Pre-Game Talk: #HabsHawks (09/12/2018 ; 18:00 PM ; SN, SN1, NHLN-US, NBCSCH, RDS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I cannot answer that. A high pick ? One of our actual top-9 ? Poehling ? Brook ?
So you'd trade Brook or Poehling for keih (35 year old about to retire in the next 3 years) and getting rid of Alzner's contract? Until we actually need the cap space (i.e. have proven to potential free agents that will want to come here at a reasonable price that we can be competitive) I'm in no rush to get the cap space back - and especially wouldn't give up one of our 3 most promising prospects to do so. I also wouldn't give up a 1st. I'd have to think about giving up a 2nd but I don't think I would.

Pretty sure I would do it if Armia was the plus. Probably Hudon as well. But impossible to think Chicago would. They could get much more for Keith from a contender trying to win now and willing to sacrifice the future. We're in no position to sacrifice the future.

Last edited:

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
It would probably take two prospects and a pick, but no harm in inquiring, after all MB has an inside track being a former employee.
I’ve been thinking about making a proposal on their board for fun, and after some reflection, I think you are right about his value. How about:

2019 1st + Suzki + Poehling ?

2019 1st will be lowered by having Toews

Suzuki was a freebie if we consider that Tatar + a 2nd is still better than Pacioretty for us.

Poehling MIGHT be a 2nd line center in this league one day but LIKELY a 3rd line center.

Tatar-Toews-Gally
Drouin-Domi-Shaw
Byron-Kotka-Lehky
Dags-Danault-Armia

?????-Weber
?????-Petry
Kulak-Juulsen

Price

That offense is Stanley Cup worthy as of this year. Can Reilly step up and fill one of those 2 LD spots? Can we trade Brook and Mete++ for Weber’s stud LD partner?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I’ve been thinking about making a proposal on their board for fun, and after some reflection, I think you are right about his value. How about:

Suzuki was a freebie if we consider that Tatar + a 2nd is still better than Pacioretty for us.

Poehling MIGHT be a 2nd line center in this league one day but LIKELY a 3rd line center.

Tatar-Toews-Gally
Drouin-Domi-Shaw
Byron-Kotka-Lehky
Dags-Danault-Armia

?????-Weber
?????-Petry
Kulak-Juulsen

Price

That offense is Stanley Cup worthy as of this year. Can Reilly step up and fill one of those 2 LD spots? Can we trade Brook and Mete++ for Weber’s stud LD partner?

I wouldn't trade Suzuki straight up for Toews. Look at the draft class of 2003 and how in decline they are. The class of 2006 will soon be the same. We're trading Suzuki's 15 year career for the last 3 good years of Toew's and we're not all of a sudden contenders with him.

I don't like the idea of going all in on old guys.

Poehling I would have to think about. Really it depends on Timmins read. If he's a 3c that will hit 40 points max, yes. If he's a Mikko Koivu type C, no. If he's a Lars Eller, yes. I would have traded Poehling + a roster player for Domi instead of Galchenyuk because Galchenyuk's 24, again if Timmins projects Poehling to be a 40 point 3c, like Lars Eller.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Is it really his effort level or that he's playing his proper position - with a centerman that's playing really well? Or that, as a more experience player, he's starting figure things out that he previously hadn't.

But playing with two guys that will go through a wall does seem to be rubbing off on him.

It's a mix of both. His linemates do help out. But credit should also go to Drouin for figuring it out.

After the Galchenyuk/Domi trade, some media reached out to Shane Doan to get some insight on Domi. Doan had said that most NHL players need about 300 NHL games before they really figure it out. Both Drouin and Domi will hit 300 games played this season barring any unfortunate injuries.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Just watching the Rimouski Oceanic's Alex Lafreniere, goal & two primary assists in the 3rd to take 3- 2 lead. Habs 1st round pick next season perhaps. :vhappy:HABS should trade our 1st & 2nd's in 2019 for picks in 2020 to increase their odds at getting Lafreniere IMHO. While I love the idea of getting Johnathan Toews, drafting Lafreniere would:vhappy: have Montreal fans ecstatic, especially with Drouin, Domi, Kotkaneimi, Poehling & Suzuki all developing quite nicely thank you very much!!!...:vhappy:

Last edited:
Reactions: Cobra Commander

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I try to post objectively, but virtually all of us have certain biases whether we realize it or not. Fandom gets in the way, sometimes.

That specific post was intended to be neutral, actually.

Never said you were wrong haha

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital

Tatar-Toews-Gally
Drouin-Domi-Shaw
Byron-Kotka-Lehky
Dags-Danault-Armia

?????-Weber
?????-Petry
Kulak-Juulsen

Price

ahahahha is this a joke

Reactions: jayhabsvgk

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
No Habs game on Saturday night, we need some diversion. Hey what happened to Runner77? Did the new rules scare him away?

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
So you'd trade Brook or Poehling for keih (35 year old about to retire in the next 3 years) and getting rid of Alzner's contract? Until we actually need the cap space (i.e. have proven to potential free agents that will want to come here at a reasonable price that we can be competitive) I'm in no rush to get the cap space back - and especially wouldn't give up one of our 3 most promising prospects to do so. I also wouldn't give up a 1st. I'd have to think about giving up a 2nd but I don't think I would.

Pretty sure I would do it if Armia was the plus. Probably Hudon as well. But impossible to think Chicago would. They could get much more for Keith from a contender trying to win now and willing to sacrifice the future. We're in no position to sacrifice the future.

Not for a fizzing player on the decline who is ripe to hang up his skates pronto.

I'm not against giving young players at a position where we are dealing from strength for young players at a position where we lack in strength; i.e., Lehkonen for a young, puck-moving LHD, or Lehkonen and a pick (not a 1st rounder), depending on the quality of the young LHD.

But, young, talented players for once dominant dinosaurs that are on the decline, I probably wouldn't do it even if I was a Cup contender.

It would have to be, at worst, a Dallas type deal for Nieuwendyk, where the veteran still had 7 years of impact on that team, beyond helping them win a Cup (which you can never be certain you will win).

Reactions: 26Mats

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
what is with all this crazy talk about even trying to trade for Towes ... we are JUST starting to get decent QUALITY depth have 20 years and some of you want to trade that for a player making $10 million an on the downside of his career in a year or two.
My god its like having all the Habs GMs over the last 20 years have joined the HFboard!!!!

We are not cup contenders.....yet!!!

Reactions: Tyson

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
what is with all this crazy talk about even trying to trade for Towes ... we are JUST starting to get decent QUALITY depth have 20 years and some of you want to trade that for a player making $10 million an on the downside of his career in a year or two.
My god its like having all the Habs GMs over the last 20 years have joined the HFboard!!!!

We are not cup contenders.....yet!!!
We ARE cup contenders with him and a LD for Weber.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
No Habs game on Saturday night, we need some diversion. Hey what happened to Runner77? Did the new rules scare him away?

I wouldn't say it scared him away but it did play a huge part in him not posting on this board anymore. We were both participating in the mainboard GDT during Thursday's Habs/Sens game instead of the GDT here so he's still around HF just not on this board.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Habs have 9.3 million in cap space....you can get two pretty good players for that type of money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad