Golf: Hackers thread (2019 season)

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
We've got a few PGA fans on the board here, I figure some of whom must get out and play. I thought it would be good to have a thread devoted to talking about our golf exploits for the 2019 season. Depending on where you live you might have played all winter, be starting up soon or be under snow still. Talk about where you're currently at, goals for the year, equipment, etc.

I got out more last year than I every have after taking some Golftec lessons last winter. I grew up messing around at pitch 'n putt courses and driving ranges but never really played for real.

Current handicap: ~15
Rounds played per year: 15-20 (hoping more like 3o this year)
Best score in 2018: 82 (2x)
Worst score in 2018: 97
Goals for 2019: Break 80, improve handicap, improve atrocious putting

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm around an 8, but its definitely dropped in the last few years. During a year, I'll usually play around 25 rounds per year, but I'm trying to get that number higher, and eventually drop my handicap to a 5 or 6. Its been that low before, but I haven't played enough golf in recent years to do so. My best round of 2018 was a 74. My worst was a 91. I'd like to play more golf in 2019.

BluesOne31

We going insane
Dec 31, 2011
I would say I'm probably around a 5 or 6 but don't play enough to have an official handicap these days. Probably only play 5ish times a year not counting any scramble events. The public courses here that are worth the $$ of play are few and far between here.

I do have a trip planned to Hawaii in May and we are playing Ko Olina Golf Club (LPGA there end of April), Turtle Bay and Royal Hawaiian which should be cool.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I play to about a 7, though wildly erratic. If I could ever figure out how to get off the tee straight I would play to a 2-3 I think. My irons and short game are very solid but I lose so many strokes off the tee.

Best round last year was a 69 (though from the white tees in a men's league), worst was 87. Best round of my life was also a 69 but it was from the back tees at what was my home course at the time, three putted the last hole as well haha.

I always want to play more golf but with a full-time job, dog, girlfriend, etc. it's hard to find time. Signing up for a men's league last year was the smartest thing I've done in a while because it's a guaranteed round once a week.

Have a golf trip planned out for June to Breezy Point in Brainerd, MN. Cheap trip where you can get all inclusive golf, food and booze for about a thousand bucks Canadian. We also play Deacon's Lodge, an Arnold Palmer course that is quite nice.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
currently play at a 7 or 8

best round 2018: 74
worst round 2018: 88
rounds played: ~25

Overall the big hole in my game is putting. I have good power off the tee with the driver and with my irons. Lets me hit a lot of 3 irons off the tee leave myself 8 irons into the greens. My best clubs are the 4, 7 and 8. I usually can get a bunch of GIR per round.

Putting kills me all the time. My stroke is not smooth or consistent at all. Anything 5 ft + is a coin flip at best. I'm good for 2-4 3 putts per round. I joke my signature move is putt for birdie, walk off with a bogey.

I also need to improve my accuracy on longer wedge shots (100-120). For whatever reason I swing a touch too hard and like to yank through and push them right (Im a lefty). Towards the end of last season I started clubbing up and that seems to be helping

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
^ if you're a lefty and hit it right that's a pull not a push.

It's funny that everyone(except the OP) is "around" a 5 or 6 or a 6 or 7 or a 7 or 8. Usually a single digit knows EXACTLY what their current handicap is. Sounds like a bunch of vanity handicaps:laugh:

Aho and the Bunnaman

May 5, 2015
Handicap: too damn high

Goal: Play more!

Living in downtown Toronto, I find it's too much of a hassle to get out and play a round...I end up playing sporadically when I visit family in Niagara.

What do you guys hit? I play 990Bs with a PT 15 fairway wood and a 983K...I think I need to invest in new, more forgiving clubs....

Jan 3, 2012
A bunch of ringers in here.

My handicap is probably ~36. I've never put serious time or money into my game, so it's garbage all around. Doesn't help that due to physical health issues I can't get more than ~130ish off the tee with a driver at most. Having no distance kills your ability to play most holes.

Once I'm out of school and have time and money I'll invest in building a better swing.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
I play at a 10. Goal for the coming season is to finally hit single digits, going to need to improve my iron game in order to do so though. Hopefully the courses will start to open up again in the beginning of April, can't wait!

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
Current Handicap: CDGA Index 11.4
Gambling Handicap: 15;)
HF Handicap: Around a 7 or 8:sarcasm:
Rounds Posted Last Year: 37
Best Score in '18: 78
Highest Score: 95
Goal for 2019: My 1st Hole in One

I work at a club part-time so I play for free. I posted 37 scores but I play on average 4 days a week but not a full 18 every time. Some days I just bounce around to find open holes, sometimes the same hole 2-3 times and sometimes 2-3 balls. No Waiting!:nod:

BluesOne31

We going insane
Dec 31, 2011
Current Handicap: CDGA Index 11.4
Gambling Handicap: 15;)
HF Handicap: Around a 7 or 8:sarcasm:
Rounds Posted Last Year: 37
Best Score in '18: 78
Highest Score: 95
Goal for 2019: My 1st Hole in One

I work at a club part-time so I play for free. I posted 37 scores but I play on average 4 days a week but not a full 18 every time. Some days I just bounce around to find open holes, sometimes the same hole 2-3 times and sometimes 2-3 balls. No Waiting!:nod:

Not all of us work at a club and have an official handicap to post an exact score...

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
Handicap: too damn high

Goal: Play more!

Living in downtown Toronto, I find it's too much of a hassle to get out and play a round...I end up playing sporadically when I visit family in Niagara.

What do you guys hit? I play 990Bs with a PT 15 fairway wood and a 983K...I think I need to invest in new, more forgiving clubs....

I have 2 similar(and old) sets, one I leave in a locker at the club the other at home.

Home:
Cleveland Launcher driver
Callaway X 3 wood 15
Callaway X hybrid 19
Hogan Apex Plus 4-W
Mizuno wedges 50, 56, 60
Odyssey White Hot putter

Club:
same Cleveland driver with a different shaft
Cleveland Quad Pro 3 and 5 woods 15, 19
Cleveland Mashie 23
same Hogan irons but 5-GW
Titleist 58 wedge
Ping Piper H putter

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
RBZ stage 2 Driver 10.5
R11 3 wood
RBZ stage 2 5 wood
3i - AW Taylormade SLDR irons w/ KBS Tour stuff steel shafts
Cleveland CG14 SW
Odyssey Sabertooth Versa putter

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
Thanks, got it last year and love it so far.

I'm weird in that I like the feel of a blade, but need the weight of a mallet to take my hands out of it.

Was looking for a compromise and so far so good with it.

Looking for a compromise? I've got an old one for cheap;)
1004627-aab.jpg

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
It's funny that everyone(except the OP) is "around" a 5 or 6 or a 6 or 7 or a 7 or 8. Usually a single digit knows EXACTLY what their current handicap is. Sounds like a bunch of vanity handicaps:laugh:
Meh, I was a 6 when I regularly was putting scores into a system. I've gotten worse since then though, I just never enter scores, I generally don't care what my handicap sits at. I started keeping track again this year for my men's league and I was playing to a 7 after shooting 69, started at a 10 based off a guess and moved down from there.

I'm horribly inconsistent though. Golf is hard, especially if you're not playing regularly.

My clubs:

Callaway Epic Driver, 9 degree.
Titleist 918 (I believe) 3 wood.
Titleist 3 hybrid (can't remember which year)
Titleist AP2 4-PW (probably 7 or 8 years old now)
Titleist Vokey's 50, 54, 60
Scotty Cameron putter.

Reactions: plank

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
Got a couple rounds in while the weather was nice. Drives that carry 250 in the summer are going 225 and plugging. No touch around the greens and didn't make a putt over 10 feet. Might be the last round for a week or so as the forecast in the midwest looks like shit for the next 7-10 days:mad:

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Got a couple rounds in while the weather was nice. Drives that carry 250 in the summer are going 225 and plugging. No touch around the greens and didn't make a putt over 10 feet. Might be the last round for a week or so as the forecast in the midwest looks like **** for the next 7-10 days:mad:

Sounds like my first round of the year a couple weeks ago. Made no putts beyond 8 or 10 feet and lost 4 balls. I shot an 88 with a quad bogey on the 17th. Haha My lone birdie came on the 18th so at least there was that.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
My handicap? Too high to calculate. I'm good for about four ob... 2 unplayable, three 3putts... maybe one 4 putt, 1 or 2 water dinks, two complete miss hits. It's sad. BUT I can hammer my drive. 300 no problem. Straight is another issue. 150yd 9 iron... consistent.

My best hit... at the driving range. All spots were taken (Diversey Chicago) except one. Its a huge range. Anyways my spot in directly in line with the 50 yd marker. This thing us huge. Numbers alone are 6 ft high with numbers 5 and 0 next to each other. Anyways I start out cranking out low screemers. My fifth hits the 5. CRAAKKK. The sound could be heard all across range. The ball sticks on the 5 and bends this monster back. The whole sign bends back about a foot, then comes foward. All in slow mo. When it finishes foward movement, the ball rockets off the sign and shoots across the ground... all 50 yards and finishes at my mat. People in front and in back freaked. I did too. The guy in front quipped I didnt need to get a full bucket. Lmao.

Last edited:

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
5 handicap

TaylorMade M3 9.5°
Callaway Steelhead+ 3wood
GAPR mid hybrid 18°
Titleist AP3 4i-gap wedge
56° and 60° Cleveland wedges
Scotty Cameron Futura 6m putter