Post-Game Talk: Habs survive and beat Calgary to take a 6pt lead for 4th

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I thought Caufield played well all things considered. It's tough to come in and play your first game against a big team that traps and smothers the play like the Flames. The games against them are always so sloppy and almost feels like your playing in quicksand.

Flames are a gritty team. They tested us to the max and Habs were lucky to win last night IMO.

Caufield was as advertised. A small but dangerous forward in open space. It will look better when we face teams that are weak in transition. Flames didn't let us take advantage of our transition game and it showed! It's our team strength and if you take that away, we struggle to score.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Jake Allen is really solid. Gives me hope.
Allen's been great. I can't imagine where the team would be with any of our previous backups.

That said, we now have to worry about overworking him. With Price out and Allen our de facto starter, we're once again relying on wobbly backups if we don't want to burn out Allen. The good news is that we're close to clinching a playoff spot. Once we're in we can afford to give him a break.

Needless to say, Price's status is completely up in the air. He could return in a couple of weeks or for the playoffs. Or not at all. And if he returns for the playoffs, how rusty will he be?

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
IF THE CANUCKS GO, THE HABS HAVE TO GO:

7-7 (55 PTS) 3-6 (57 PTS)
8-6 (57 PTS) 4-5 (59 PTS)
9-5 (59 PTS) 5-4 (61 PTS)
10-4 (61 PTS) 6-3 (63 PTS)
11-3 (63 PTS) 7-2 (65 PTS)
12-2 (65 PTS) 8-1 (67 PTS)
13-1 (67 PTS) 9-0 (69 PTS)
14-0 (69 PTS)

IF THE FLAMES GO, THE HABS HAVE TO GO:

4-4 (53 PTS) 2-7 (55 PTS)
5-3 (55 PTS) 3-6 (57 PTS)
6-2 (57 PTS) 4-5 (59 PTS)
7-1 (59 PTS) 5-4 (61 PTS)
8-0 (61 PTS) 6-3 (63 PTS)

If we can find a way to win 4 games, both Calgary and Vancouver have to better than .500 the rest of the way to have a shot. Canucks are the biggest threat to our chances simply because of the amount of games they have left.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Allen's been great. I can't imagine where the team would be with any of our previous backups.

That said, we now have to worry about overworking him. With Price out and Allen our de facto starter, we're once again relying on wobbly backups if we don't want to burn out Allen. The good news is that we're close to clinching a playoff spot. Once we're in we can afford to give him a break.

Needless to say, Price's status is completely up in the air. He could return in a couple of weeks or for the playoffs. Or not at all. And if he returns for the playoffs, how rusty will he be?
We don't actually have the ability to "clinch" until Vancouver has played and lost about 10 games. With 14 games remaining they will have the ability to "catch" us until we create a massive gap. Now if they won their games in hand alone they'd be tied with us. We aren't far enough ahead to rest anyone.

Reactions: MON4NHLTOR4MLB

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
MAB was a much bigger threat offensively than Gus unless I am missing something. Don't understand the acquisition at all. Weber can still score if the execution is there.
MAB! haven't heard that in a while.

MAB had a bomb from the point, whereas Gus will be asked to distribute as the QB on the umbrella PP.

Armia
CC Toffoli NS
Gus

...with the ideal play being Gus->NS->CC.

Reactions: swimmer77

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
That's the bingo card piece.. is expecting a 5'7" sniper to go throw a hit and get dirty on the boards is stupid, and not only is it stupid it takes him away from his best asset.

He's going to be dangerous off the rush and the cycle by getting open and using his shot. Using him in the trenches just diminishes his value as a player.
Exactly. But like I said, this team needs to have some kind of star talent up front for guys like Caulfield etc. Guys like him are complimentary players who can certainly do a bit on their own, but to truly bring everything out of them, you need that super star. Someone to bring it all together. Someone to double shift when the team is losing. Montreal doesn't have that guy in their system. They won't go far with a team of complimentary players. 2022 and 2023 might have those kind of players. They need to focus on those drafts and try and get top picks. Imagine Caufield, Suzuki, KK, Anderson, Poehling, Ylonen with an actual franchise star forward or 2? Now imagine them without.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
I don’t think the market is where you think it is.
I was mostly assessing the comparison to Lindholm's contract.

I'm aware of the impact the flat cap has (and teams still not having fully adjusted), and of the impact Seattle's arrival may have also (by allowing teams to dump bad contracts, or by offering players more to get them due to having the cap space).

Craig Smith, who I feel is a player who is comparable to Danault in the eyes of GMs accross the league, signed for only 3.1M (3 years) last offseason. Adam Lowry signed for 3.25M (5 years) a few weeks ago. Dubois (5M, 2 years), Cirelli (4.8M, 3 years), and Tierney (3.25M, 5 years) could also all be used as comparison, though they were RFAs. In terms of actual impact, regardless of age, Cirelli might be the closest comparable of all of those players (~0.5 ppg, great defensively), with Smith (who is 3 years older so closer to "falling off a cliff"). I think it will all come down to 1) whether GMs are worried that he is carried by Gallagher, and 2) whether Danault wants short term to sign a more lucrative contract at 30-31 years old, or if he wants long term (which would bring the AAV up compared to a shorter term). A ask of around 5M, even in COVID times, for 4-5 years, doesn't seem unreasonable from Danault.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
No doubt, Caufield is a NHL player, he just need to play with a center named Suzuki or Kotkaniemi. Not Danault or Staal.
No doubt he will become one, but as for now he looks exactly like undersized 15th pick with one good trait. He barely survided out there with Danault. He would bust immediately with Suzie/KK. Extremely short player, extremely short stick, average skater for his size. That's not a reliable recipe. He's not ready.

Reactions: dnl4ever

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
No doubt, Caufield is a NHL player, he just need to play with a center named Suzuki or Kotkaniemi. Not Danault or Staal.
It amazes me, that we have had something like 12-13 games now, where we have scored 2 goals or less 11 out of 13 games, and we put a scorer like CC with Danault? A defence first kind of guy? So, we are back to the frame of mind, that we are trying not to get scored on, instead of trying to score, to actually WIN the game?
Over the past few weeks, after losing Gally, we are 4-8 and can't score to save our lives, and we continue to see the same mash up of the 12 forwards? DD is so much like CJ right now, it's noticeable......he might be a little better than CJ with his usage of players, but it's debateable.
Our D first philosophy for ALL 4 lines, is a huge mistake. Let these kids who can score, fly!! The teams that score goals, do not expect every player to play a 200 ft game.

Reactions: Habs Icing

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
No doubt he will become one, but as for now he looks exactly like undersized 15th pick with one good trait. He barely survided out there with Danault. He would bust immediately with Suzie/KK. Extremely short player, extremely short stick, average skater for his size. That's not a reliable recipe. He's not ready.
He was very good with Laval...............because he was put in a position to succeed.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Flames are a gritty team. They tested us to the max and Habs were lucky to win last night IMO.

Caufield was as advertised. A small but dangerous forward in open space. It will look better when we face teams that are weak in transition. Flames didn't let us take advantage of our transition game and it showed! It's our team strength and if you take that away, we struggle to score.

That I agree with. I think he will have more space against the Maple Leafs.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
I know Gustafsson got a bad rap for his defensive play, but I honestly haven't seen that so far. He made a couple mistakes which were no worse than Weber or Chiarot. He also made a couple good defensive plays. It's a small sample size for sure, but if he can help the transition game and the PP without being terrible in his own end, I think he should keep playing. It's too bad they can't switch Chiarot for Romanov to be honest. I don't get why Merril hasn't replaced Chiarot either. Maybe it's the side they play on? I haven't looked tbo.

Reactions: angusyoung

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I know Gustafsson got a bad rap for his defensive play, but I honestly haven't seen that so far. He made a couple mistakes which were no worse than Weber or Chiarot. He also made a couple good defensive plays. It's a small sample size for sure, but if he can help the transition game and the PP without being terrible in his own end, I think he should keep playing. It's too bad they can't switch Chiarot for Romanov to be honest. I don't get why Merril hasn't replaced Chiarot either. Maybe it's the side they play on? I haven't looked tbo.
Agreed, so far, so good....
Our guys, like Weber and Chariot need reduced ice times.......it could help their overall game. Even it out between all 3 pairs at this point.
Hated to see romanov removed from the team's lineup last night.

Reactions: angusyoung

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
A few observations from last night...

- a win's a win but that was not convincing, especially the first dozen minutes of the second
- like most here, I thought Evans was their best player
- Evans and Lekhonen were vastly faster than anyone else
- Suzuki, Armia and Toffoli were pretty good in the 3rd
- Anderson was a beast in the first but the KK line was not very impressive
- Caufield will be a scorer
- Petry and Weber are making too many bad decisions with the puck. Just like a forward can be in an offensive slump and lose his confidence around the net, they've both lost their confidence with the puck, especially Weber.
- Gustaffson is not very good at all. Nobody can tell me that Romanov and Kulak aren't much better than he is.
- Allen was solid once again
- Once the injured come back, a break for Perry and Staal would be beneficial for both.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

I think Price's career is over. They won't announce it, he may play another game or two.. but getting concussed after a love tap like that suggests he's at the end.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Agreed, so far, so good....
Our guys, like Weber and Chariot need reduced ice times.......it could help their overall game. Even it out between all 3 pairs at this point.
Hated to see romanov removed from the team's lineup last night.
If Weber produces, I'm somewhat fine with his defensive play. But last night was the first time in a long time. Petry has been just as invisible for months too. You just can't have that and hope to win. I really like Romanov, but he's got to help offensively at some point.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
If Weber produces, I'm somewhat fine with his defensive play. But last night was the first time in a long time. Petry has been just as invisible for months too. You just can't have that and hope to win. I really like Romanov, but he's got to help offensively at some point.
Outside of Anderson and Toffolli the entire forward group has gone awol.
Romanov was the only Dman hitting anyone.....some real sad decisions have been made...I guess at this point, we shouldn't be surprised.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Allen needs to be our playoff goalie.

6th in the league in saves above expected.

Price's decline and injuries are not going to magically disappear playoff time.

Reactions: dnl4ever

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
McDavid plays around 23min per game, that's not something Suzuki can handle. He looks dead already on most nights.
They don't play the same game. Suzuki takes care of two hundred feet of ice. Besides the ice he drops in his bourbon, McDavid worries only about 65 feet of ice.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad