Trade: Hackenberg to the Raiders (cut and signed by Eagles)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Low risk trade since the pick is conditional, likely meaning that he has to make the 53 man roster behind Carr and cook, who was drafted in the same year. Unless the backup is too green or they have a young qb they are high on, teams will keep their 3rd QB on the practice roster which means he could be claimed by another team.

Gruden needs to use the pre season to get Carr up to speed and get cook into position to play if required. So, not sure what hacks chances if making the roster really are.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
They have a good development project in Cook (Who I believe has #1 upside)

Hackenberg sucks and sucked in college. Still the Jets should have played him at some point given investment in him

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hackenberg has always sucked even in college. He’ll be a camp arm. Teams rarely carry a veteran QB3.
Is he really a vet though? I wouldn’t expect the raiders to keep him on the 53 man roster. You can do that with cook as a 2nd year man, but now into year 3, if you can’t trust him to cover for Carr for 2-3 games, you are toast.

At best I think hack might get placed on the practice roster.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Is he really a vet though? I wouldn’t expect the raiders to keep him on the 53 man roster. You can do that with cook as a 2nd year man, but now into year 3, if you can’t trust him to cover for Carr for 2-3 games, you are toast.

At best I think hack might get placed on the practice roster.
Don't think he's eligible for the practice squad anymore

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Wonder if he wins the starting job would the a Raiders consider trading Carr.

Only way that could possibly happen is if Derek Carr and David Carr switched bodies "Freaky Friday/Vice Versa/Like Father Like Son" Style

Even then David would likely still win job with Cook backing him up

Hackenberg is camp arm who will be looking to do enough in preseason to maybe catch a teams eye

I don't see it happening for him and expect he will be out of NFL soon enough

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Carr needs to bounce back under Gruden. Gruden loves Carr which was made evident before the draft when Gruden ran his ESPN show/academy and wondering why no one sees you as the first overall pick.
And Gruden was right.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
You can't fix accuracy and ball placement.

No, but you can fix decision making and sometimes pocket comfort, among other things. Learning how to play a position well at the highest level isn't a can't or can on day one thing. It's an on-going process. Some players are allowed to start through their rough patches, some need some time away to visually take in how to do it properly. Quarterback is no exception.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Quarterbacks can definitely develop and improve. You can't make them more accurate, but you can improve things like technique and strength which will improve the accuracy. Decision-making will sometimes get better over time, sometimes not - depends on the QB.

My issue with "developmental QBs" is the idea that you you use an asset on them and then put these guys behind established starters for a few years with the thought they will develop into a starter. Generally, guys need to play to develop properly. Davis Webb has a much better chance of being a good NFL QB if Eli Manning is hurt this year and Webb plays 8 games than he does if he stays on the bench for the next 2 years.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
You can't fix accuracy and ball placement.
You can, but the odds of someone suddenly seeing the light and becoming accurate after playing QB for 15 years should never be expected or counted on. Agreed that Cook sucks, I couldn't believe he got drafted in the first place.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This thread was way longer than it needed to be considering the caliber of assets involved. Hackenburg is awful, even the Raiders knew it they were just naturally the least convinced of it out of anybody, but only marginally so

member 157595

Definitely in the running for the greatest 2nd round pick in NFL history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->