had Mario Played 20 years and the same number of games as 99

Status
Not open for further replies.

squaleca

Jan 3, 2017
lets put this to bed because people who make the claim that he would have challenged 99 records obviously have never heared of father time and of course theres the ones who claim that the would have shattered the records. When evryone knows no one is shattering 99's records ever.

so ppg i put Mario at 1.5 which would put him at 2230 well round it to 2300 give him the benefit of the doubt
gpg i put him at .610 which which would him put him at 910 which would make him 1st all time. However not putting him over the top if you consider who had the greatest goal scoring decade and that was clearly 99 avg 67 gpg as a oiler and of course 99 did miss some games in the 80's. and his .83 gpg avg which clearly declined in his last 7 years.

so no Mario would not have beaten waynes records had he played as long. I would say he wouldn't have beaten any of waynes records except possibly the all time goals mark.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don't think labeling him 1.5 due to injuries is really fair to Orr, who probably lost more prime years than Mario.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
We don't have a crystal ball. I don't give any creedence to the "If he played as many games he would have..." discussion, because it doesn't matter. He didn't play that many games, and its unfortunate, but in real life he just didn't. So even if you consider prime Lemeiux to be the better player than prime Gretzky, you still have to admit that Gretzky is the greatest because of longevity. The real discussion is between 2, 3 and 4 with Lemieux, Howe and Orr.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I watched both and I'd take Mario ever Wayne. Just my opinion. Mario played on lessor teams with lessor players in lower scoring eras. He was unstoppable physically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad