haha, crosby clarifies his position. who'd have thought??

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=109268

Team Canada phenom Sidney Crosby has clarified his stance on the option of joining the NHL next year should the league not have a new collective bargaining agreement.

"If there is an NHL with replacement players, I think for me to be involved and to say that I would play in the league is not true," Crosby told TSN. "If the NHL is the real NHL with the best players in the world, for sure I want to play in it but at the same time, if it's a league of replacement players, it's not the real NHL. And with all the things going on right now with players and owners, it's not right and I don't think I'd be playing in a league like that."

----

****, the pa got after him in no time...

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
deathbear said:
****, the pa got after him in no time...

Got after him? He IS a player, afterall. Albeit a future one at that. One would think it would make sense for him to support the players association without them having to pressure him into it...

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
hehe I bet he got a couple of calls from NHLPA cronies that wanted to "discuss" his original comments. aaahhh gotta love unions, afterall without them people wouldn't get paid $50 an hour to screw on a car door handle. :D

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
It's getting to the point where there should be some kind of investigation. I'm sure some of these retractions are because the union called and politely explained the union position and asked them to retract the statements. But we have also seen in the press where players have threatened anyone that plays as a replacement players. How many of these retractions are due to the NHLPA or the players calling these guys and mentioning that they could become targets and their careers could be in jeopordy if they don't retract their statements?

A Good Flying Bird*

djhn579 said:
It's getting to the point where there should be some kind of investigation.

My head hurts.

Exactly what is there to investigate?

SENSible1*

Bicycle Repairman said:
Or maybe, just maybe, the kid was asked to clarify some ambiguous statements that were attributed to him?

Nah, that couldn't be it. Could it?

His comments were relatively clear, as are the PA's strongarm tactics.

Legolas

Apr 11, 2004
Toronto, Canada
I could see Crosby's agent/advisor/family/etc. suggesting to him he may want to clarify his comments...Crosby is remarkably similar to Gretzky off the ice in that he is very poised and gives very standard, non-controversial answers and comments.

How great would it have been to hear him say "I think the union is screwing over entry level players like me, so I'm playing no matter what.." Not that I think that position is particularly true, but it would be funny nonetheless.

mytor4*

all i can say [and more than 80% of hockey fans i would also say] is i'll be happy when the nhl breaks the union--and they will.2 choices the players have 1-stay out union gets broken new nhl or players come crawling back with there tails between there legs.there's no if or buts. so you other 20% better get use to it.all your whinning and your other solution don't cut it.can't you guys get it .the players union has allready lost the battle,they are just to stupid to realize it yet. but it will click in soon enough.any body backing the union and thinking the union will win put an elastic band around your head and snap out of it. talk about being braindead.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
John Flyers Fan said:
...as opposed to the $1 million fine hanging over the heads of the owners/front office staff ....

Who's been fined $1 million? Who's been threatened with a $1 million fine? Back up your statement, please.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
Bicycle Repairman said:
What strongarm tactics? Who issued them to Crosby? C'mon, let's hear some names...

Who was it that threatened anyone that would be a replacement palyer? Pronger? I forget and don't really feel like looking up the thread...

As for who and what was said, isn't that what the investigation would be trying to find out?

I don't know about you, but if the comments Pronger (?) made are similar to what is being said to these guys to get them to retract their statements, that is extortion...

Extortion is a criminal offense, which occurs when a person obtains money, behaviour, or other goods and/or services from another by wrongfully threatening or inflicting harm to his person, reputation, or property.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extortion

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
djhn579 said:
Who was it that threatened anyone that would be a replacement palyer? Pronger? I forget and don't really feel like looking up the thread...

As for who and what was said, isn't that what the investigation would be trying to find out?
Crosby needs to be threatened in order to clarify a statement he made a day earlier? :amazed:

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
CarlRacki said:
Who's been fined $1 million? Who's been threatened with a $1 million fine? Back up your statement, please.

http://www.cbc.ca/national/news/nhl/bettman.html

Tim Haffey: My name is Tim Haffey, I'm born in Ottawa, grew up in Toronto. I've followed the game all my life, played as a youth, played in men's hockey, also unfortunately I followed the '92 strike very closely and the '94 lockout very closely and now here we go again. So my question this time around is, I think it's time the NHL. is a little more transparent in its stance, and what I'm alluding to is the players said they've looked at your books, yet they are under a confidentiality agreement. They have concerns, but they're hamstrung by the league in terms of making their concerns known. The other issue is this notion of a gag order on the owners. That's been widely reported. There are apparently reportedly, and maybe you can confirm this, a threat of 1 million dollars fine if they speak out. So my question to you is specifically addressing the gag order. Can you explain the nature of this gag order and why won't you let the owners speak up and address the notion of the salary cap? I'm wondering if they all really absolutely have questioned 101 would insist on a hard salary cap?

Gary Bettman: If you would question them one on one as we did at the last board meeting, to a man there was completely unanimous support. What we're trying to do is ensure that this work stoppage is as short as possible. When you have a board meeting where there are anywhere from 60 to 90 people sitting in the room, the skill of the media getting answers that could say almost anything from anybody is too great, and we want to make sure that the message is clear, because if the message becomes confused or diluted or seems to be inconsistent over some nuance, this work stoppage could go on longer and longer. Most of the day-to-day nuances of collective bargaining are things that team personnel are not as familiar with, they don't have to deal with, and they've entrusted us. I didn't issue the gag order. The board voted to have their own gag order on themselves because they felt, as is common in most collective bargaining situations, to have one spokesperson. And that's what we've done here.

Peter Mansbridge: Is there a million-dollar fine?

Gary Bettman: Potentially, but nobody's been fined a million dollars.

Peter Mansbridge: Yet.

Gary Bettman: Yet.

===============================================

Nobody has been hit with a million dollar fine, but the owner of the Thrashers (Belkinn)was hit with a $250K fine.

I also believe that Jeremey Jacobs was fined, but havben't found the link yet.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
Bicycle Repairman said:
Crosby needs to be threatened in order to clarify a statement he made a day earlier? :amazed:

If it was an isolated incident, it would be no big deal. But everytime any player, or potential future player, says anything against the unions stand, there is a "clarification" the next day. I would say that that seems suspicious...

Add to that that there is a history of making threats by the NHLPA or their members (didn't Chelios threaten Bettman during the last lockout?), that makes me wonder more what these players are being told.

Notice also that former players say what they want without the retractions. They don't have to worry about their carrers being threatened...

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
djhn579 said:
If it was an isolated incident, it would be no big deal. But everytime any player, or potential future player, says anything against the unions stand, there is a "clarification" the next day. I would say that that seems suspicious...

The NHLPA has the duty to communicate with their misinformed members, do they not?

djhn579 said:
Add to that that there is a history of making threats by the NHLPA or their members (didn't Chelios threaten Bettman during the last lockout?), that makes me wonder more what these players are being told.

Why was Chelios not charged then?

djhn579 said:
Notice also that former players say what they want without the retractions. They don't have to worry about their carrers being threatened...
Free country.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
People take things WAY too seriously when they want an investigation when someone clarifies their statement. I think money can be better spent than investigating why someone clarified something they said.

A Good Flying Bird*

Hockeyfan02 said:
People take things WAY too seriously when they want an investigation when someone clarifies their statement. I think money can be better spent than investigating why someone clarified something they said.

Here's the investigation.

Investigator: Sidney, did the PA get to you man? Did they get to you?

Sidney: No.

Investigator: Okay.

{investigator then seeks warrant to search Crosby's phone and email records}

Lanny MacDonald*

Newsguyone said:
Here's the investigation.

Investigator: Sidney, did the PA get to you man? Did they get to you?

Sidney: No.

{investigator then seeks warrant to search Crosby's phone and email records}

More along the lines of...

Investigator: Sidney, did the PA get to your agent? Did they get to you?

Sidney: They threatened to de-certify my agent so he he asked me if I would cool things and be more on the fence on this subject. Hey, all I want to do is play hockey. I leave all the politics and negotiation to my agent. That's what he's there for and why he's making his 5%. But between you and me, why would I care what Bob Goodenow has to say? He's throwing me under the bus. I'll do what my agent says. He knows what is best for me, and right now that is to be non-commital and talk about the weather.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
djhn579 said:
Extortion is a criminal offense, which occurs when a person obtains money, behaviour, or other goods and/or services from another by wrongfully threatening or inflicting harm to his person, reputation, or property

As in owners threatening players careers if they dont pay the protection-from-themselves money? Its the owners acting like Mafioso bosses to me.

I dont even think Sidneys initial comments required clarification. The kid is in a tough spot. Militancy wouldnt suit him right now. But he did say, he could see the players point of view and how them being involved and understanding the issues more than him who is just working for his dream to play in the NHL might see it differently.

Everyone assumes that players clarifying their initial off the cuff statement have been threatened. Did it ever occurr to you that once they do understand the issues they come to this conclusion on their own? No, sorry I brought it up.

Once Crosby thought about it, and was informed about it, he realized that he doesnt want to play scab hockey anymore than Gretzky and Lemieux want to be involved in it as owners.

I dont see anything wrong with anything he said. But he obviously realizes that he isnt going to be used by the owners to further their agenda. If he didnt believe this, I dont think he would have said it. I think most fans supporting the owners, if given the perspective the players have, would see things differently too. Just like Crosby.

Lanny MacDonald*

thinkwild said:
I think most fans supporting the owners, if given the perspective the players have, would see things differently too. Just like Crosby.

I strongly disagree with that. The majority of the players are NOT making the big dollars and have very little potential to cash in. They are the silent majority and are taking it in the kiester for the superstars. The young players have been pushed under the bus by the NHLPA and are being sold-out in comparison to the vets, even the 4th line scrubs. If this lockout were anything but something about the top 100 players continuing to be paid huge amounts of money I would agree with you. But when the NHLPA sells out the young players, those not yet drafted, and the second, third and fourth line players just to hold the top salaries in place, well that tells me they are not interested in what is good for the union. A union looks after the majority of the membership, not the minority. The NHL put an offer on the table that insured the majority were looked after and that the minority took the hit. If I were a player I would be some upset that MY union was willing to sacrafice the majority of my brothers, and put our careers at risk, in favor of those in the upper eschelon that have already made more money in a year than I will make in my career. You're delusional if you think that the run of the mill players see things much differently than that. They are showing solidarity at the moment, but when the cold reality of what the NHLPA is doing to them hits home they will abandon it. They are sacraficing their careers for Bill Guerin. How noble? No, how stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad