Habs @World Hockey Championship

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I remember DLR and McCarron from their junior days and I honestly felt a sense of optimism for both but once they were in the hands of Sly they both seemed to lose their collective wills to live.:laugh:

I feel the same way. Since he was drafted, McCarron kept progressing. This past year, I felt he stagnated. DLR also didn't seem like he was headed for much. However, two seasons ago in St. John's, he ended the year very well and in the extremely rare playoff appearance the Habs affiliate had in 2017, DLR, Hudon, and Scherbak were the only guys doing something. So that gave me some renewed hope.

But between McCarron and DLR, we know offensively, we will never be blessed by them. But despite that, DLR was still able to skate, use his body effectively on the forecheck, and was responsible defensively. The only thing McCarron has over DLR is he drops the gloves, and he's not particularly good at it. Everything else goes DLR's way.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I feel the same way. Since he was drafted, McCarron kept progressing. This past year, I felt he stagnated. DLR also didn't seem like he was headed for much. However, two seasons ago in St. John's, he ended the year very well and in the extremely rare playoff appearance the Habs affiliate had in 2017, DLR, Hudon, and Scherbak were the only guys doing something. So that gave me some renewed hope.

But between McCarron and DLR, we know offensively, we will never be blessed by them. But despite that, DLR was still able to skate, use his body effectively on the forecheck, and was responsible defensively. The only thing McCarron has over DLR is he drops the gloves, and he's not particularly good at it. Everything else goes DLR's way.
Can both new coaching additions revitalise both of these players or are they both as good as gone?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Can both new coaching additions revitalise both of these players or are they both as good as gone?

I think DLR will benefit more only because I think he has more tools to work with. However, I think they can all help McCarron. I just don't know how much McCarron has it in him to be more versatile.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I think DLR will benefit more only because I think he has more tools to work with. However, I think they can all help McCarron. I just don't know how much McCarron has it in him to be more versatile.
If Mike McCarron was a better skater he could have a long NHL career but unfortunately he is not. The NHL is a speed game right now and he might just be a wasted pick.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If Mike McCarron was a better skater he could have a long NHL career but unfortunately he is not. The NHL is a speed game right now and he might just be a wasted pick.

I agree. I have liked every 1st round pick under MB's tenure (Galchenyuk, Scherbak, Juulsen, Sergachev, and Poehling). The only one I think they miffed on is McCarron. In hindsight, they should have picked Theodore, who went just after McCarron.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Wtf! Canada lost? Now I am getting nervous, I'd rather we weren't favorites which we will be now given that we beat them already and that we should beat them. Usually that is a bad recipe for Sweden, we are better if we are not the favorites. I am sure this must be Switzerland's first WC final.

Reactions: groovejuice

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Worst goalies I have ever seen on a Canada roster. Not today perhaps since the D were at fault but as Sandviper posted previously, the quality or lack thereof of the goaltending was worrying to him.

Here's short recap.

The Swiss have patterned their hockey program after Canada, I believe that Finland has done this also.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
The Swiss have patterned their hockey program after Canada, I believe that Finland has done this also.

Switzerland has a decent team but they would probably lose 9 out of 10 against this Canadian team but Canada has had some problems with them in the last WCs.

Reactions: OldCraig71

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
You got it wrong bro. Anything positive that will happen to our kids will be because of drafting improvement. Even if those were drafted when our drafting was bad and anyway we did not change anything to our drafting team. Don't forget there's no such thing as development and Lefebvre/MT were awesome. It's all on the players.
Of course , how can i be so mistaken, Afterall such insightful article only prove that i am an idiot!!!

https://www.rds.ca/hockey/rocket/le-depart-des-trop-bons-gars-1.6094242

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Wtf! Canada lost? Now I am getting nervous, I'd rather we weren't favorites which we will be now given that we beat them already and that we should beat them. Usually that is a bad recipe for Sweden, we are better if we are not the favorites. I am sure this must be Switzerland's first WC final.
Second. They lost to Sweden in 2013.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Switzerland has a decent team but they would probably lose 9 out of 10 against this Canadian team but Canada has had some problems with them in the last WCs.
This Canadian team? The ones that lost to USA, Finland, and Switzerland? The ones that needed a PP in OT to beat Latvia? The ones who squeeked past Germany?

The only team Canada beat in this tournament worth a damn was Russia and even that was a close game where they also needed a PP in OT to win it.

Ps. We've lost to Switzerland in the Olympics with our "A" team.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Worst goalies I have ever seen on a Canada roster. Not today perhaps since the D were at fault but as Sandviper posted previously, the quality or lack thereof of the goaltending was worrying to him.

Here's short recap.

They didn't show a replay, even in the recap, but I think the goalie made a HUGE save with a second or 2 left on the clock. Around the 2:40 mark.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

No way McCarron should be playing at center with his lack of mobility. So, he should be playing and improving himself as a winger, most probably in Laval.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad