have no idea? The boy from South Central Nepean has no idea what the educational standard of a major city a few hundred miles away? The expert on almost every subject has no idea about a city so close to his crib? I find that one hard to believe. I'll stand by my comments. You're extremely predictable at using sideways sliding insults in the same manner Bicycle Repairman uses troll lines. I'm sure this was just another one.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
BlackRedGold said:
Where does Buffalo stand in terms of US cities in regards to education?

I did a quick search, but didn't find anything. Maybe you could explain the relevance of this question in regards to a hockey discussion?

Last edited:

YellHockey*

The Iconoclast said:
You have no idea?

Did I stutter or are you too stupid to read what I have already written?

The boy from South Central Nepean has no idea what the educational standard of a major city a few hundred miles away?

Once again, quit asking questions I've already answered. Do you have a problem with your reading comprehension or is Fuhrer Bettman paying you to troll these boards?

The expert on almost every subject has no idea about a city so close to his crib?

If you think over 300 miles is close, feel free to try walking it sometime.

I find that one hard to believe. I'll stand by my comments. You're extremely predictable at using sideways sliding insults in the same manner Bicycle Repairman uses troll lines. I'm sure this was just another one.

Well, as usual you're wrong. If Buffalo were to be one of the lesser cities in the US in terms of education and I knew that why wouldn't I just state that as an explanation for the city's collective misjudgement? And if Buffalo were one of the better cities in the US in term of education and I knew it, why would I even bring it up?

YellHockey*

djhn579 said:
I did a quick search, but didn't find anything. Maybe you could explain the relevance of this question in regards to a hockey discussion?

I'm just wondering how an entire city can be hoodwinked by a snake oil salesman like Bettman.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
BlackRedGold said:
I'm just wondering how an entire city can be hoodwinked by a snake oil salesman like Bettman.

Maybe we just love hockey? :dunno:

Maybe we are smart enough to see that the NHLPA's position is, at the very least, not in the best interest of the Buffalo Sabres, and probably not in the best interest of the NHL? :dunno:

That couldn't be it. We should just let the players keep their free market (that in reality is not a free market...) and continue to watch hockey fade away...

Marconius

Jan 27, 2003
Visit site
thinkwild said:
Everyone assumes that players clarifying their initial off the cuff statement have been threatened. Did it ever occurr to you that once they do understand the issues they

I'm sure that's EXACTLY it. Crosby gave absolutely no thought to the lockout before now, cause, y'know, theres such a small chance that he actually makes it to the NHL, he just wasn't interested. When the journalist first asked him the question, Crosby was dumbfounded. How was he to know? This had nothing to do with him. Perhaps he better give them any answer just so they leave him alone.

Later that night, it finally dawned on Crosby that maybe, just maybe, he should figure out what this lockout thing was all about, just in case all the moons & stars aligned and he did make the NHL. After a long night of deep & personal reflection, Crosby decided that he better clarify his answer now that the NHLPA fairy ahd chosen to explain the facts to him.... :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

Marconius

Jan 27, 2003
Visit site
Hockeyfan02 said:
Yeah cause the owners have NO other income besides the teams they own. They dont own any buisnesses like Comcast, Little Ceasers, or Disney that give them income.....

I was just thinking how much the players deserved a share of the owners outside ventures as well. Why shouldn't Yzerman be entitled to a chunk of the Little Cesars fortune? Pull your head out of your ass, thats the most ridiculous statement so far in this thread

SENSible1*

Where does the NHLPA membership stand relative to the US/Canadian populace in regards to education?

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
txomisc said:
ok i dont know what planet you are from but in my world if you are the head of a group and that group is then sued by one of its members it at least somewhat reflects badly on you...and no you are not right so you are bullheaded. Rob Ray has not crossed the picket line therefore he has no violated the sacred NHLPA by actually doing anything. Stating you might cross a picket line is alot different than actually crossing the line. Perhaps you are smart enough to see that

He's stated unequivocally that he will cross a picket line. Not "might," but "will."

"I'd cross a picket line in a second. Why wouldn't I?" the 15-year veteran said.
- Rob Ray to the Associated Press, October 31, 2004

''I said what I said (about being a replacement player) and I'm going to stand by it because that's what I believe.
- Rob Ray, to the Associated Press December 28, 2004

Those are statements that seriously undermine the NHLPA's cause. He's also encouraging other members to follow in his path.

