Proposal: Hagelin to MTL

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
So who’s the genius who uses points and +/- to evaluate shut down centers?
Why wouldn’t +\- be used? If he has a low + or is negative then he’s not doing his job of shutting down the other line is he? And I included points to show that we don’t need a guy like Pleks cause we have Sheahan doing the same thing.

Additionally, I wasn’t the one who brought up “shut down”. The pens aren’t looking for shut down they want 3 scoring lines. Pleks does not fit that bill in the slightest.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Why wouldn’t +\- be used? If he has a low + or is negative then he’s not doing his job of shutting down the other line is he? And I included points to show that we don’t need a guy like Pleks cause we have Sheahan doing the same thing.

Additionally, I wasn’t the one who brought up “shut down”. The pens aren’t looking for shut down they want 3 scoring lines. Pleks does not fit that bill in the slightest.

By all means think sheahan is as good a shut down center as Plekanec based on points and +/- :laugh:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Why? His speed wouldn't be bad for our team, and we have a lot of cap room, that unless we sign Tavares (which I doubt we will), isn't going to be spent any time soon.

4 million for a 20 point player? No thanks.
Taking his contract would give us zero chance to sign Tavares or any other big ufa.
And we won't even have a spot for him in the lineup next year when Scherbak and McCarron make the big club

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
By all means think sheahan is as good a shut down center as Plekanec based on points and +/- :laugh:
Can you read? I never said Sheahan was a shut down center. In fact, a few posts ago I said he sucks. The Penguins don’t have a shut down C, the Penguins don’t want a shut down C, the Penguins want 3 scoring lines. Pleks is not good enough to center a scoring line. And statistically, he’s no better than Sheahan.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Can you read? I never said Sheahan was a shut down center. In fact, a few posts ago I said he sucks. The Penguins don’t have a shut down C, the Penguins don’t want a shut down C, the Penguins want 3 scoring lines. Pleks is not good enough to center a scoring line. And statistically, he’s no better than Sheahan.

Then do your research. They do want a shut down C. Maybe you don’t.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
If the habs players actually had the value their fans say, they'd Be first in the league.

Plekanec's value is a 3rd. No way the pens do this. People overrate the hell out of hagelins contract.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
If the habs players actually had the value their fans say, they'd Be first in the league.

Plekanec's value is a 3rd. No way the pens do this. People overrate the hell out of hagelins contract.
Sorry. You obviously know everything so I should always differ to you for your opinion.

Reactions: Omar

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

What makes Hags' contract so bad is the fact that the Pens are tight against the cap and his play isn't bringing much to them so I'd think they are quite desperate to get rid of him. It's not untradeable bad but I think a bigger package than this is needed to move him.

John Matthews

Dec 4, 2017
On a computer
:pensacquires:
Tomas Plekanec (50% retained)

:habsacquires:
Carl Hagelin
2018 2nd
2019 3rd
Plekanec is slow and doesn't fit the Pens speed system. As much as TSN and HNIC wanna push Plek at 50% down our throats its doubtful to happen. 2 years ago he would have had more value, but again Bonino is better than Plek and showed it in the 2016 cup run.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I don't think we are going to need to ditch Hagelin for salary reasons to potentially obtain Pleks (or other such 3C candidate) for a 2nd round pick and something marginal prospect wise....

I sure don't think the Pens consider him negative value either, even if of course his scoring is disappointing these days and he is unarguably overpaid for that reason.
But few teams have zero overpaid players, and we can live with one or two.
He does other good things that matters to a good team where others can score. Fully expect him to be part of our bottom6 and PK come playoff time.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Plekanec is slow and doesn't fit the Pens speed system. As much as TSN and HNIC wanna push Plek at 50% down our throats its doubtful to happen. 2 years ago he would have had more value, but again Bonino is better than Plek and showed it in the 2016 cup run.

I think you're underrating Pleks, and few people really comprehend that he is basically playing 1st lines to a draw night in night out on a terrible Montreal team. Clearly he is not as dynamic as what he was, but the Pens don't need a star. They need a guy capable of just what Pleks is doing. And... it would not surprise me greatly if Pleks production would pick up playing with better players and facing less daunting matchups.

The whole speed thing is way overblown. We have enough speed. I'd take Pleks over Bozak any day of the week for instance, because while Bozak might give people filthy dreams of a speed combo with Kessel, it isn't what we need.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I think you're underrating Pleks, and few people really comprehend that he is basically playing 1st lines to a draw night in night out on a terrible Montreal team. Clearly he is not as dynamic as what he was, but the Pens don't need a star. They need a guy capable of just what Pleks is doing. And... it would not surprise me greatly if Pleks production would pick up playing with better players and facing less daunting matchups.

The whole speed thing is way overblown. We have enough speed. I'd take Pleks over Bozak any day of the week for instance, because while Bozak might give people filthy dreams of a speed combo with Kessel, it isn't what we need.

To me it would, he's useless in the offensive zone. He's been playing with good offensive players like Hudon and Gallagher most of the year and he's the one dragging down the production. His shutdown role capability is very much relevant though, I absolute admire his defensive play.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Montreal already has enough fast guys with no scoring touch. Don't need Hagelin for an extra year, and we don't need to take on a contract beyond this year to move Plekanec. If a team has an expensive cap dump that expires this year, Habs might consider that. Montreal can get at least the second for Tomas on his own.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Yeah Plekanec at $3 million isn't worth Hagelin+2018 2nd+2019 3rd round pick love how Hab fans way over-value their players.

Plekanec is a 35 year old #3C he has hardly any value if a Pens fan proposed that then i don't know what to say. Plekanec @ $3 million is maybe worth a 3rd rounder that's about it Hagelin and a 2nd on top is major overpayment.

Well... People often overvalue a player, but you clearly have a problem with Plekanec. Even we think about rebuilding, be sure that there isnt a chance in a world that a Plekanec at 3M$ could leave Montreal or another place for a pick outside the top 100.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad