Pre-Game Talk: Habs vs. Leafs (Tomorrow @ 7PM ET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
I want a win so badly... but the leafs are gonna dumpster us.

Come on Philly D, smother Austin with your great D game/.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
In 5GP vs Leafs 3 were one goal games and other two 2-goal (incl empty netters). I expect more of the same
I think the Habs are on a massive out of control moment and it continues to get worse. Funny to watch the culmination of Bergevin's massive off season spending blow up

Reactions: habsfan891

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
One defenseman and zero top 6 forwards who were drafted and developed by the organisation in the lineup. Culmination of 13 years of incompetence and where the team is now is exactly where we should expect it to be.
who cares if the players were or weren't developed by the Habs, if they play a good hockey ?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
We can only hope.
This is really what needs to happen...I know we are wired to cheer for our team but something has to give and rock bottom needs to happen this season. Bergevin can't keep burying this franchise this way.

No one wanted Byron, a waiver pick up who ends up with a 14 million dollar contract.

Kulak for 2 minor leaguers and kulak ends up as a top pairing D.

You let two terrific players walk after signing Alzner.

While the rest of the league switches to speed and transition the Habs build a slow, lumbering Defense.

I can no longer follow this team. I will watch Laval because it gives me a glimmer of hope.

About 3-4 current roster players were drafted by the Habs and 2 of those occurred before Bergevin was hired. In 8+ years you have Lehoknen, Evans, Romanov as the only current Habs drafted by Bergevin that became regulars since 2012

Reactions: mariolemieux66

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
I'm disappointed Staal played so long at C and many other things took so long. But I guess because we had Julien for so long, I like that at least Ducharme acts much, much more quickly than Julien - and it's not even close.

the lines today:
Tatar/Armia - Danault - Byron
Toffoli - Suzuki - Evans
Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Anderson
Lehkonen - Staal - Perry

Kulak - Weber
Edmundson - Petry
Romanov - Leskinen
Frolik - Mete

Allen
Primeau

I like that KK is back at C.
I like that Staal is on the 4th line (though I think he should be on the wing)
I like that Evans is getting a shot on the wing. I think he might do well there. So hopefully Staal at 4c doesn't cost us the game. If Staal is brutal, Evans will have to go back to 4c.

As for the D, Weber has struggled mightily. Kulak-Weber could be really ugly. I still think Romanov-Weber was the solution until a trade. Kulak-Petry had been good in the past, so I don't really blame Ducharme for trying to spread things out, have Eddy help Weber, with the limited personnel he has...

Not all is perfect, but at least changes, and some positive ones.

Romo on the 1st pair is a 50/50 with his development. He isn't there yet and can't be rushed.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm staring to think Ducharme is really not that smart :laugh:

Well, at least he's trying some things.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Toffoli-Suzuki-Evans do.

Always thought Evans had more offensive upside than Byron, Lehkonen, and Armia. Those 3 have gotten chance after chance with offensive players in the top 9. I'm glad Evans is getting his chance.

Reactions: Habsrule

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I’m fine by those lines. Byron is on the first line but we all know that playing with Danault and Tatar they will be used to shut down Matthews and Marner. Attempt to at least. Evans on the second line is a surprise but I am all for giving rookies a chance. If he only ever plays fourth line then he will never be more than a fourth line player.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I have this guy Merrill on my mind regarding that. :sarcasm:

I had posted that and not 10 minutes later, Habs announce they acquired Merrill.

Haha, Actually I was wondering if you had any Dman of significance in mind - to play next to Weber.

Hey, ya never know, there's 23 minutes left before the deadline. If you post a name, maybe MB acquires him by 3pm.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We 100% lose this game. When Byron is on your 1st line, Evans on your 2nd, kulak on the 1st pair . Atrocious

It's better than Staal at C...

At least Byron is with Danault, and we'll see what Evans can do with Suzuki. We were looking good with Lehkonen and Byron on a checking line with KK before Staal, but also before Gally went down. I would have created a Byron-Danault-Lehkonen line, and put the best offensive players with Suzuk and KK - and probably kicked Drouin to the 4th line, in favor of Evans or Staal on the wing...

Tatar KK/Danault Anderson
Toffoli Suzuki Evans
Lehkonen Danault/KK Byron
Drouin Staal Perry

Reactions: CAUFIELD

austin316

Oct 4, 2016
We are going to get absolutely crushed tonight. Not even going to watch. Byron /Lehks/Kulak oh my!

Reactions: Tyson

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
and so begins the post-deadline run...

we've been a brutal team the past few years in the latter part of the year. As good teams start to sharpen their focus and prepare for playoff hockey, the weakness of our roster gets exposed even worse.

This year, with condensed schedule and COVID fatigue, will be interesting to see how that plays out... does playing only division games make things worse or better? Jets/Leafs/Oilers will be raring to go, Leafs & Oilers having added some reinforcements. On the flip side, Sens, Nucks and Flames all sold some roster depth for futures and will be thinking about the summer break/next year...

Suspect the Flames play pretty well, Sutter will keep those screws tight. Sens? Nucks? could see lots of mailing it in from their vets.

and we sit right in the middle... no real shot at improving our playoff spot, very little risk of losing it. Quite a few vets that are UFA to be, so maybe that helps drive some motivated play :dunno:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
My lineup for the playoffs assuming Gally is healthy:

Drouin - Suzuki - Anderson
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Toffoli - Kotkaniemi - Caufield
Perry - Staal - Armia
extra: Lehkonen, Byron, Evans

Chariot - Weber
Edmundson - Petry
Romanov - Merrill
extra: Gustafsson, Kulak