Habs to retire Guy Lapointe's jersey on November 8

greyboy67

Feb 11, 2004
About time! He was one of my favorite Canadiens in the 70's. His skill and passion for the game were off the charts, but he is often overlooked because of all the stars on those teams.

The Big 3 is re-united—Savard, Robinson, and Lapointe. Can you imagine having three Hall of Fame blue-liners on your team at the same time?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
"Pointu" was a huge factor in the success of the 70's era Habs teams. He still holds the team record for goals for a defenseman with 28. He is as deserving to have his number retired as Savard and Robinson. Well deserved and it's about time!

Insane stat- Habs record in 75-76 was 58-11-11 and 12-1 in the playoffs! Dynasty? Damn right and Lapointe was a huge contributor!

habitue*

On some nights , he was better than Robinson or Savard. A real workhorse and a great funny team mate.

greyboy67

Feb 11, 2004
It's worth repeating. 9 future Hall of Famers on the 1976-77 Canadiens:

Yvan Cournoyer
Jacques Lemaire
Serge Savard
Guy Lafleur
Ken Dryden
Guy LaPointe
Bob Gainey
Larry Robinson
Steve Shutt

In 2011 the Sporting News named the 1976-77 Montreal Canadiens the greatest team of all time.

How many of today's teams can claim to have more than one POSSIBLE future Hall of Famer?

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Does any body know the real reason why Bernie Geoffrion waited 4 decades to get number retired

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Does any body know the real reason why Bernie Geoffrion waited 4 decades to get number retired

You could say that Boom Boom had the 'Subban syndrome': brash, very vocal, loved the spotlight, etc.

He did ruffle some feathers within the higher spheres of the Organisation.

The Organisation was not enamoured with his style.

That could explain parts of it. That and the fact that before the Centennial celebrations, the Habs had stopped retiring numbers.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc

About time! He was one of my favorite Canadiens in the 70's. His skill and passion for the game were off the charts, but he is often overlooked because of all the stars on those teams.

The Big 3 is re-united—Savard, Robinson, and Lapointe. Can you imagine having three Hall of Fame blue-liners on your team at the same time?

I watched every Hab game I could through the yrs and they were amazing. I did miss the Habs- Russia game on New Years Eve in Ocean Falls, The transmitter on Mt. Carol Marianne was snowed in and the helicopter couldn't get up there. If I hadn't been working, I would have climbed up there to clear it of snow, Honestly! Then I heard on the news it was one, if not the best game ever played, I've since watched it dozens of times.

"Pointu" was a huge factor in the success of the 70's era Habs teams. He still holds the team record for goals for a defenseman with 28. He is as deserving to have his number retired as Savard and Robinson. Well deserved and it's about time!

Insane stat- Habs record in 75-76 was 58-11-11 and 12-1 in the playoffs! Dynasty? Damn right and Lapointe was a huge contributor!

He was also a huge factor for Team Canada, just Guy very unassuming pure Gentleman with a great sense of Humor, another facet every great team needs to lighten things at times. Loved him, his play and attitude.

On some nights , he was better than Robinson or Savard. A real workhorse and a great funny team mate.

I wouldn't ever make those comparisons, just out of my respect for all the players that have worn the jersey. All three were great players, and there were others on the team that could have been 1st pairing Dmen on many NHL teams.

It's worth repeating. 9 future Hall of Famers on the 1976-77 Canadiens:

Yvan Cournoyer
Jacques Lemaire
Serge Savard
Guy Lafleur
Ken Dryden
Guy LaPointe
Bob Gainey
Larry Robinson
Steve Shutt

In 2011 the Sporting News named the 1976-77 Montreal Canadiens the greatest team of all time.

How many of today's teams can claim to have more than one POSSIBLE future Hall of Famer?

This is so great for Guy and myself, says I so selfishly, he has his number retired on my birthday, I absolutely love it and will always remember that night, along with so many great nights of hockey I've enjoyed as a Hab fan.:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:It was supposed to be five handclaps for Guy's Number 5!!!!!.....YEAH I was watching Hockey Greats on the NHL station the Bobby Orr interview, He was asked about what a lot of people call the greatest upset in the NHL playoffs ever the 71 series Habs beat the Bruins in 7 games. Bobby became kine of flushed with embarrassment and said we underestimated the Habs, they always have good skating teams, with two of the best PMD's in Robinson & Lapointe. Gives one a good perspective about the type of man Orr is, always eager to give credit where it is due, a true sportsman. As are both Robinson and Lapointe, I'd love to see Orr there when they retire Guy's #5, they were teammates on the 76 Team Canada, IMHO the greatest team ever for Canada, absolutely beautiful hockey. For anyone who hasn't seen that whole series, it comes in a package with every game exhibition games too, I recommend it strongly, Bobby Orr was fantastic and the MVP, just All -Stars playing but all in great shape and playing hard hitting hockey. For any hockey fanatic too young to have seen these stars play, this series is just great and so many HOFers, I actually believe all of them that played in as regulars, 7 Habs, Perreault, Espo, Hull, Dionne, Sittler, Macdonald, Clarke, Potvin, the list is phenomenal as were the competition!

Last edited:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Don't be surprised to see this Thread make comebacks leading up to Guy Lapointe's big night. Being one of Canada's best Dmen ever along with Robinson & Savard, Savard of course was injured twice early in his career broken legs, if memory serves properly. Savard while not quite in Bobby Orr's speed was literally the closest Dman to Orr before his injuries at least IMHO.:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Tarasenko

Unregistered User
Oct 11, 2011
He has always been in the shade of Robinson and Savard. Underrated defenseman, really happy to see this recognition towards himself

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad