Rumor: Habs to test waters on Andrew Shaw

Galchenioretty

Galchenyuk 1 G in last 18 playoff Gs
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
By testing the waters I assume they mean legitimately pushing him off a cruise ship in an ocean because they can't be stupid enough to think someone's taking that contract.

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
I don't hate Shaw, despite the fact that he is overpaid. But Jesus Christ, who gives a 6 year contract to a 3rd liner?? I'd he was signed 4x2.5, almost nobody would have a problem with him.

Reactions: Runner77

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I don't hate Shaw, despite the fact that he is overpaid. But Jesus Christ, who gives a 6 year contract to a 3rd liner?? I'd he was signed 4x2.5, almost nobody would have a problem with him.

He's been a spark plug to an otherwise flat team. I respect him for that. I used to hate him. But, he's fine as a reasonably paid complementary player to a talented core.

The real problem we have is we don't have that talented core. Drouin, Radulov, Pacioretty and Galchenyuk would have been a start. But, you take Radulov out of that equation and we're screwed. Pacioretty and Galchenyuk are both shooters. They each need a playmaker to playwith. Without that second playmaker, we're a one line team. If we could get Duchene, another shooter, I would trade one of Pacioretty, Galcenyuk or Duchene for a playmakers. Our offensive core should be made up of two shooters and two playmakers. We have a ton of complementary players like Lehkonen, Byron, Gallagher, Hudon, Scherbak, Danault, and Shaw.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
It was impossible to see the Shaw trade turning out like this.

We really can't blame management for not only spending 2 2nd round picks on a bottom 6 player, but signing him without watching him play a game for his new team? That's just common sense.
I was happy with the Eller trade, then I was sad with the Shaw trade, then I nearly gave myself a concussion by banging my head against the wall once he got extended.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeThreeKings

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
I was happy with the Eller trade, then I was sad with the Shaw trade, then I nearly gave myself a concussion my banging my head against the wall once he got extended.

MB had Danault to do about the same job as Eller at 3C for a fraction of the price. In a cap world that’s a pretty good move. Then MB obliterated that move by acquiring Shaw and signing him to that contract.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I was happy with the Eller trade, then I was sad with the Shaw trade, then I nearly gave myself a concussion by banging my head against the wall once he got extended.

And lemme guess ... that concussion you almost had, got worse during the playoffs. :sarcasm:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Just listened to the interview he did after last game and wow it is vomit inducing. Can't believe a guy we got for a high price and high salary because of his kiriktr has the guts to say this team plays well and work hard.

Shit even Malakhov would look like a hard worker on this team. It's an insult to Malakhov to say this team works hard.

I officially can't stand Shaw anymore.

x-bob

Jul 9, 2004
Montreal
I may be in the minority but I feel that Shaw has been decent this season, particularly in the last 5 games (small sample size, I know...) and his cap hit isn’t that bad. Six years is a long time but I think it was a gamble that had the potential of being a good contract if concussions hadn’t stalled his offensive production.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Winning face off wins is crucial. I've seen things that Shaw does that I like. Keeper for now.

Then who do we replace to improve the team? Apparently everyone is a keeper. It's strange cause the standings tend to disagree with that. So we replace Patch? AG?

So we gonna go at war with Byron, Shaw, Danault, Gallagher, Lehkonen, ...

I think some people should dig the old VHS tape of the Houle era. It's more than needed. it really is.

Shaw along with Plekanec should be at the top of the list of guys to replace to improve the team. We have too many smallish 15-35 guys. Waaaayyyyy too many.

Reactions: Runner77

Zusammenhalt

Dump & chase-not a fan of
Jan 18, 2007
Depot Division
The problem with obtaining replacements is no team wants to give better than they get.

The team is still gelling. It does need good centring. This is definitely a work in progress.

Perhaps it will be a team that wins by committee.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->