Confirmed with Link: Hags re-signed 4 years @ $2.75m

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If BMac can simply double his salary to 3 mil over 4/5 years, I would hope Connelly would jump on that. Seems fair everyone and you don't have to uproot your family.

Now if some team offers him 4 x 4 I don't know what Connolly would do.

I think if you listen to Connolly talk, he thinks that he is 1st pp unit material. That with that he could score 30 or more.
He's never going to get that with the Caps. Wilson jumped him for pp mins last season. He wants a bigger role that the Caps
just cant provide

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I'd rather he trade first round picks than draft another goalie that they'll have to give away in half a decade or middle of the road LHD 4 years away from joining our huge logjam of low impact LHDs battling to make the 3rd pairing. Not a god damn thing to show for drafting in the first round since Vrana 5 years ago.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I think we're just looking at the dollars and cents and being realistic. Hagelin at $2.75mm is probably Burakovsky's $2.75mm. If that's the trade off then this team is weaker offensively. Connolly may be gone as well. That's 30+ goals leaving this team with limited dollars left to replace them.
I doubt seriously that these posts reflect even half of what is realistically possible for a savvy ninja GM like we have. MacLellan is not afraid of doing what needs to be done now to make a competitive roster and will worry about the future in the future.

Last edited:

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I dont think 3rd line of Hags and Eller can bring fireworks but being able to field them at any given moment will be very useful throughout the season. Neutral line, PK workers. Eller will have some PP time and that 3RW maybe too.

Hagelin-Eller-Connolly worked wonders before they started messing with that line for some reason.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Chimera had a lot more offense to his game than Hagelin, and still killed penalties. Perhaps not as highly regarded a PKer as Hagelin, but it's often hard to distinguish individual talent vs. systems integration on the PK.

Also, the team never signed Chimera to a deal longer than 2-years. They extended him multiple times, but each time was a short-term deal. I would have preferred that approach to Hags as well.

Chimera had a lot more offensive game? Interesting take. Chimera had stone hands. Worst I’ve seen. His point totals are almost the same as Hagelin at the same stages of their careers. Goals and points.

By what metric are you hanging you hat on, for that comment? I think that’s more about your narrative than the truth.

Reactions: tenken00

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
I have tons of trust in GMBM but I'm just concerned there's a vacuum of scoring forming, especially if they lose both Burakovsky and Connolly.

Sure. I get that. But if they don’t sign either Bura or Conno, they should have a good 4-5m in cap space. So either ride it for a bit with the kids and or cheap vets...or target someone in a trade that fits what you want.

Or wait til mid season and have 6-8 in space for a real difference maker.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
I think we're just looking at the dollars and cents and being realistic. Hagelin at $2.75mm is probably Burakovsky's $2.75mm. If that's the trade off then this team is weaker offensively. Connolly may be gone as well. That's 30+ goals leaving this team with limited dollars left to replace them.

Why is it limited dollars bro? I’d say close to 5m will be left after everyone else is signed...minus of course 65 and 10

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Chimera had a lot more offensive game? Interesting take. Chimera had stone hands. Worst I’ve seen. His point totals are almost the same as Hagelin at the same stages of their careers. Goals and points.

By what metric are you hanging you hat on, for that comment? I think that’s more about your narrative than the truth.

Chimera was "Mr. Stonehands". Couldnt get a goal even if he was standing 2 feet away and the goalie was taking sips from his water bottle lol

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Did Hags take a discount to sign here? I am not seeing it and bet he ran to Kettler to sign. It seems like most all other players are signing at a discount to stay here, yet it looks like we paid him a premium (term) if anything.

Whatevs, lets just keep telling ourselves BMac can trade him but when you are saying that the day after he signs, it says... something. Remain calm all is well. If we won a cup or made the finals with Hags, sure the contract makes sense. He was a no show in a choke job.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Did Hags take a discount to sign here? I am not seeing it and bet he ran to Kettler to sign. It seems like most all other players are signing at a discount to stay here, yet it looks like we paid him a premium (term) if anything.

Whatevs, lets just keep telling ourselves BMac can trade him but when you are saying that the day after he signs, it says... something. Remain calm all is well. If we won a cup or made the finals with Hags, sure the contract makes sense. He was a no show in a choke job.

You didn't watch him if you think that.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I have to assume GMBM has an aggressive plan still taking shape, or else the window feels a bit more closed than it did before.

Sounds fair to me. Many key scorers have questions mark: Ovi (age), Oshie (injuries), Kuzy (mysterious tropical disease), Vrana (inconsistency), Bura/Mojo/unknown, Hagelin (no scorer), even Wilson (too high SH%). Actually, none are proof from going down in goals (from our average estimates at least).

That's where Gudas will help with his tendency to make a good shot through the defense lines.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Sounds fair to me. Many key scorers have questions mark: Ovi (age), Oshie (injuries), Kuzy (mysterious tropical disease), Vrana (inconsistency), Bura/Mojo/unknown, Hagelin (no scorer), even Wilson (too high SH%). Actually, none are proof from going down in goals (from our average estimates at least).

No snark at all but every team in the league faces this. Guys play great one season than fall off, guys get injured, it happens. I would still trust our top six to perform over all but maybe two teams in the NHL.

It's the bottom six that needs to get their shit together and pitch in more. One or two more goals from the bottom six against the Canes and the Caps move on to round two. Well that a timely save from Holtby.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
You didn't watch him if you think that.

Help me then, what were his 5 most memorable plays from the series? I don't give a ratsass about preseason. Maybe his advanced stats show he dominated, someone please take a look.

I saw 1 assist and that every line he was on was not a threat to score. Maybe playing him up and down was a desperation move by Todd but I saw Flash II - Montreal 2010 all over again. A coach sprinkling a player around and them tanking.

If you didn't see him play on 3 lines and do nothing on any of them maybe you were overly focused on his PK duties? A good PK isn't all about one guy. It starts with the goalie and then, the system.

We won the cup without him, and choked with him. We won by being skilled and heavy. If Brian's vision is for us to become a small fast soft team, 4 years is fine. Otherwise, 4 more years of not fitting onto one of our playoff lines, yikes.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC

To answer your questions RH: 'Hard to say until the chips are in play'. However, I took a lil peep at the Pens board and they had a poll on what Hags salary & term (link below) would be. Most had him 3 to 4 years, and 60% had his salary over 3mil. Not very scientific of course, but they saw him play more games than we did. Also, he wasn't the only no-show and TR can shoulder more blame for losing that series then our surfer dude. So welcome to the Spicoli era. Surf's up brah! :wedgie:

Carl Hagelin's Next Contract

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I assume you thought the Oprik contract was a disaster and feel the same about Oshie. Not sure if Hagelin took a discount or not. I don't know his market. He took a paycut. That much is evident.

You think its a bad move. Fine. Moving along

Reactions: Sam Spade

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I assume you thought the Oprik contract was a disaster and feel the same about Oshie. Not sure if Hagelin took a discount or not. I don't know his market. He took a paycut. That much is evident.

You think its a bad move. Fine. Moving along

Wrong again, somehow! Twice. I loved the Orpik signing because it meant we had one player with a spine enough to hit on the backend. And sure as shit he was a physical force and led us to a cup. Oshie, the same - loved it. I want heart and soul players that give their all and play physical, as it is about the only thing that keeps me watching in between Ovi PPGs in the 6 month preseason.

With as many teams as Hagelin has had, it almost points to be him being a journeyman. Until now. But, I do admit if a dumb GM comes calling for a player and grossly overpays, it is prudent to trade him. 1-2 years is best for vets that hop teams a lot.

Unless we plan to use him to his strengths and loft passes to him etc, I fear he will not live up to his contract. I am fine that he misses 17% of games as we can try out other forwards. As someone pointed out, he is good to help kill Gudas's PIMs but again, PK is first and foremost, about the goaltender, and 2ndly the system, passive, aggressive etc.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
With as many teams has Hagelin has had, it almost points to be him being a journeyman. .

How many times has he been traded? The Ragners traded him as a pending UFA. He signed as a UFA in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh traded him as a pending UFA rental themselves. The Kings collapsed and missed the playoffs, so they traded him to the Caps who have kept him.

He has ever been traded except for a pending UFA on a struggling team.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Don't mind this at all. The dude is a puck hog and has wheels galore. Plus, I have a large folder of Spicoli gifs I need to reuse next season.

I think once he settles in with a line and develops some chemistry, it will start producing. Have to think being on 3 teams last year and being switched to different lines lowered his productivity.

Also, hard pass on Mojo. Although it would give us something to complain about on here once Burky is gone. haha

Looking back, Ovi scoring 50 and Spicoli gifs were the two highlights of the 2018/19 season.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
How many times has he been traded? The Ragners traded him as a pending UFA. He signed as a UFA in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh traded him as a pending UFA rental themselves. The Kings collapsed and missed the playoffs, so they traded him to the Caps who have kept him.

The Rangers never traded him. They just let him walk. He was traded by Anaheim half a season after signing his current four-year deal because it wasn't working out.

Sure, PIT traded him as a pending UFA but contenders don't tend to do that for no good reason. His offensive game fell off for them and so they rolled the dice on Pearson instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: RandyHolt

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Looking back, Ovi scoring 50 and Spicoli gifs were the two highlights of the 2018/19 season.

giphy.gif

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Thoughts on Hags.... I see a lot of people adding up goal totals and doing the math of losing Conno, losing Bura, hoping this guy or that guy bounces back, projecting Wilson's totals over 82 games, etc. IMO, its all short sighted. We won the division yet again despite taking an entire month off and losing what, 9 straight? The RS still means almost nothing, or did these playoffs mean nothing as well? We lost to Carolina, not because our roster wasn't built right, but because the roster we built wasn't all there and Holtby blew a tire in the last 45 minutes of game 7.

What matters most is being hard to play against in the playoffs. Building a roster that has the right type of players that do the things that matter in the playoffs. Nisky was no longer hard to play against. Average players discovered they could pump their turbo button and blow past him to the goal mouth. Gudas brings the sandpaper that we'll miss with Orpik's departure. Hags, despite not being a gifted scorer, is damn hard to play against. He forces teams to deal with what he does well, unlike say Bura who no one has ever game planned around for a split second. Our PK was trash until he showed up. He gobbles up those minutes which lets the other PKers stay fresher - remember that one game he had like 7 mins PK time and could barely get over the wall to the bench at the end. Without Beags and DSP being scratched/gone, we didn't have a lot of good/great PK forwards. Now we don't need much else there.

Bottom line, I think if this deal was at 2.50 people would be calling is great value, but somehow at 2.75 people see it closer to 3 and don't like the price. But I can't see anyone anywhere else in the league at 2.75 that will be as annoying to play against as Hags. We don't need him to score 20+. We need him to put constant pressure on the PK and the forecheck, and he does that very well.

I love what GMBM is doing here. Managing contracts that no longer have value and bringing in guys who are a PITA to play against.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Except this isn't true. The Rangers traded him as a RFA to Anaheim. He signed a four year contract with the Ducks. The Ducks traded him to Pittsburgh 43 games into that contract. The Ducks weren't struggling that year, either. They won their division and had won 7 of their past 10 games at the time of the trade.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->