Habs you recognized just by puck control

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
Hi everyone!

I know we're in the playoffs, on the verge of elimination (though I still hope we win 15 in a row, pretty realistic IMO :sarcasm:), but I thought we could use some rest to talk about something else.

Everytime I see Galchenyuk, I'm just amazed by the way he controls the puck when it's on his stick, and it seems to me like even if I didn't see his jersey number and his name, I could just recognize him purely by the way he controls the puck.

Are there any other players that come to mind, whether on the team right now or in the years past, that you were just able to know who the guy was only by the way he controlled the puck?

To me, Alex Kovalev is another one (duh...). The way he held his stick, the way he deked, it seemed to me like I knew it was him just by seeing him, and not necessarily by having to see on his jersey who the player was.

Do you guys have any other players like that?

Have a good day everyone, let's win this tonight, and go habs go!

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Hi everyone!

I know we're in the playoffs, on the verge of elimination (though I still hope we win 15 in a row, pretty realistic IMO :sarcasm:), but I thought we could use some rest to talk about something else.

Everytime I see Galchenyuk, I'm just amazed by the way he controls the puck when it's on his stick, and it seems to me like even if I didn't see his jersey number and his name, I could just recognize him purely by the way he controls the puck.

Are there any other players that come to mind, whether on the team right now or in the years past, that you were just able to know who the guy was only by the way he controlled the puck?

To me, Alex Kovalev is another one (duh...). The way he held his stick, the way he deked, it seemed to me like I knew it was him just by seeing him, and not necessarily by having to see on his jersey who the player was.

Do you guys have any other players like that?

Have a good day everyone, let's win this tonight, and go habs go!

Hal Gill. You always knew when he had it on his stick.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
I can go as far as recognizing players just by their stride. After watching these guys on a bi-nightly basis for months, you start to pick up on tendencies.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
PK, but it's not because of the black-ness. The way he skates with the puck is the most distinctive in the league (to me). Extremely powerful but smooth, I love watching him skate the puck up the ice. :yo:

Also, the Galchenyuk wide-stance when he's about to dangledeke is pretty distinctive. Reminds me of Malkin. This is a good thing. :D

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
All of them. Instantly. They could all have no numbers too me.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Sergei Samsonov had a very unique way of skating/handling the puck some years ago.

Right now, on the Habs, I'd say that:

Galchenyuk
Subban

are the two guys who are the easiest to identify.

Millpool

Jul 12, 2012
Carey. I never need to see his number. Just something about the way he looks out there, I instantly know it's him when he gets the puck.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Koivu, he had this weird way of getting into the zone
Kovalev, obvious

and lately
Subban, pretty obvious too
Galchenyuk, he's got those Ovechkin-esque burst of acceleration

Clumsyhab

Feb 22, 2004
Montreal
Too obvious to recognize all of them. They don't even have to put their names/number on the back and I think most of us would recognize them (stride, size, left/right handed). I'm always a little surprised when Pierre Houde make a mistake with a Habs player when one is right-handed and another one who is left-handed.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
Too obvious to recognize all of them. They don't even have to put their names/number on the back and I think most of us would recognize them (stride, size, left/right handed). I'm always a little surprised when Pierre Houde make a mistake with a Habs player when one is right-handed and another one who is left-handed.

Yeah many of them are instantly recognizable with their skating, height, puck handling ect. Recently Houde mistook Bourque for Galchenyuk, I was baffled since they are so different.

Galchenyuk is such a slight puck handler, its like it attaches itself to his stick. Subban is similar in that regard and even more distinctive because of his very up tempo skating. He looks hyperactive wereas Galchenyuk is more fluid.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
All of them. I recognize Patch pretty easily cause he holds the puck further from his skates than anyone on the team.

bl4ckwolf

Apr 16, 2013
For me it's Gomez (i know he isn't a hab anymore...)

In PP when a D left the puck at the blue line and he flew like speedy gonzales, i already knew it was him :)

I can also notice a lot of player just by their skating like a lot of us here :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->