Rumor: Habs to test waters on Andrew Shaw

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Well why reply to my post if you aren't going to read the post I was replying too and follow the conversation?

But whatever, your point is that because he has bad trade value we should trade him is just dumb. His contract isn't preventing us from doing anything because we have more cap space then we can possibly use. So the contract part is irrelevant to whether we should trade Shaw or not.

You are accusing me of not following a conversation? Quote specifically where I said we should trade him because he has bad trade value. If you are unable to do so withdraw the assertion.

My point is that Shaw’s contract is terrible and it creates roster inflexibility and diminishes him as an asset in the event we want to trade him. That is why his contract is a problem. Third line wingers are generally highly replaceable. I maintain the Habs commitment to him is entirely imprudent regardless of the present cap space surplus.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
You are accusing me of not following a conversation? Quote specifically where I said we should trade him because he has bad trade value. If you are unable to do so withdraw the assertion.

My point is that Shaw’s contract is terrible and it creates roster inflexibility and diminishes him as an asset in the event we want to trade him. That is why his contract is a problem. Third line wingers are generally highly replaceable. I maintain the Habs commitment to him is entirely imprudent regardless of the present cap space surplus.

So do you want to trade Shaw or not?

Because if you do, and it's because his contract, and not his play on the ice then my assertion stands. And you said as much in the bolded. You want to trade him because of roster inflexibility in the event we want to trade him. That roster inflexibility is based entirely on his lowered trade value. So you are saying you want to trade him because he has bad trade value.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
So do you want to trade Shaw or not?

Because if you do, and it's because his contract, and not his play on the ice then my assertion stands. And you said as much in the bolded. You want to trade him because of roster inflexibility in the event we want to trade him. That roster inflexibility is based entirely on his lowered trade value. So you are saying you want to trade him because he has bad trade value.

I want the OPTION to trade him for because he is an utterly average player REGARDLESS OF CONTRACT. I don’t think he is as good as Gallagher. To me he is a completely average third liner. Like all third liners he has his moments good and bad. Players like that are easy enough to find, and if we are going through a rebuild, I would like to see more youth in the roster.

I don’t want to trade him because of his roster inflexibility, I maintain that his contact creates roster inflexibility and diminishes his potential return.

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The thing is the Habs got him to play an in your face style and disrupt opponents. Problem is he just makes his team short handed, which was less of an issue in Chicago because they don’t have problems scoring.

Now he’s playing neutered because of his injuries. He’s like any other 4th liner. That’s about $2.5-3m wasted.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
The thing is the Habs got him to play an in your face style and disrupt opponents. Problem is he just makes his team short handed, which was less of an issue in Chicago because they don’t have problems scoring.

Now he’s playing neutered because of his injuries. He’s like any other 4th liner. That’s about $2.5-3m wasted.

Give me a break man, he and Gallagher lead the team for drawn penalties with 6!

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Give me a break man, he and Gallagher lead the team for drawn penalties with 6!

This is supposed to somehow not make him an albatross contract? Gomez put up almost 60 points with Montreal, still was a terrible contract no team except Montreal wanted.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
This is supposed to somehow not make him an albatross contract? Gomez put up almost 60 points with Montreal, still was a terrible contract no team except Montreal wanted.

It was a direct answer to the "Problem is he just makes his team short handed" quote.

Reactions: HankyZetts

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I want the OPTION to trade him for because he is an utterly average player REGARDLESS OF CONTRACT. I don’t think he is as good as Gallagher. To me he is a completely average third liner. Like all third liners he has his moments good and bad. Players like that are easy enough to find, and if we are going through a rebuild, I would like to see more youth in the roster.

I don’t want to trade him because of his roster inflexibility, I maintain that his contact creates roster inflexibility and diminishes his potential return.

You avoided the question, do you want him traded or not?

TheGame777

Jan 16, 2016
People should really check the market and see the comparables when talking about Shaw's contract.

TheGame777

Jan 16, 2016
Shaw has 2 goals and 7 points -10 in his last 30 games. Deluxe 4th liners are his comparable right now. Those usually are paid around 2 millions to 2,5 millions max.

``Right know`` That's the key word right here. Shaw is playing a lot better under Julien than he was for Therrien. He isn't taking the same penalties he was, and is more focused on hockey.

Just watch him tonight, I'll be on the GDT and we'll see how he plays and all the small things he does on the ice that make him an important piece on that team. I hope you'll be on the thread too and that you will bring it back to my face if he plays like shit and will give him credit when he does well.

If he is used like he is supposed, he will produce and score around 15 goals and 35 points.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
``Right know`` That's the key word right here. Shaw is playing a lot better under Julien than he was for Therrien. He isn't taking the same penalties he was, and is more focused on hockey.

Just watch him tonight, I'll be on the GDT and we'll see how he plays and all the small things he does on the ice that make him an important piece on that team. I hope you'll be on the thread too and that you will bring it back to my face if he plays like **** and will give him credit when he does well.

If he is used like he is supposed, he will produce and score around 15 goals and 35 points.

he's not. He wasnt last season. He is not right now.

TheGame777

Jan 16, 2016
You do realize those 30 games were all under Julien right?

Yes I do. He isn't producing like he should, but he looks way better under Julien.

He was one of the only two players last year that could bring the puck in the offensive zone. The guy has a lot of tools that he can use to help the team. Secondary scoring and depth is the reason that teams win stanley cup. So it is an important piece of the team and Shaw fit in that secondary scoring.

Give the guy time, he has 71 more games to go...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad