Confirmed with Link: Habs Trade Hayden Hawkey to Edmonton for 2019 5th pick

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
2014 6th round pick for a 2019 5th round pick... solid goaltender for his level, awesome name, was and is going back to Providence for one last (?) season, in a Habs pipeline with many goalies. Wonder what will be the AHL/ECHL lineup next season with Fucale and Hawkey (wasn't there yet) gone, and with the possible trade of Lindgren.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
This is weird timming return seem low considering Hawkey really step up last year. a 5th round pick isn't a offer you can't refuse, he going to be one of the top goalie in the NCAA is value would only improve...

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I know we have a lot of goalie prospects but I don't get why we do this if the return is only a 5th....
Still upgraded based on where he was selected. At the end of the day, if a guy like Wedgewood who is a pro goalie is worth a 5th, what should we expect for a 23 year old goalie still years away from the NHL? From an organizational perspective I approve this deal. Chances are he would have graduated after this year. Which means he would have been behind McNiven. Also when does Primeau turn pro? Next season or the season after that? There are only so many spots for goalies to see action unless they play in the ECHL or are loaned elsewhere. Plus there's the possibility that he didn't see himself signing with us with all the goalies in front of him.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
This is weird timming return seem low considering Hawkey really step up last year. a 5th round pick isn't a offer you can't refuse, he going to be one of the top goalie in the NCAA is value would only improve...
I think the problem is finding him work with Primeau and McNiven coming needing the AHL net over the next couple years.

I probably wouldn't have done it for a 5th but whatever.

We've got McNiven, Primeau, Lindgren and Price is going nowhere because he's not tradeable.

Reactions: DAChampion

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Lindren, Mcniven, Primeau, Hawkey ... We have no room in the NHL we have 2 spot in the AHL and 2 of these guys are in the NCAA so I don't see why we had to rush a trade right now next year we had 1 spot opening in the NHL and 1 guy in the NCAA... I isn't a bad return it just isn't a trade that MB couldn't refuse...

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Lindren, Mcniven, Primeau, Hawkey ... We have no room in the NHL we have 2 spot in the AHL and 2 of these guys are in the NCAA so I don't see why we had to rush a trade right now next year we had 1 spot opening in the NHL and 1 guy in the NCAA... I isn't a bad return it just isn't a trade that MB couldn't refuse...

Hawkey has to option to become a UFA either this summer (see the Schultz loophole) or next.

Maybe MB was scared that he would pull out a Cal Petersen

Habs also have Marcoux, who could challenge McNiven for some playing time in Laval, on a AHL contract.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I really like Hawkey but getting something for him right now was probably the smart move, we're 5 or 6 prospects deep at that position, there's just not a ton of future opportunities. Heck, with Niemi staying there's no opening for Lindgren right now which probably means McNiven will be playing in the ECHL again.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I was expecting this. Needed to be done. He's going into his final year which means he needs a contract at the end of this year.

NHL: Price, Niemi
AHL: McNiven, Lindgren
ECHL: Marcoux

Where's he going to play?

Even next year if Lindgren moves up you can go with McNiven & Marcoux in the AHL and then Primeau may arrive.

Way too much quality competition & he could decide not to sign with Montreal because of it.

Smart & necessary trade.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Yea I wouldn't have done this as I expect him to have a big year but at least they get a pick in case he doesn't want to sign after next season.

Hawkey has to option to become a UFA either this summer (see the Schultz loophole) or next.

Maybe MB was scared that he would pull out a Cal Petersen

Habs also have Marcoux, who could challenge McNiven for some playing time in Laval, on a AHL contract.

He could have used the loophole but that ended as you have to inform your team ahead of time. I'd have to look up the date, I think it's June 1st. Now he may look at his options next year and opt to not sign and become a UFA on August 15th, as he should have teams interested in him since he'll likely be one of the top goalies again and his team could go far next year.

I was expecting this. Needed to be done. He's going into his final year which means he needs a contract at the end of this year.

NHL: Price, Niemi
AHL: McNiven, Lindgren
ECHL: Marcoux

Where's he going to play?

Even next year if Lindgren moves up you can go with McNiven & Marcoux in the AHL and then Primeau may arrive.

Way too much quality competition & he could decide not to sign with Montreal because of it.

Smart & necessary trade.

well we know he's going to be in the NCAA playing on a team that's on the up swing and could be one of the better teams in the NCAA especially if he plays like he did in the 2nd half.

Niemi I would be shocked if he's here past next season as he'll be hard pressed to be as good as he was this year. That moves Lindgren up to backup Price. McNiven hasn't played much and needs to be better so you would have McNiven and then Hawkey either as backup or in the ECHL.

Primeau makes Hawkey expendable but they could have just left in in the NCAA for one more year to give them another look at McNiven and see how Hawkey adjusted to the pro game.

Marcoux who cares he's on an AHL contract so unless he impresses, he's just depth for the minors.

Jul 6, 2016

Habs have also signed an ex-Q goalie, Marcoux, who used to play for Bouchard in B&B.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
.I like this, if you can get future picks for a player you don't see having a shot with our goalie depth take it. I also liked trading away picks this year for next year. If your scouts feel that you don;t like anyone at your pick selection then trade for more picks or a year out. This way instead of gambling on someone you really don't want just trade for future picks. I'd love to roll picks forward and get more try to keep 10+ picks a year and you increase your odds of finding some gems.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
There's also Samuel Harvey, who Habs invited to their development camp next week (and I believe he was at the Habs' combine). Maybe they end up signing him to an AHL/ECHL contract and they go with:

NHL: Price & Niemi
AHL: Lindgren & McNiven
ECHL: Marcoux & Harvey (??)
Prospect: Primeau

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Management was pretty high on him when they drafted him. Must have went sour somewhere along the line

Not all trades mean the team's relationship with the player went sour. I think the way Primeau played last year, as well as the signing of Marcoux for AHL/ECHL made Hawkey expendable. This was just a case where Habs traded the lowest goalie prospect on the totem pole (only ahead of Fucale, who will most probably be let go) and they got a draft pick in return.

Reactions: Tyson

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Bergy trades with the same 5 teams...hilarious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->