Now, if you went down to the local Public Library (it's a big building that has lots of books, I'm sure you've heard of them), applied for a membership card, and then proceeded to tell the libarian you had no intention of ever returning the books you're borrowing, who looks worse? You or the head of the Public Library Society?

myrocketsgotcracked

Bicycle Repairman said:
He's stated unequivocally that he will cross a picket line. Not "might," but "will."

"I'd cross a picket line in a second. Why wouldn't I?" the 15-year veteran said.
- Rob Ray to the Associated Press, October 31, 2004

''I said what I said (about being a replacement player) and I'm going to stand by it because that's what I believe.
- Rob Ray, to the Associated Press December 28, 2004

Those are statements that seriously undermine the NHLPA's cause. He's also encouraging other members to follow in his path.

Now, if you went down to the local Public Library (it's a big building that has lots of books, I'm sure you've heard of them), applied for a membership card, and then proceeded to tell the libarian you had no intention of ever returning the books you're borrowing, who looks worse? You or the head of the Public Library Society?

but he STILL HAVENT CROSS THE LINE!! he might have said he'll cross, and he might actually mean it, but until he actually play a game as a replacement, he havent break any "rules" IMO (unless one of the rules of the nhlpa is to not speak your mind if it undermind the pa's agenda).
but i guess i see the nhlpa's reasoning. why give somebody their share of money when hes publicly embarrassed you?

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
SuperKarateMonkey said:
but he STILL HAVENT CROSS THE LINE!! he might have said he'll cross, and he might actually mean it, but until he actually play a game as a replacement, he havent break any "rules" IMO (unless one of the rules of the nhlpa is to not speak your mind if it undermind the pa's agenda).
That's why rooms have doors. What's said in the room stays in the room. Ray, being a professional hockey player, has no doubt heard that saying a hundred times in the course of his career.

There was a big NHLPA meeting in Toronto happening that same week. All were invited. Why didn't Ray take his concerns there? No, he decided to beak off to some reporter instead.

Now he has to suffer the consequences of his actions.

Caseus

squirrelly wrath
Mar 9, 2004
Ottawa
I can't believe I'm saying this, but Bicycle Repairman has a point. You don't go against your union like Ray did and expect no retaliation.

I'm a card-carrying member of the union that owns part of the Toronto Maple Leafs (as a Sens fan, this is very distressing). Earlier this year we were preparing to strike because talks had stalled over the new CBA. I didn't want to walk the picket lines, which as I understood was only necessary if you wanted strike pay. It was quietly explained to me that if I didn't show up for picket duty, I would be blacklisted by my colleagues and life would be hell.

I can't comment on the legality of withholding his strike pay, but Ray had to know how the system works. I can only surmise that his words and actions are very deliberate.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
Caseus said:
I can't believe I'm saying this, but Bicycle Repairman has a point. You don't go against your union like Ray did and expect no retaliation.

I'm a card-carrying member of the union that owns part of the Toronto Maple Leafs (as a Sens fan, this is very distressing). Earlier this year we were preparing to strike because talks had stalled over the new CBA. I didn't want to walk the picket lines, which as I understood was only necessary if you wanted strike pay. It was quietly explained to me that if I didn't show up for picket duty, I would be blacklisted by my colleagues and life would be hell.

I can't comment on the legality of withholding his strike pay, but Ray had to know how the system works. I can only surmise that his words and actions are very deliberate.

That is one thing I really dislike about unions. What your explaining is basically extortion, but it is usually hard to prove who is doing it in many cases. We have a union here that has been investigated for trying to intimdate non-union labor. They have beaten people, slashed tires, and if I remember correctly may have blown up a construction trailer, but nobody knows anything...

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Unions have a history of operating and behaving much like the mafia. The Teamsters were legendary for this sort of reputation. There was a day when the union cause was so justifiable that the ranks were unified. Over time, they had to threaten their own members to stand in solidarity as they ventured away from 'needs' and into 'wants.'

The NHLPA today is a union that is under the control of the players who make way more than the average league salary. The median salary is a few thousand dollars below the average. The guys who make less than the average are actually the majority. Time will tell if they feel the NHLPA is fighting for them or for the superstars who inflate the average. The end result may be a split of the NHLPA into two factions...and the low end guys will be more willing to return than the big money guys, who aren't going to get those salaries in any other league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad