Proposal: Habs trade cascade

thebonscott

Jun 1, 2017
Instead of asking for a first this year for TATAR, PETRY, ETC. Ask for a first 2 or 3 years from now and during the summer offer sheet Dubois at 12.5M per year and let columbus take our four first rounders.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Teams won’t trade first round picks years down the road just for the hell of it. Certainly not for players of Tatar and Petry’s caliber. Have fun offersheeting Dubois at 12.5 million...

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
There's got to be a better plan than giving Dubois 12 million dollars, losing 4 first round picks, and losing all your trade-able assets now for those future picks.

Trade Tatar/Petry for picks this year. Make the draft selections, and see if you land a Dubois type player. Don't overpay a player with an offer sheet.

Reactions: Gravity

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Very Bad™ idea. Dubois is good but that's a significant overpay (ties McDavid for highest cap hit) plus you lose 4 first rounders.

12.5M for Dubois?

This is probably the most insane thing I have read on here in a long time.

But the cap can only go up! /s. Seriously though at the rate salaries inflate in the NHL, 12.5 for Dubois may be high but not out of the realm of possibility. Offer sheets have to be high enough not to get matched; you don't make a fair offer and expect the player's GM to back off because he appreciates the fairness.

The problems with OP's idea is that it requires that CBJ doesn't sign Dubois before his deal is up, which they will do their best to accomplish. It weakens MTL in tbe meantime badly by putting off those picks instead of using them and developing players. And the plan B sets them back years.

Reactions: thebonscott

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
12.5M for Dubois?

This is probably the most insane thing I have read on here in a long time.

I don't mind 12.5M for Dubois as a habs fan - I definitely mind paying 4 1st round picks though.
As a team whose had a lot of cap space for the past 3-5 years, overpaying a top player by 2-3M$ doesn't bother me too much. Well - that's assuming he's a legitimate #1C, which i'm actually not sold on, as i'm not as high on Dubois as others appear to be. Giving the benefit of the doubt that he really is the real deal.

That’s not how offer sheets work. The picks have to be your own

They would be. I think he's saying, we give Habs 4 1st round picks. But we trade guys like Petry and Tatar to obtain other team's 1st round picks - that way we still end up with some picks in the first round too.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Instead of asking for a first this year for TATAR, PETRY, ETC. Ask for a first 2 or 3 years from now and during the summer offer sheet Dubois at 12.5M per year and let columbus take our four first rounders.

Go to bed Pierre, you're drunk!

Reactions: HabsQC

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
You'd be lucky to get a 2020 1st for either of those players.

No team is going to hedge future success (i.e., future playoff berths, such that those future 1sts will be low) on Tatar or Petry. That's insane, and so is your Dubois idea.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
With the kind of draft 2020 is shaping up to be, I don't expect 1st rounders to be flying this deadline. We'll see.
Regardless, Bergevin won't trade either player. He wants to "contend" next season with the same crappy team. He's the dumbest f***ing GM in the universe.

Reactions: Gravity

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Quite the gamble. But I like to gamble. Instead of getting picks down the road, trade Tatar and Petry at draft for picks in this draft? They still be young but closet to playing with Dubois

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Trade Weber back to Nashville for Ryan Johansen, they can use his type of defense and it would let them LTIR his cap. They have a logjam at C plus Tomasino coming up, Turris is umoveable yet fairly productive so makes sense to keep him. You have fairly young big body C down the middle and can start breaking in more defensive prospects.

Nashville also bottoms out this year and gets a high pick and is back to being a contender again next year with a healthy Weber.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad