Habs @World Hockey Championship

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
In a re-draft, Galchenyuk and Forsberg would be 1st and 2nd overall.

I also believe Galchenyuk will only get better. You already saw the difference Julien has made from December and on. Galchenyuk looked a lot more like the Galchenyuk from before his knee injury plus the added defensive improvement. He's on the right path and I sincerely hope Habs don't deal him now that his value has surely gone up from a year ago. However, it's not always who you give up but what you get in return.
iv
still feel Galchenyuk is a bit wasted on the wing and would thrive at center when Bergevin is fired. For now it will be interesting to see who the centers will be next year.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
The Swiss have patterned their hockey program after Canada, I believe that Finland has done this also.

I've noticed this as well, Finland and the Swiss both have modeled their programs to include both size, speed and skill. The forecheck and defensive structure of both teams were very strong and Canada simply didn't know how to counter it.

Reactions: OldCraig71

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Canada's goaltending and defense didn't help them but their offensive strategies didn't either. None of the lines seemed to click and there seemed to be no offensive system. Our forwards looked like a pickup road hockey team who just got put together. The last powerplay for instance had no set players asides from passing it to the low man near the net who would then proceed to cut in front of the net for a shot.

All that forward talent and yet Canada couldn't get consistent offense from their forwards when they needed it.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Can both new coaching additions revitalise both of these players or are they both as good as gone?

I still have hope for DLR. After Pleks got traded and DLR was given the 3rd center role his game picked up across the board compared to where it was before. He was finally using his size to create offensive chances and was more aggressive. I think DLR will thrive under Julien as he is the type of player he likes. I see DLR being able to meet his ceiling as a solid 3C/good 4C.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Canada's goaltending and defense didn't help them but their offensive strategies didn't either. None of the lines seemed to click and there seemed to be no offensive system. Our forwards looked like a pickup road hockey team who just got put together. The last powerplay for instance had no set players asides from passing it to the low man near the net who would then proceed to cut in front of the net for a shot.

All that forward talent and yet Canada couldn't get consistent offense from their forwards when they needed it.

That should be worrying for the Flames given the coach.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I still have hope for DLR. After Pleks got traded and DLR was given the 3rd center role his game picked up across the board compared to where it was before. He was finally using his size to create offensive chances and was more aggressive. I think DLR will thrive under Julien as he is the type of player he likes. I see DLR being able to meet his ceiling as a solid 3C/good 4C.
I don't think much changed in DLR's game from when he was in and out of the lineup vs after Plekanec was traded...

Biggest difference is he actually got an opportunity to play an expanded role and he ran with it.

I'm hoping this opportunity is extended this year, he needs the minutes, it would be ridiculous to bring back Plekanec and stunt this progress at this point.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
Lidström when asked who impressed him, singled out DLR and talked how good he was, particularly on the PK and around the net and how he sacrifices himself and it's not glamorous but incredibly important and how he sacrifices his body to block shots.

Reactions: montreal

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Glad to see DLR still got to play even after the addition of Forsberg and Arvidsson. (I know they're not centers).

I was always a fan of the pick. I did feel like he was wasting away at some point. But in 2017, towards the end of the season and the lone playoff series in years for the farm team, DLR had found an offensive touch. It gave me hope. This past year, he was again in and out of the line-up and not doing much. However, right after Plekanec's trade, he really started coming into his own. I have hope for him again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->