Post-Game Talk: Habs win 4-2 vs Tampa. Screw the Leafs.

POG?

• Total voters

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
in a bo1 yes not bo7 lets all be honest

also vasi and hedman were not playing

lets all be humble here , habs played great , but habs cant do this for 7 games . Tampa did not played well and probably did not care.

It was a fun win but lets not be overhyped.
Excuses........And why can’t they do this for 7 games.....not saying they'd win but habs just showed that when they play their A game, they can compete with the best.

People are happy with the effort and outcome of last nights game, let em rejoice till next game day

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
Bring them all, this Habs team is ready for war. Fastest team in the league and top5 at ES. They'll surprise the Caps and will run over the Leafs!
Let's get in! Go Habs!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The boys are doing the beset they can with what they have. They are working their butt off. Anything you hear about them not winning because of work ethic is bogus.

It's been a traditional refrain from the start of the season. We're in this position on account of a lack of talent at certain key needs, not for a lack of trying (for the vast majority of the team, excluding Drouin who has been fairweather).

The lessons from this season will no doubt cause adjustments and improvements to be made in the summer.

However, it ain't over until it's over. Maybe there will yet be more surprises as the season winds down.

Reactions: jaffy27

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Excuses........And why can’t they do this for 7 games.....not saying they'd win but habs just showed that when they play their A game, they can compete with the best.

People are happy with the effort and outcome of last nights game, let em rejoice till next game day
All 31 teams can and do say the same thing "when we play our A game we can compete wit the best" It is the NHL after all.

Problem for bubble teams and bottom feeders .....is if the better team brings their A game too....your toast.

As we witnessed last night.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's too bad his name isn't Toews or Bergeron or he'd likely get a bunch of Selke votes. It's such a stupid trophy that's based 100% on reputation.

Only reason some of us still follow the trophy "races" has more to do with how they were highlited in the back of hockey cards.

Any trophy that involves a vote is mostly a discretionary affair and repugnant. It's as exciting as the outcome of an all star game or intra-squad games at training camp or pre-season. :sarcasm:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Last edited:

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I give them credit for this and last game. This team is competing and hard. You can see their hearts on their sleeves. Problem is, if Vasi was net, we don’t win that game. And it’ll be the same in the playoffs likely if we make it.

I don't get it, yes squale isn't as good but he was VERY good last night. a little jerky on the thompson goal. the armia goal from way behind the net was flukey. I don't think that was a talent goal, the lehkonen one was great work off a rebound and the domi one, there was blown coverage and domi had a clear breakaway with a pretty wicked shot.

I think that tampa didnt play great but their achiles heel wasnt the goalie.

they might not have been trying but after the domi own goal, I don't think I heard stamkos' name once.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
If you can't set up to enter the zone, that has nothing to do with winning or losing a FOs. Just like you can win a FOs and not be able to set up crap in the zone.

I'm not ignoring anything. Winning more FOs does not translate to more wins or more scoring. You are looking at single events to generalize. It doesn't work that way. I'm saying what happens after you win is so much more important that looking at FOs is a bit pointless. Throwing a bucket of water on just the blanket when your entire appartment is on fire is pretty pointless.

Impact of Winning an Offensive Zone Faceoff, Even-Strength vs Power-Play
''On the PP, the shooting percentage for shots for is 8.98%, while it's 7.21% for shots against. That gives us +3.66 goals per 100 faceoff extra wins.
This tells us that a team needs to win 164 additional power-play or penalty-kill faceoffs to get one additional win. But a team typically only takes 790 such faceoffs per season, so it would be virtually impossible to win 164 more faceoffs.''

My point was, over the course of a season and given our terrible strategies on the PP, winning or losing a FOs ain't gonna change jack.
So faceoffs aren’t important then says the graph thrown together by a guy who calls himself “Hawerchuk “ :laugh:

well, if he says so, the entire NHL was wrong and he should sell this to all NHL teams and make millions off of it so they can stop acquiring and paying players for their faceoff skills.......”Hey Bergeron.......your faceoff skills are bogus and mean nothing”!!!

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
All 31 teams can and do say the same thing "when we play our A game we can compete wit the best" It is the NHL after all.

Problem for bubble teams and bottom feeders .....is if the better team brings their A game too....your toast.

As we witnessed last night.
True, but 94pts in our division, our conference is pretty freggin good.

Of course my money is on Tampa to win against Habs, I’m not delusional, but they’ll give them one hell of a ride and we may just get lucky.....them and Washington are the only teams that really scare me....the rest, it’s 50/50 Mano

Mikah

Feb 19, 2018
Tampa Bay simply did not care. It's not even about not bringing their A game, it was not even their B game from their B team.

Pasquale looked good, but goalies always look good when facing lots of shots right from the start. They warm up and get confident. Just look at Niemi's game with 50+ saves. The shots on goal is exactly a reflection of the effort they put in. Which is none.

When they will ice their best team, and every players turn it on, you would not see Montreal doubling their shots on goal like yesterday.

Strahlman even said it after the game:
Nobody was worried about the loss. Habs needed/wanted it more. Our main focus for final games is staying/getting healthy and feeling good about our game.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
As per request, I've added in the POG poll along with the choices suggested. I added in two of my own: Tatar and Gallagher. For my money, they were the best two on the ice. Tatar was absolutely great tonight and he's my choice for POG.
I reported it as a request. I did this as possible all along the #2018/2019season. Do it permanently. In general, it's gave us an objective opinions. And more interactions.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Im talking trophies as a player.

He may as well have been an usher with the Hawks. :laugh:
That’s funny lol

But he wasn’t an usher right, assistant coach, scout, head scout I believe, director of player personnel, assistant GM.....some pretty significant positions:)

Reactions: Runner77

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
It's been a traditional refrain from the start of the season. We're in this position on account of a lack of talent at certain key needs, not for a lack of trying (for the vast majority of the team, excluding Drouin who has been fairweather).

The lessons from this season will no doubt cause adjustments and improvements to be made in the summer.

However, it ain't over until it's over. Maybe there will yet be more surprises as the season winds down.

Lack of trying was always used 'cause you look less stupid than to say lack of talent. This team has worked more than any other. It was NEVER about lack of trying.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Sergachev played
18:18
18:49
19:56
15:40
18:12
19:50
17:47
20:25

You act like he's playing 10 minutes a night. "DiDnT mOvE HiM Up"... You want him to play 25 minutes a night ? You realize they have one of the deepest D squad in the league? Also, Cernak being good doesn't stop Sergachev from being good.
Do you have to do this "data" stuff? It's more fun if you just shoot off the cuff. Less pedantic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad