Confirmed with Link: Hags re-signed 4 years @ $2.75m

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
But then there's Burakovsky to replace also. We'll see. It's mostly having to rely on Stephenson/Boyd and what else that's in the system to help compensate that seems so suspect. Maybe in UFA they can find some value but at best it seems more like treading water. Is that enough?

Hagelin did help drive play in the regular season but overall they're going to need to get back to being a better, more dominant territorial team 5-on-5. That would put them in a much better position to withstand any step back in depth scoring by being more routinely in position to create chances and having a better chance differential. That will begin with sturdier, more assertive team defense...but the question marks are there with likely not that much cap space to go around and no obvious cap dumps.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...roaches/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.5b7016ded2dd

Sounds to me like a guy at least curious about what the market may bear and whether more prominent top 6/PP time can be had (in addition to solid money).

Yeah. I hadn’t seen that. I agree. That looks like a guy seeking something. So— he’s probably gone. As many have stated.

That’s fine. I think they could sign a Vanek type for half the cost of Connolly and get similar production.

That’s what would make some sense.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The problem with Vanek or a slower stopgap like bringing Chiasson back is they may struggle to keep up come playoff time. I like Williams, Donskoi or maybe Pominville more toward the $3-4M range and perhaps as options that could shift higher in the lineup if need be. I could also see them really liking Simmonds. I think that was alluded to previously.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
The problem with Vanek or a slower stopgap like bringing Chiasson back is they may struggle to keep up come playoff time. I like Williams, Donskoi or maybe Pominville more toward the $3-4M range and perhaps as options that could shift higher in the lineup if need be. I could also see them really liking Simmonds. I think that was alluded to previously.

I'd love Simmonds at 3RW. Would be a perfect fit IMO and hopefully he can regain his scoring form.

Also: Wilson, Gudas, and Simmonds on the same team? Talk about an absolute headache for other teams.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
I'd love Simmonds at 3RW. Would be a perfect fit IMO and hopefully he can regain his scoring form.

Also: Wilson, Gudas, and Simmonds on the same team? Talk about an absolute headache for other teams.

Maybe I am being too naive, but, Simmonds screams a BMac-type of signing to me.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Simmond’s and Williams are not fast either. Not markedly more than Vanek. But I like them both. Would be very Caps like to sign a couple older guys for smaller term/small dollars for a year.

Donskoi is a nice player. I know you’ve been pumping his tires for a few months.

Sharks are ripe for a hockey trade too. They have 16m in cap space left, and this list of UFA’s — Pavelski, Thornton, Nyquist and Donskoi. But what really kills them is their RFA’s — Meier and LeBanc.

I’d take either of those 2 in a heart beat. Or Hertl at 5.63m. He’s awesome.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
If the caps development of grinders was not a failure, than the bringing in of Hagelin at the deadline was ;)

Even Stephen.

Maybe Stephenson was injured, or had the old sophomore slump. But he is at the core of the discussion. I can give him a pass I suppose since he helped get a cup. What does Hags get a pass for to warrant 4 years? Riding the Pitt train isnt quite enough for me just yet.

I think its about the Hershey pipe drying up as much as his skill set.
I didn't say the Caps have guys in Hershey who could have taken Hags' spot tho. They don't. But not because they tried and failed to develop them, but rather because they prioritized a winning roster over giving young guys development time. So you could say that needing Hagelin is the price they paid for choosing a more veteran roster the past few years. Again, given the results, I'm good with that.

Plus also I think Tex is probably right that Hags will play on the third line at ES, so the young guys may get a chance to show if they can be his replacement in a year or two.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Simmonds and Vanek are both slower players who rely heavily on the PP for their production. Not particularly interested in either for filling a 3RW slot. I'd probably be happy with Pominville or Williams, depending on the contract. Donskoi would be ideal, but I doubt the Caps would be the only bidder for him.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
It’s a garbagey contract for a guy who can’t hit the broad side of a barn with a hockey puck.

Wake me when I’m wrong...

...hopefully.

Apr 6, 2004
Thoughts on Hags.... I see a lot of people adding up goal totals and doing the math of losing Conno, losing Bura, hoping this guy or that guy bounces back, projecting Wilson's totals over 82 games, etc. IMO, its all short sighted. We won the division yet again despite taking an entire month off and losing what, 9 straight? The RS still means almost nothing, or did these playoffs mean nothing as well? We lost to Carolina, not because our roster wasn't built right, but because the roster we built wasn't all there and Holtby blew a tire in the last 45 minutes of game 7.

What matters most is being hard to play against in the playoffs. Building a roster that has the right type of players that do the things that matter in the playoffs. Nisky was no longer hard to play against. Average players discovered they could pump their turbo button and blow past him to the goal mouth. Gudas brings the sandpaper that we'll miss with Orpik's departure. Hags, despite not being a gifted scorer, is damn hard to play against. He forces teams to deal with what he does well, unlike say Bura who no one has ever game planned around for a split second. Our PK was trash until he showed up. He gobbles up those minutes which lets the other PKers stay fresher - remember that one game he had like 7 mins PK time and could barely get over the wall to the bench at the end. Without Beags and DSP being scratched/gone, we didn't have a lot of good/great PK forwards. Now we don't need much else there.

Bottom line, I think if this deal was at 2.50 people would be calling is great value, but somehow at 2.75 people see it closer to 3 and don't like the price. But I can't see anyone anywhere else in the league at 2.75 that will be as annoying to play against as Hags. We don't need him to score 20+. We need him to put constant pressure on the PK and the forecheck, and he does that very well.

I love what GMBM is doing here. Managing contracts that no longer have value and bringing in guys who are a PITA to play against.

Anyone get the Bill Belichick vibe from GMBM? Value-driven in every way shape and form. The Niskanen trade to me is a perfect example.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I didn't say the Caps have guys in Hershey who could have taken Hags' spot tho. They don't. But not because they tried and failed to develop them, but rather because they prioritized a winning roster over giving young guys development time. So you could say that needing Hagelin is the price they paid for choosing a more veteran roster the past few years. Again, given the results, I'm good with that.

Plus also I think Tex is probably right that Hags will play on the third line at ES, so the young guys may get a chance to show if they can be his replacement in a year or two.

At the trade deadline, the penalty killing was a major problem and publically mentioned as an area they looked to improve. They needed that because they went with young players on the pk and it didn't work out. They brought in two players that had a proven track record on the penalty kill and it improved immediately.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Anyone get the Bill Belichick vibe from GMBM? Value-driven in every way shape and form. The Niskanen trade to me is a perfect example.

I think MacLellan is pretty straight forward with his contracts. He tells a player like Niskanen that he will give him the 7 years but needs flexibility to manage his salary cap as the contract wears down. The 7 years gives the player security and the team gets flexibility. Niskanen didn't seem surprised that he got traded.

Reactions: Sam Spade

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
At the trade deadline, the penalty killing was a major problem and publically mentioned as an area they looked to improve. They needed that because they went with young players on the pk and it didn't work out. They brought in two players that had a proven track record on the penalty kill and it improved immediately.

It's almost as if PKing and defensive awareness are skills rather than just easily adopted products of high energy.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
It’s a garbagey contract for a guy who can’t hit the broad side of a barn with a hockey puck.

Wake me when I’m wrong...

...hopefully.

71f87R2wMkL._SL1500_.jpg

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Yep, doesn't do the sentimental thing, and doesn't pay for past performance, just for future expectations. Good analogy, except Belichick is much more grumpy cat than BMac. GMBM's press interviews aren't painful to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad