Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel vs. Kennedy-Staal-Cooke

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
I don't know that I hated Ian Moran as much as I hated Tyler Kennedy. I still don't know how he ever made it to the NHL.

TK was a hell of a third liner for awhile. Loved his passion and effort. He put up decent numbers too.

Cooke - Staal - Kennedy is probably my favorite line of this era, even if it wasn't the best.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
TK was a hell of a third liner for awhile. Loved his passion and effort. He put up decent numbers too.

Cooke - Staal - Kennedy is probably my favorite line of this era, even if it wasn't the best.

I never questioned his passion or effort. Guy had a great motor on him. But so do literally thousands of other players across the globe. It was his head. No one could ever accuse him of being a smart player.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
The only really tough call for me on that is Staal. Pre-I'm-A-Top-6-Pivot Staal, that is. I don't miss TK's manbearpig face or his chest snipes or Cooke's 2-Minutes-For-Being-Matt-Cooke penalties.

The HeartBreaK line, mos def.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
This is a really unfair comparison. Staal was never their best center and neither of Cooke nor Kennedy was ever close to the best at their positions.

Meanwhile, Hagelin is unquestionably the team's best LW and Kessel is unquestionably the team's best RW. I keep saying this, because it's correct, but the Bonino line HAS to be dominant. It's getting the easiest matchups and it's stealing better players from Geno and Sid. If it's not producing, it shouldn't be a thing.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Tough to compare. Cap-wise HBK is incomparable to CSK in 2009, and thus has to be better. I also think it definitely is, while different.
It is much better offensively while necessitating that Sid's role is different also, as it cannot be devoted to shutting/slowing down opponents best.

For this team HBK is clearly preferable. For the 2009 team, sure, but it would not be possible to devote such resources to the third line.

Yeah. We're comparing a line that cost 5 or 6 million with one that costs 14. Assuming the money's not poorly spent (and its not), the second one's going to be more of a factor than the first.

A better question might be whether Cooke-Staal-Kennedy was more of a factor than Kunitz-Malkin-Fehr/Rust. I'd argue that it probably was. Now, that's another 5 or 6 million vs 14 situation, but in the case of the latter, $3.5 million for Kunitz is far from optimal spending.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

The Caps didn't just leave the Kessel line to wreck havoc against their depth.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Yeah. We're comparing a line that cost 5 or 6 million with one that costs 14. Assuming the money's not poorly spent (and its not), the second one's going to be more of a factor than the first.

A better question might be whether Cooke-Staal-Kennedy was more of a factor than Kunitz-Malkin-Fehr/Rust. I'd argue that it probably was. Now, that's another 5 or 6 million vs 14 situation, but in the case of the latter, $3.5 million for Kunitz is far from optimal spending.

Id rather run Cooke - Malkin - Kennedy than Kunitz - Malkin - Fehr.

And I mean 2016 Cooke and Kennedy

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Loved the Staal line and they had a big part of winning the cup but it is not even close. HBK line has been the teams top line ever since it has been formed. That line is #1 line and I hope the Crosby and Malkin lines can produce like they can and we have 3 #1 lines. The Cullen line is the true 3rd line type line.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Except HBK line is our second line and the CSK line was our third line.

HBK line is better when you compare in a vacuum, but the depth that Cooke Staal Kennedy provided is unmatchable.

Maybe if Kunitz Malkin Fehr can elevate their game to second line quality then that would be ideal but the CSK line was more important to our success in '09 IMO.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Huh. I'm not sure how this is even a question. Cooke was OK when not being suspended, Kennedy was about as overrated as a third liner gets, and Staal was Staal. Very strong in some areas but never panned out in others.

The line we have today is way more versatile, dynamic and skilled. They make **** happen on a regular basis.
And they're faster than even the legendary manbearpig chest-sniping wonder.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Malkin-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Bones-Kessel
TK-Staal-Cooke
Kuhn-Cullen-Rust

Imagine THAT forward roster? Nobody could compete, only way we lose in the playoffs is if the goalie ***** the bed or the players don't click. MM wont **** the bed, those lines all have/had chemistry so.....nobody will compete.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
There sis no comparison. HBK gets the nod EASILY. And it's not because tk/staal/cooke wasn't a great line, cause it clearly was. However in terms of skill and the sheer ability to take over a game id feel inclined to even compare this unit to most of the top lines in the league. People still falsely brand them as our 3rd line, whereas I see them aa being our 1st line.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Malkin-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Bones-Kessel
TK-Staal-Cooke
Kuhn-Cullen-Rust

Imagine THAT forward roster? Nobody could compete, only way we lose in the playoffs is if the goalie ***** the bed or the players don't click. MM wont **** the bed, those lines all have/had chemistry so.....nobody will compete.

Ive been pleading to see the two headed monster reunited on a full time basis al playoffs. Sullivan just won't go for it...

speedy

Mar 31, 2016
Aliquippa
62(8pts)- 13(10pts)-81(12pts) total 30 pts
43(5pts)- 87(10pts)- 72(8pts) total 23 pts
14(4pts)- 71(9pts)- 16(2pts) total 15 pts
34(5pts)- 7(5pts)- 17(3pts) total 13 pts

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
Well then KLS EASILY.

Haha, I wonder... I guess it all depends on how this playoff run goes from my perspective.

They aren't far off in terms of talent of composition. Speedy, shifty left wing, a balanced, astute center, and a one-man skills competition at right wing.

KLS had a few years together. If HBK gets the same, I think it will join them in the annals of "Penguins Really, Really, Really Good Lines" :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad