LeBrun: Habs want at least a 2nd round pick for Kovalchuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vijo Morganstein

Nov 29, 2019
Lol okay sure Habs, whatever you say.

The Habs should just keep him and re-sign him, tbh. If you re-sign him and he either continues what he has done or plays at least reasonably well, you'd be a lot more likely to get that kind of return next year than this year. I can't see how any reasonable contender is going to want to trade a 2nd for Kovalchuk when they could have had him literally for free a month ago.
How many times am I going to have to read that inane last sentence?

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
I would trade him (Kovy) for a second or a conditional second, if the best offer is a third round is the best offer you get , keep him and sign him to a 1 year $ 2.75 million dollar contract.

As for Petry and Tartar, unless its a first round pick, sign them; they will be hard to be replace and can certainly contribute for the next 2-3 years.

There contract are the wild card when Domi, Gallagher and other will need contracts in a few years.

Habs do have some great kids in the pipeline like Caufield and Romanov but they may need one more year of seasoning.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Draft picks are so incredibly overrated here.

so no they are not

Oilers over the passed 5 years have pissed away a lot of picks in rounds 1 to 3,

they finally kept some

Yammato looks good, taken 22nd overall
Bear and Jones were taken in the 3rd round

lets take a look at the blues and where their players were taken(not by who but when)
Perron at 26
O'Reilly at 33
Pietrangelo 4
Schenn 5
Swartz 14
Thomas 20
Bozak unsigned
Sunquist 81
sanford 61
Steen 24
Dunn 56
Paryko 86
Faulk 37
Taresenko 16
MacEachern 67
Blais 176

you need to go deep to get a player taken outside of the 3rd round.

If the habs want a 2nd there has to be conditions based upon how deep in the playoffs the team goes

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
so no they are not

Oilers over the passed 5 years have pissed away a lot of picks in rounds 1 to 3,

they finally kept some

Yammato looks good, taken 22nd overall
Bear and Jones were taken in the 3rd round

lets take a look at the blues and where their players were taken(not by who but when)
Perron at 26
O'Reilly at 33
Pietrangelo 4
Schenn 5
Swartz 14
Thomas 20
Bozak unsigned
Sunquist 81
sanford 61
Steen 24
Dunn 56
Paryko 86
Faulk 37
Taresenko 16
MacEachern 67
Blais 176

you need to go deep to get a player taken outside of the 3rd round.

If the habs want a 2nd there has to be conditions based upon how deep in the playoffs the team goes
That’s only if there’s just one team that sees 2nd round value in Kovalchuk. As soon as there’s more than one suitor the conditions go out the window.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
tbh either we get a second or we keep him in the hopes of extending him. He likes it here in mtl and we love him here. No reason to flip for a meh piece that will likely never materialize especially when we have like 10 or picks already stacked up.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It seems like a very reasonable ask to me. Gaborik returned a 2nd at the trade deadline in 2014, and the players are sort of comparable. Gaborik was injured for half of the season; Kovalchuk was scratched or without a team for half of the season. Gaborik had 14pts in 22gms with the Jackets; Kovalchuk has had 18pts in 28gms with the Kings and Habs combined.

The only potential problem is that a bubble team may not want to pay that because missing the playoffs would put the pick in the first half of the 2nd round, and a playoff team may not want to pay a late 2nd because they probably don't have a spot in the top 6 to use Kovalchuk effectively. Of course, he might still be nice to have on the 3rd line and ready to move up in case of injury before or during the playoffs.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
tbh either we get a second or we keep him in the hopes of extending him. He likes it here in mtl and we love him here. No reason to flip for a meh piece that will likely never materialize especially when we have like 10 or picks already stacked up.

+ it would be easier to listen offers for Tatar if we still have a fair replacement for the year(s) to come.

because Yeah Californians and trolls, we'll resign this 81 LA games trash

Reactions: Legend123

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
Buddy he is 37 years old, you guys are talking like the Habs are about to go on a run lmao. extension

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
That’s only if there’s just one team that sees 2nd round value in Kovalchuk. As soon as there’s more than one suitor the conditions go out the window.

I have given you an example of one team--who won the cup last year and sit 2nd overall

How was boston built? they sit number 1

not by who drafted them but where the player was drafted
Pastrenk 25
Marchand 71
Bergeron 45
Krejci 63
Krug UFA
Debrusk 14
Coyle 28
Heinen 116
McAvoy 14
Kurley 133
Carlo 37
Bjork 146
Grezlyk 85
Grandpa Moses 56 in 1776
wagner 122
Nordstrom 90
Lindholm UFA

for me a pick in the top 100 picks is where the scouts need to it it

I have now given you the top 2 teams in the league

start giving me the teams not built on on guys taken in the first 3 rounds that are good

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I'd be pretty surprised if he got that. He's doing well in Montreal, but he had a much longer period of not being worth much in LA. Montreal is obviously a good fit, but who knows if the new team will be? I'm not liking the odds that anyone would be willing to part with a 2nd to find out.

Reactions: CreeksideStrangler

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I have given you an example of one team--who won the cup last year and sit 2nd overall

How was boston built? they sit number 1

not by who drafted them but where the player was drafted
Pastrenk 25
Marchand 71
Bergeron 45
Krejci 63
Krug UFA
Debrusk 14
Coyle 28
Heinen 116
McAvoy 14
Kurley 133
Carlo 37
Bjork 146
Grezlyk 85
Grandpa Moses 56 in 1776
wagner 122
Nordstrom 90
Lindholm UFA

for me a pick in the top 100 picks is where the scouts need to it it

I have now given you the top 2 teams in the league

start giving me the teams not built on on guys taken in the first 3 rounds that are good
I don’t disagree. But if there are 2 GM’s willing to pay a 2nd for Kovalchuk, then all the co dictions you think should be part of the deal won’t be there. The market will pay what the market will pay. Your rant about how teams are/should be built has little baring on that

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
why would a team bite at that asking price, guy was sitting on his couch unemployed and any team could have signed him to league minimum.

Should be a pick with conditions on it for rounds played in or games played etc.

If a GM is dumb enough to give a 2nd rounder for him he should be fired imo
You really should stop using that argument , the Canadiens got a top six winger going at a near point per game clip at no risk for virtually nothing . Because 29 other teams missed out on this doesn't diminish Kovalchuks value in the least . Now I don't know what they'll get for him at the deadline if anything but as of right now the Habs have gotten their moneys worth and anything else will be gravy .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad