Haglund's Deformity Due to Skating

keef

Dec 25, 2006
San Jose
I'm developing some pretty noticeable "pump bumps" (aka Haglund's Deformity) on both heels. I've been skating in Bauer 4000s for a few years now and they've always felt great. I didn't even notice the bumps until about 6-12 months ago. The bumps are not painful, but I think that I better switch boots before they get any bigger. Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice for new skates or inserts? I'm going to save my pennies for some nice skates, so cost isn't a big issue.

:help:

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
I'm not a skate expert and had never heard about Haglund's Deformity before reading your post. But after reading this article I'm not sure that new skates are the issue. I've suffered from plantar fascitis (sp) before and it seems like a similar condition -- foot tendons become inflamed, often because the tendon is tight and the foot is improperly cushioned. Foot doctor suggested:

1. Ibuprofin to reduce swelling
2. Icing the foot
3. Wearing shoes with better support/cushions (I bought inserts)
4. Try to run/walk on soft (not asphalt) surfaces
5. Stretching the tendons

If your job or non-skating activities are causing you to be on your feet a lot then they might be the thing that's bothering your feet.

Good luck.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
Supprised you didn't get more comments yet, this is a very common problem with not just hockey players, but anybody who skates.

Anyway, it's usually aquired through improperly fitted skates (most likely too large a size), or in my case, a defect in the skate. Mine used to inflame so badly that I almost gave up hockey. They eventually calmed down and now I just wear a little sock over my heels which have a very thin layer of silicone in them. As long as I get properly fitted skates and wear these socks I'm golden.

Tbone54

Jul 3, 2006
Lol, I have these bumps... but they have never been a problem at all ....

its kinda wierd like ohh ur deformed, (But i never knew) lol...

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

May 15, 2003
E-town
I'm pretty sure 8 of every 10 Canadian men have these. Or at least those who played hockey for any length of time. Everyone's got the heel bump.

weezman

Excellent thread. I had wondered what was happening to my heel. Question answered. :D

Happy Pony

Jan 17, 2006
Columbus
I have these too, I never noticed until I checked due to this thread..

I don't think this is necessarily a deformity.

CheeseSandwich*

yeah i have big ones on both heels. I got them from one season with some CCM skates that were a touch too big and had a really hard boot.

The doc's call them bone spurs.

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
13 years of hockey for me and I don't have this Haglund's condition.

I feel like a minority. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->