Hacker attack (help please)

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
My anti-virus software just stopped a hacker threat on my computer.

A couple of months ago I reset my computer and re-installed windows, because my anti-virus program would stop trojans too often for my liking.

But this is something I have never experienced before. My anti-virus software warned me about an actual IP-adress trying to get inside my computer. I used a simple website to track it and it traced the IP to the Netherlands.

I few questions, since I'm not all that good with this stuff:

1) Will pulling the internet cable out of the computer simply stop the hacker from being able to attack?

2) can hackers still find passwords, bank numbers etc, even if I clean all cookies on the computer?

3) I'm currently reseting my computer again. Is this unnessecary? I assume my IP stays the same so the same hacker could still try to hack me?

4) can I get a new IP-adress easily?

I don't think I'm ever logging onto my bank account again using my own computer.

How usual is it for people to experience hacker attacks directly from other IP-adresses rather than viruses/trojans? This makes me sick to my stomach... Please help!

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
My anti-virus software just stopped a hacker threat on my computer.

A couple of months ago I reset my computer and re-installed windows, because my anti-virus program would stop trojans too often for my liking.

But this is something I have never experienced before. My anti-virus software warned me about an actual IP-adress trying to get inside my computer. I used a simple website to track it and it traced the IP to the Netherlands.

I few questions, since I'm not all that good with this stuff:

1) Will pulling the internet cable out of the computer simply stop the hacker from being able to attack? It would stop them from further progress but they still may have personal info already

2) can hackers still find passwords, bank numbers etc, even if I clean all cookies on the computer? yes

3) I'm currently reseting my computer again. Is this unnessecary? I assume my IP stays the same so the same hacker could still try to hack me? IP stays the same

4) can I get a new IP-adress easily? yes, contact your IP provider

I don't think I'm ever logging onto my bank account again using my own computer.

How usual is it for people to experience hacker attacks directly from other IP-adresses rather than viruses/trojans? This makes me sick to my stomach... Please help!
You may want to ask this in the Geek Emporium for better answers.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
My brother once got a virus on his laptop that was a fake blue screen that had a link that requested he install a software to fix it, which was likely a worse form of the virus

It was pretty hilarious

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Is your pc plugged in?

Not to the internet. It's currently re-installing windows 10.

Anyways looks like im not the first. The hackers IP (185.56.82.82) has been reported 31 times on abuseipdb.com. First time in april this year... User comments all mention hacker attempts.

It has been reported on other sites as well the last couple of months.

Last edited:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I dont know **** about this sort of thing (or anything in general), but my advice would be to restore your pc to factory settings, reset your ip, change the mac address on your router and google search what else you can do.

this is a small board, try asking on a larger pc centric forum

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
Resetting the PC back to factory does do the trick but you'll lose all your information saved on the computer. If it's a windows 10 device it's pretty easy to do. hold shift while clicking restart then it should be under more options, reset this pc and then choose the one that's NOT the recycle one.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Do you have the exact IP address? Block that in your firewall. Incoming and outgoing. You'll have to create the rule for both incoming and outgoing. Let me know if you need help with that or try a google search for adding rules to windows firewall.

cmd prompt -> "ipconfig /release" -> "ipconfig /renew", hopefully that gives you a new IP and not just reassigned the same one. "ipconfig /flushdns" while you are in cmd prompt. If it doesn't give you a new IP, do you have access to your router? You may be able to either change your range of IP's available or you can change your specific one.

Run these:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

https://www.vipreantivirus.com/support.aspx

Scroll down to Vipre Rescue. Download and follow instructions. Will take a few hours to run but its the best out there.

Last edited:

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
What kind of anti-virus software are you using?

If you're getting viruses fairly often, you need to reconsider your anti-virus software and your browsing habits. Don't download from sites you don't know/trust.

Sigh

At half mast
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
www.galenwestonjr.ca
It's probably just some kiddie with a scanner. If it happens again, post the logs from whatever software you're using.

If you're getting viruses fairly often, you need to reconsider your anti-virus software and your browsing habits. Don't download from sites you don't know/trust.

And listen to this guy.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum

Yes. Malware Bytes (it is free) first, followed up by pc cillin 'house call' (again free) and update or upgrade your anti-virus software and stop visiting sketchy sites :0. Worst case re-install Windows but that should clean it up.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I'm kind of surprised, I didn't think viruses were still a thing... I haven't had one in many years.

Download Antimalware bytes, scan, and stop downloading illegal stuff.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I'm kind of surprised, I didn't think viruses were still a thing... I haven't had one in many years.

Download Antimalware bytes, scan, and stop downloading illegal stuff.

There's many layers now.

Your anti virus

Your browser now blocks harmful sites constantly. Firefox and Chrome sometimes block really popular sites if they detect harmful advertising.

And finall speaking ads, adblockers have really helped protect people from malware

So it is much harder nowadays to get infected for sure

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
I dont know **** about this sort of thing (or anything in general), but my advice would be to restore your pc to factory settings, reset your ip, change the mac address on your router and google search what else you can do.

this is a small board, try asking on a larger pc centric forum

Changing the MAC address on the router doesn't accomplish anything

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->