Habs Tonight on PK vs Max debate

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Im not sure if its accurate, but I always took that Gally and Subban were not on the same side at all.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
I'm not sure they're the ones who wanted to be away from his donation. I feel PK wanted to make it clear this is coming from him, not the Habs.
Hearing Weise tell how he found out about it when those two were friends also kinda confirms it for me.
He calls Weise at 7am to say he's got some massive news, and then he finds out later that day when PK makes the announcement? So clearly he didn't even tell his buddies.
I wasn't referring to the donation specifically but the photos symbolically. The organization didnt embrace PK as they should - of this I have no doubt.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Taking away the spotlight from the true superstar of the team, Bergevin.

To be fair, I don't think Bergevin has ever desired to be a star and certainly not as the Habs GM. He's just a traditional, corporate soldier to the maximum. His loyalty is not to himself or even an institution, but to whoever he works for.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
The PK affair was messy, and I'd put a lot of the onus on Bergevin (alot moreso than Therrien actually). Having said that.....Subban definitely became suffocating the locker room over time, and my guess is it may have been at least partially the result of the clear animosity between himself and management.

Reactions: habsfan92

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
If that were true he wouldve said something when Laraque mentionned that no teammate went to it.
Not necessarily.
Weise obviously didn't know about it, and those two were/are close buddies. So I strongly doubt a bunch of other people knew and he didn't tell one of his good buds.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
PK was polarizing player he wasn’t popular with everyone. But there wasn’t even a press conference when they sign him to that 9m$ deal after going to arbitration clearly there was some bitterness, than he pledged 10M$ to the Hospital the day before the Habs annonces their Captain, the team wasn’t at included or present. Clearly that is him stealing the spotlight, maybe trying to force the team hand into giving him the C, or just giving them the middle finger (which they probably deserved).

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
To be fair, I don't think Bergevin has ever desired to be a star and certainly not as the Habs GM. He's just a traditional, corporate soldier to the maximum. His loyalty is not to himself or even an institution, but to whoever he works for.

Nothing traditional at all about his attire and hairstyles/facial hair...

In a league full of hyper corporate/traditional GMs, MB has consistently chosen to try and stand out via his fashion...

Not a stretch to suspect that PKs ability to monopolize the spotlight ate at our wannabe fashionista GM.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
There was always friction between the organization and PK. He rubbed them the wrong way in everything he did, his music, his optics off-ice, his exuberant on-ice celebrations, all of it made the stiff shirts uncomfortable. I mean how petty must you be to ban the triple low-five celebration? If that didn't scream friction, I don't know what does. There was no chance in hell he would be made captain even if he got 100% of the votes.

Garry Valk

Feb 27, 2002
thedrivefortwentyfive.blogspot.com
To be fair, PK has been great for the Montreal hospital. BUT he did not donate the 8-9M. He built a fund and promised to raise the millions. Just to make it clear. I loved him a lot. But there has been a lot of false press built with that story. BUT he was great for the kids. Just great.
I was PISSED when he got traded.

There’s an important addendum to this - he promised to raise $9mm by a certain date AND bridge the gap with his own funds if need be (in addition to the first million out of his own pocket, if I recall correctly).

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I watched the clip then read the comments and I am unsure where some of this stuff comes from.

Habs and PK probably decided together or individually that PK should be star of his own donation. I mean, imagining pledging millions of dollars and your boss just piggybacks for a PR stunt. I'd be fuming.

That said, Weise doesn't know who won the vote but has suspicions. Who knows.

As for Weise in general. I like the guy and he should probably be grateful to MB and MT for giving him a career. This guy was livid in Vancouver and came here to a coach willing to play him on first line. Guy hit jackpot and earned himself millions that will support his family for years. He worked for it but he also got opportunity. It's a good story. I just wish at the time our best RW option after Gallagher wasn't Weise.

Reactions: Surfer72

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
There’s an important addendum to this - he promised to raise $9mm by a certain date AND bridge the gap with his own funds if need be (in addition to the first million out of his own pocket, if I recall correctly).

From his own account or as a fundraiser I'm glad he helped. Adding that stipulation means he was ready to keep his word and/or he thought the risk of not meeting target was minimal.

Reactions: MasterD

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I will always remember the last media scrum PK gave in the Habs locker room.

'I never question myself" was one of his answers....

Then, on his way out of the dressing room, he stopped by Patches, who was with other media, interrupted him, and gave him some kind of a hug. Patches was looking puzzled and embarrassed.

You can sense the shock and awkwardness from Patch.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
PK donation exposed how cheap Molson and the habs team are. He gave more money as one individual than all the molson organisation together. It make them look very bad. They hated PK for that. Not showing for such a big donation was and still is a very bad look on Bergevin and Molson.

Just for the work and the time PK was spending with the montreal kids in need, he should never have been traded

Again, he didn't donate that amount of money, he pledged it. Last I checked Drouin's check was bigger than the one PK cut. Athlete charities do bring money for organizations but unless they are volunteer run (this one isn't) and unless they partner with other agencies like the United Way (which this one doesn't), there is a lot of negative that goes into athlete charities (google around, it's a controversial issue). PK's wasn't the worst charity but it didn't make Molson look bad.

GigaMike

Dec 16, 2009
I can't say if that it true or not but when you think about it, the person in the team who did the most ad, it's him.
It's somewhat odd that a GM of a teams is the one who does commercials (Mcdonald's, Lasik MD, Weber) or even talk shows
But i can understand, Montreal isn't like other market

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

GigaMike

Dec 16, 2009
When you think about it, it's funny that for his persona, Subban was just in the wrong sport. In football or basketball, nobody would raise an eyebrow about him. Even baseball, a sport with way too much unwritten rules (just think about Tatis Jr), he would've fit easily. I don't know why but in hockey, it's frown upon to show personality or capitalize on it

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Nothing traditional at all about his attire and hairstyles/facial hair...

In a league full of hyper corporate/traditional GMs, MB has consistently chosen to try and stand out via his fashion...

Not a stretch to suspect that PKs ability to monopolize the spotlight ate at our wannabe fashionista GM.

The fashion industry could sink for all I care but this is such a silly comment. This is when this board veers into serious toxicity regarding Bergevin.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I can't say if that it true or not but when you think about it, the person in the team who did the most ad, it's him.
It's somewhat odd that a GM of a teams is the one who does commercials (Mcdonald's, Lasik MD, Weber) or even talk shows
But i can understand, Montreal isn't like other market

And Bob Gainey did ads for St-Hubert. Are we going to accuse him of wanting to be a superstar and to take the spotlight away from players as well? Aren't Bergevin's McD ads with players anyways? Like, criticize the guy's hockey work all you want but criticizing him strictly because he's a prominent figure is moronic. Just like it silly to criticize Subban for doing something on his own instead of through the franchise.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
You're right. Not sure where we are at to this day.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
And Bob Gainey did ads for St-Hubert. Are we going to accuse him of wanting to be a superstar and to take the spotlight away from players as well? Aren't Bergevin's McD ads with players anyways? Like, criticize the guy's hockey work all you want but criticizing him strictly because he's a prominent figure is moronic. Just like it silly to criticize Subban for doing something on his own instead of through the franchise.

You're kidding, right?

FYI, St-Hubert are the ones who asked Gainey and Habs players to participate in Ads for charity, including Celine Dion. All his money went to charity. The people from St-Hubert even mention that no stars have ever refused their invitation:

Pub St-Hubert: Pour une bonne cause!

Whereas Bergevin uses his ads to make childish digs and to arrogantly praise himself (erroneously, I might add):

Bergevin lance une pointe à P.K. Subban dans une publicité pour Weber - Balle Courbe

Bergevin has made publicities for McD (where he auto-proclaims himself as a legend) Ford, Weber and maybe others i've forgot. It's not a one-off for charity here. Bergevin is selling himself and no GM in Montreal has ever done that. So yeah, PK's stardom might've ticked off superstar GM Bergevin. To think it's not a possibility is completely ignoring the man's behavior and habits.

It's two completely different stories and a very bad comparison.

Find me an article that says Bergevin does this for charity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad