Post-Game Talk: Habs win 3-1 vs Senators

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Therrien isn't going to try it any time soon, but I'd give it a shot. Only problem is that it would draw more attention to Desharnais in terms of puck distributor, which having Briere on the same line seems to be helping for now.

Agreed. Having two shifty playmakers setting up Patches is probably a good thing.

You could see Briere looking to shoot more last night. If he gets that shot going along with his very deft play making then he's going to be fun as hell to watch.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

why is all this an issue... ?

What are you trying to pove? That line was one of our most dangerous all night long and had alot of opportunities. Eller and Chuckie have good chemistry, while we might see them split during the season I don't see a reason to change their line right now.

I don't want to prove anything, I just want to clear things up. The guy was wrong so...

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
First goal: Prust got the assist. PGG line (BTW Eller wasn't playing)
2nd goal: Danny B made an amazing pass. GEB line
I don't want to prove anything, I just want to clear things up. The guy was wrong so...

You missed the whole point, one, two, three or four, it's a coincidence.
I said only one because another poster that quoted you said it, so figured he had checked it. But point stands, it's a coincidence. So no, I'm not wrong.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Regardless of being the #1 or #3 line they have not played well.

If they faced tougher competition as #1 then that's a good thing. How is it a bad thing for a coach to challenge young players in preseason? If you never put guys in a tougher situation then how will you find out if they can give you more and how they respond to adversity?

It's not a bad thing that they were tried out. That's what training camp and exhibition games are for.
But if challenging and pushing them to see how much they can give you, and evaluate where they're at, than why do this ''meeting'' and then use them on the 3rd line?

I don't have an issue with them being given bigger roles. I have an issue with ''analysis'' that question the EGG line without looking at the situation they were put in.
It's as if I told Beaulieu to go on the first pairing, play 20min a game, on the PP and on the PK. After he not so surprisingly looks bad, I say ''hhmmm, I'm worried about this kid''. It's a crappy analysis.

If the EGG line looks bad 10 games into the season as the 3rd line, then okay, it's warranted.

But I think it's pretty telling that they looked rather ordinary playing in an increased role all camp, and when they're given their 3rd line role again, they dominate. I mean really, I don't understand how people can't see this.

Johnny B Good

Sep 21, 2011
I'm not trying to make Eller sound like a bad guy, cause I like him very much! But I always seem to notice that Eller doesnt like to pass the puck to Galchenyuk for some reason. I'm not saying he doesnt pass the puck, it just seems that in some situations where it looks like a non-brainer to pass the puck, he simply doesnt..Almost looks like he wants to make things happen on his own at times. But at the same time, its no secret that Eller can hold on too the puck to long sometimes... Well what do I know, they're the pro's:)

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
I'm not trying to make Eller sound like a bad guy, cause I like him very much! But I always seem to notice that Eller doesnt like to pass the puck to Galchenyuk for some reason. I'm not saying he doesnt pass the puck, it just seems that in some situations where it looks like a non-brainer to pass the puck, he simply doesnt..Almost looks like he wants to make things happen on his own at times. But at the same time, its no secret that Eller can hold on too the puck to long sometimes... Well what do I know, they're the pro's:)

This board just doesn't improve with time, in fact it's getting worst.

PricePkPatch*

Galchenyuk do seems to be more of the perimeter player compared to Gallagher's constant, nonstop and eternal drive-the-net attitude.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
That's true in principle, but it's also true that fans' attention spans are frighteningly short. We declare players to be finished way too quickly, just as we declare the next star way too easily.

Diaz made a huge leap last season and showed some great offensive skill, along with very responsible defensive play. No, he's not that physical, but he made very few mistakes in our zone. Overall, he was a big plus until his concussion. Since coming back he's only played a handful of real games plus a few pre-season games. Judging him on this recent tiny sampling is shortsighted.

I love what I saw with Nygren, but he isn't a legit NHL defenseman yet. For all his obvious potential, there are way too many gaps in his defense to allow him to play regular minutes in an NHL season. Right now, he'll cost us more goals than he'll create. Another year or two and sure, it's possible that he, Beaulieu, Pateryn, maybe even Dietz, will make Diaz redundant. But not yet.

Good post. We are quite rich with D prospects. Which reminds me of my main idea:

Bergy has to start trading redundant prospects for young prospects that we need in our cup window.

He has to start being more active this year. If Diaz, Dumont and a pick can get us a big young top 6 winger, or a big young top 4 D man, then do it.

This is Bergy's year. He had better be active, or we blow the Price, Subby, Max and Galchy cup window.

Bergy needs to start trading. We will see if he does.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Good post. We are quite rich with D prospects. Which reminds me of my main idea:

Bergy has to start trading redundant prospects for young prospects that we need in our cup window.

He has to start being more active this year. If Diaz, Dumont and a pick can get us a big young top 6 winger, or a big young top 4 D man, then do it.

This is Bergy's year. He had better be active, or we blow the Price, Subby, Max and Galchy cup window.

Diaz, Dumont and a pick.......:shakehead

Nobody is trading a big, young top 6 forward for our junk. Dumont has absolutely no trade value and Diaz has very little value.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

the same Dumont who was put on waivers ?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Galchenyuk do seems to be more of the perimeter player compared to Gallagher's constant, nonstop and eternal drive-the-net attitude.

Galchenyuk is going to be a playmaking center with a laser wrister, you stick a guy on his line that drives the net and scores dirty goals. Having Galchenyuk spend his shift driving the net is a waste of his talents.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
Prust was only there because they were both too young to be physically involved. Prust can't carry the level of play that Eller and Galchenyuk are trying to improve, he simply doesn't have enough speed for it.

Or the hands, or offensive awareness.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011

I wouldn't call him a perimiter player, he finds the openings so he can be an option. He does crash the net as well, but it's not his only move.

rafal majka

Sep 29, 2004
Why is Eller the scapegoat now ???

Because if the EGG line didn't dominate in the pre-season then the sky's falling and it's Eller's fault by default because Halak has always been better than Price and Ian Schultz never amounted to anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,420.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated: