LeBrun: Habs want at least a 2nd round pick for Kovalchuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Lol okay sure Habs, whatever you say.

The Habs should just keep him and re-sign him, tbh. If you re-sign him and he either continues what he has done or plays at least reasonably well, you'd be a lot more likely to get that kind of return next year than this year. I can't see how any reasonable contender is going to want to trade a 2nd for Kovalchuk when they could have had him literally for free a month ago.
1. He’s worth a 2nd

2. He has to want to sign with that team.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

The Habs should just keep him and re-sign him, tbh. If you re-sign him and he either continues what he has done or plays at least reasonably well, you'd be a lot more likely to get that kind of return next year than this year. I can't see how any reasonable contender is going to want to trade a 2nd for Kovalchuk when they could have had him literally for free a month ago.

Yeah that's what the post says. A second or re-sign him.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I hope they are going to be quick about it as I expect Kovalchuk to regress very soon.

Last edited:

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
I'd do a second if you take cici as the leafs .gives us more flexibility to maybe add something else as well

He would be a great vet addition for the play offs

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I hope they are going to be quick about is as I expect Kovalchuk to regress very soon.
i don't think so. he's super motivated to be playing in a hockey-crazy market, playing in the top 6 with a young playmaker ..he's revitalized playing in an up-tempo system with a lot of young guys

Reactions: Roadhouse

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS

His play and pedigree warrants the ask imo. It doesn't matter that they only signed him in January and to 700k. They took a shot on him when no one else seemed willing. Ilya has proved there is gas in the tank. The fact his hit is so small means the potential for a bidding war is real. From a buyer's perspective, the chance to add that kind of goal scoring talent for that small a cap hit is enticing. There should be plenty of teams lining up.

Should Montreal re-sign him? I would. I'd ask him if, even traded by the dead line, he'd strongly consider coming back on a year by year basis. I'd move out a middle six player to make the room.

Reactions: angry pirate

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
The day they signed him, it seemed they were just buying a pick. Getting a third is a good deal, getting a second would be a great ROI

Reactions: Archijerej

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A second round draft pick for a guy who was available to the entire league after he was waived and then bought out? Bergevin is dreaming in technicolor.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
A second round draft pick for a guy who was available to the entire league after he was waived and then bought out? Bergevin is dreaming in technicolor.
That’s when the entire league thought he was done as an NHL player. He’s proven he can still play. Just because teams didn’t see his value before doesn’t preclude them from seeing value in him now. Especially at a $700k cap hit

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I would laugh if someone actually offered a 2nd for Kovalchuk and Bergevin said no because of Locker Room intangibles
locker room?
he's on pace for 35-40 goals...yes. it's a hot take, but he's scoring and playing well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad